Rant and Rave Without Repercussion: Season 5 Continued (Book Spoilers)

Chebyshov

Well, it's not like she doesn't think about her often in the books or anything. And her thoughts of Lady almost always include thoughts of Sandor, because there's a HUGE connection there. She thinks of Lady, and there he is. Again and again and again. They even included the damn line, get her a dog, she'll be happier. But that would get in the way of her playing a different character...

You know, it would have been helpful if they had just given them all different names and said "inspired by" ASOIAF, just go all out from the start, why even bother to pretend these are the same characters or stories.

That's right, but considering that show!Ghost is AWOL, Lady's memory and Sansa's thoughts of Lady and home, are AWOL too. 

You know, it would have been helpful if they had just given them all different names and said "inspired by" ASOIAF, just go all out from the start, why even bother to pretend these are the same characters or stories.

False Advertising, perhaps?

Yeah, they roped us in, and here we are, still wishing they'd done a faithful version.

It's like Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront. Here he is speaking for the adaptation: "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody. Instead of a bum. Which is what I am, let's face it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBiewQrpBBA

(I had to go there, I love that movie so much....)

And experienced writers that have actually read the books. But, D & D, seem like the type of guys who just want everyone to nod their heads and go, "hmm hmm, that's just a great idea you have there."

Actually just looked at the numbers. D&D have WRITTEN 34 episodes out of 50, and wrote the story on another (Script was done by Jane Espenson, her only credit with the series). The other writers: Cogman's written seven, GRRM his own self four, Vanessa Taylor three, and Dave the Intern Hill one. 

Yeah, they roped us in, and here we are, still wishing they'd done a faithful version.

Now you're making me feel like I'm an enabler or something. :laugh:

It's like Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront. Here he is speaking for the adaptation: "You don't understand. I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody. Instead of a bum. Which is what I am, let's face it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBiewQrpBBA

(I had to go there, I love that movie so much....)

An appropriate analogy I'd say.

Espensen co-wrote the teleplay with Benioff and Weiss:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837862/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_wr#writers

I can see why she didn't last:

The first thing I did was type out all the dialogue from the book. It was voluminous compared to what will fit in a script. So I had to pare it down and write material to move more quickly between topics... where I wrote new material I absolutely tried to match Martin's style. The ability to match voices is something you use over and over in TV.

Is it easier or harder to write something based on such a famous story, where you don't have a lot of freedom to play with the characters, were there times where you wanted the story to go a different way but couldn't because of how the story was written?

I can imagine that happening, but honestly it really didn't. I have such respect for George RR Martin's story sense that I never felt a pull in another direction.

http://connect.hbo.com/events/game-thrones/jane-espenson/

I thought she did 'A Golden Crown'?

She did, she co-wrote the script with D&D based on a story by D&D. I overstated her role, I'm certain no one with ovaries is gonna mess up their golden prose without their imput

Actually just looked at the numbers. D&D have WRITTEN 34 episodes out of 50, and wrote the story on another (Script was done by Jane Espenson, her only credit with the series). The other writers: Cogman's written seven, GRRM his own self four, Vanessa Taylor three, and Dave the Intern Hill one. 

Interesting stats. Thanks. I'll have to file that away in old brain housing group.

Umber?

Lord of Noble Northern House: (Aged 25 – 40).

He is a “big tall crazy Hell’s Angel type of character“, who must be well over 6 feet tall, or at the very least 180cm.
He is a savage warrior who rules a powerful and distinguished house in the very far north.
He is a bear of a man with a beard and temper to match, with a hatred that runs deep.
He must have a “BIG powerful physique”, and must tower over other cast members.
He is known to be violent.
He has a very dry wit and an element of swagger to him.
He is “pretty spectacular on the battlefield”.

http://watchersonthewall.com/filming-begins-in-magilligan-and-moneyglass-northern-lord-still-not-cast/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

Too little, too fucking late.

She did, she co-wrote the script with D&D based on a story by D&D. I overstated her role, I'm certain no one with ovaries is gonna mess up their golden prose without their imput

Well, her departure could be seen either as them shuffling her off or her realizing it wasn't a good place to be.  I loved her work on Dollhouse, felt like she had more misses than hits on BSG, but when she hit it was out of the park.  Had her input been given fair hearing, I'd agree some of the issues on the show might not be so bad.

Umber?

Lord of Noble Northern House: (Aged 25 – 40).

He is a “big tall crazy Hell’s Angel type of character“, who must be well over 6 feet tall, or at the very least 180cm.
He is a savage warrior who rules a powerful and distinguished house in the very far north.
He is a bear of a man with a beard and temper to match, with a hatred that runs deep.
He must have a “BIG powerful physique”, and must tower over other cast members.
He is known to be violent.
He has a very dry wit and an element of swagger to him.
He is “pretty spectacular on the battlefield”.

http://watchersonthewall.com/filming-begins-in-magilligan-and-moneyglass-northern-lord-still-not-cast/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

Too little, too fucking late.

Almost certainly Umber.  My guess on the other Northern Lord is Karstark because of the somewhat negative adjectives used to describe him.

I loved Firefly. That ended much too soon. Rather fond of Out of Gas. I even bought the books with all the scripts. I love "making of" books, and those are great.

Also, I have never bought a "making of" Game of Thrones book, just saying...

Almost certainly Umber.  My guess on the other Northern Lord is Karstark because of the somewhat negative adjectives used to describe him.

I didn't see the the call for the other northern Lord...

I loved Firefly. That ended much too soon. Rather fond of Out of Gas. I even bought the books with all the scripts. I love "making of" books, and those are great.

I know a lot of people don't like the LotR film adaptation, I do. And when you watch all the extras and commentaries and such... I imagine these are the same in both DVD sets - regular and extended - but the amount of detail they wanted to get right, the respect for the source material they show...
[I think it's ] PJ talks about how Christopher Lee, a HUGE Tolkien fan - would make suggestions based on the books, and how they'd always try to adjust whatever so that it'd be more faithful. They, unlike D&D, encouraged people to read the books and share opinions and suggestions. And it shows, it's all there.

Archived