Why I Think Jon Snow Is Dead and Gone

Joseph Nobles

Jon's death doesn't actually make sense unless the story at the Wall is over. Unless every dream in the book and all the references in the show to AA and R+L didn't really matter.
Who cares about the Wall if Olly and Alliser are running things? No one.
Who roots for humanity when the one LC who actually understood what his vows meant (ie Wildlings are people too and they aren't why the wall was built) is killed by his own men out of ignorance and fear?

Sure there are a lot of stories going on with tons of other characters, but the only story that was dealing with the seemingly unstoppable force of nature that is the WW was Jon's story. That's it. Cersei trying to keep her family on the throne, bandits in the Riverlands, FM training in Braavos, Dany trying to rule in Mereen... none of them have even hinted at being aware of or remotely prepared for one of the largest overall story lines in the series. The fact that zombies and their icy puppet masters are bringing back the long night. Without Jon... well, no story is that hopeless and dark.

The real question is what will Jon do in the show, now that they've already cast this Night's King fella.

http://img08.deviantart.net/e9a3/i/2012/020/c/d/surtr_by_greengrove-d4n1qe5.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised in they gave him some other person's storyline.  Stannis, maybe.  Davos, Brienne.  Or Jaime, the one-handed God of War. 

I think Jon will be back but yes he could be dead, his story could have come to an abrupt end, as have many other Starks. And as for who defeats the WWs then, well Dany and her dragons ofc. Jon dying does not mean there is no hope and thus the WWs will def win.

But I do think it unlikely now, as if he is going to die then it should be meaningful and it should be at the hands of the Night's King and his brave death inspires others or even alerts others to the greatest danger they face.

I think Jon will be back but yes he could be dead, his story could have come to an abrupt end, as have many other Starks. And as for who defeats the WWs then, well Dany and her dragons ofc. Jon dying does not mean there is no hope and thus the WWs will def win.

But I do think it unlikely now, as if he is going to die then it should be meaningful and it should be at the hands of the Night's King and his brave