Why I Think Jon Snow Is Dead and Gone

Joseph Nobles

Without him, the wildlings will revolt like the citizens of Rome after Caesar’s assassination. 

I don't buy the consensus of the wildlings wrecking havoc because of Jon Snow.

The 'death' of Mance meant much more and they had to silently swallow that one.

Yes they owe Snow a big one, but the wildlings are not emotionally invested in him.

FTW for them must seem some "crow internal stuff", no different from the death of LC Mormont, of how wildlings leaders might deal their differences.  

I don't buy the consensus of the wildlings wrecking havoc because of Jon Snow.

The 'death' of Mance meant much more and they had to silently swallow that one.

Yes they owe Snow a big one, but the wildlings are not emotionally invested in him.

FTW for them must seem some "crow internal stuff", no different from the death of LC Mormont, of how wildlings leaders might deal their differences.  

There's a lot more of them than when Mance was 'executed'

and with Jon gone they know they know there's nothing holding the already hostile NIght's Watch back from attacking them, so they'll try to strike the first blow

The mutineers might even try to frame them for Jon's assassination anyway

Yes, Jon is dead.

But he will be resurrected.

The amount of foreshadowing for this is laughable, in both the books and the show.

This.

Yes. Jon is dead. You can't resurrect someone who's only mostly dead.

Death is the only way to get him out of his Night's Watch vows.

The fact that one of the changes they made was having Mel leave Dragonstone to hunt for Gendry, who just happened to be with Beric and Thoros, who just happened to have resurrected Beric multiple times, who just happens to also be a Red Priest, and Mel just happens to "get" that Beric was once deader than dead but has been brought back by Thoros via R'hllor........ and now Mel has just happened to arrive back at the Wall, where she has no business being, aside from being a convenient way for Jon to return from the dead.

Seriously. Why isn't she headed to Asshai? 

And John Harrison says, "HELLO!"

Think back to the Red Wedding.  And Catelyn Stark.

At the end of that season, everyone was coy about whether the actress or the character (un-dead or otherwise) would be coming back.

Lots of "no comment" or "I can't say". From people in the know.

This time around, it's a lock step parade of "He's dead.  Neither Jon Nor Kit are coming back".

Yeah, right...

Methinks they doth protest too much.

This.

Yes. Jon is dead. You can't resurrect someone who's only mostly dead.

Death is the only way to get him out of his Night's Watch vows.

The fact that one of the changes they made was having Mel leave Dragonstone to hunt for Gendry, who just happened to be with Beric and Thoros, who just happened to have resurrected Beric multiple times, who just happens to also be a Red Priest, and Mel just happens to "get" that Beric was once deader than dead but has been brought back by Thoros via R'hllor........ and now Mel has just happened to arrive back at the Wall, where she has no business being, aside from being a convenient way for Jon to return from the dead.

All of which is convenient shorthand for however GRRM will get the idea of raising Jon Snow into Mel's head. It's all set up and ready to go, I agree. What I disagree on is whether her efforts will ultimately be successful. I don't think she can do it on her own. In the show, she's just come off of a serious letdown. Now it's true: fanatics have a way of seizing on the next big project and throwing their all behind it. But I think she will go with the sure thing here - Thoros. He's gotten people up on their feet before. He's the one to raise Jon Snow. They throw his body on ice and ride south to go get him and get caught up in the Riverland storyline. That accomplished, they will ride north again, just in time to be too late. The Others approach. The Wall falls, and Winter gets a serious burst of speed and heads South, Ice to clash with Dany's Fire.

All of which is convenient shorthand for however GRRM will get the idea of raising Jon Snow into Mel's head. It's all set up and ready to go, I agree. What I disagree on is whether her efforts will ultimately be successful. I don't think she can do it on her own. In the show, she's just come off of a serious letdown. Now it's true: fanatics have a way of seizing on the next big project and throwing their all behind it. But I think she will go with the sure thing here - Thoros. He's gotten people up on their feet before. He's the one to raise Jon Snow. They throw his body on ice and ride south to go get him and get caught up in the Riverland storyline. That accomplished, they will ride north again, just in time to be too late. The Others approach. The Wall falls, and Winter gets a serious burst of speed and heads South, Ice to clash with Dany's Fire.

I think Mel will simply resurrect Jon herself. All her wishy washy premonitions and prophecies will come to a head with her finally getting something right. Everyone's faith in Mel is pretty much zero at this point. This is her big turnaround I think.

I think Mel will simply resurrect Jon herself. All her wishy washy premonitions and prophecies will come to a head with her finally getting something right. Everyone's faith in Mel is pretty much zero at this point. This is her big turnaround I think.

Yep.

The character (Mel) needs to either redeem herself or go away.

I say she redeems herself via a magical version of CPR on Jon.

Yep.

The character (Mel) needs to either redeem herself or go away.

I say she redeems herself via a magical version of CPR on Jon.

I think she'll try, but something will blow up (perhaps icily) in her face, resulting in her death and his resurrection by some other force.

Maybe Thoros of Myr will show up, eh? Get rid of Melly and put Thoros back in the mix.

I don't know why but "Melly" cracked me up. Smelly Melly...

Anyway, Jon is Melly's story, not Thoros. He found his faith and she has to regain hers. Or something like that. Pretty much I think R'hollr likes his peeps to hit rock bottom. He's large that way.

Well, if Jon is dead and gone for good, then that would make Dany the undeniable savior of Westeros unless Bran can pull a miracle. I am not thinking Jon is dead for long. I do think the conspirators may hide his body and sword which would avoid the burning thing but then again Mel is there so I think the kiss if he gets it could and would bring him back. - and then, and then, Mel strips and mounts him and produces a psychotic shadow baby.... Sorry, just kidding. I could see her pulling some necropheliac stuff with him though. The show as not gone down that road of depravity yet, so it is possible.

Well, if Jon is dead and gone for good, then that would make Dany the undeniable savior of Westeros unless Bran can pull a miracle. I am not thinking Jon is dead for long. I do think the conspirators may hide his body and sword which would avoid the burning thing but then again Mel is there so I think the kiss if he gets it could and would bring him back. - and then, and then, Mel strips and mounts him and produces a psychotic shadow baby.... Sorry, just kidding. I could see her pulling some necropheliac stuff with him though. The show as not gone down that road of depravity yet, so it is possible.

Remember how GRRM said he's throwing tropes out the window, yo?

If Jon's dead, Dany ain't the "one and only savior of westeros". Jorah will have to kill her to get the blood of the dragon (blood because stabbed, duh), thus Jorah becomes AA and saves Westeros.

Over on Watchers (on that thread I linked to), someone posted links to possible descriptions of the first 1.5 episodes. Well, don't rush over to see them: Sue The Fury evidently has contacts in the production and says they are 100% fake. And I can see that, but there was one absolutely delicious suggestion made in them (everything else was lame, off, or just could have been guessed).

The one thing that really got my attention: is there a way to do spoilers here? Oh, well, suffice it to say this - Mel pulls the Rayder glamour trick (unused in GoT) on Jon's body. She's unable to raise him up, but she stashes his body and talks someone else into standing in. That would be a good way to burn Jon's body and still have him available for resurrection.

Yet since the synopses are fakes, there's no guarantee that's happening at all. But that kind of solution solves problems for everyone's favorite theory - unless you think Jon will hop up out of the flames like his cousin did back in Season 1. That also would be a hell of a thing to see.

Remember how GRRM said he's throwing tropes out the window, yo?

If Jon's dead, Dany ain't the "one and only savior of westeros". Jorah will have to kill her to get the blood of the dragon (blood because stabbed, duh), thus Jorah becomes AA and saves Westeros.

Yo, I am not so sure about that but if creatively it makes sense, D&D will do it anyways.

Archived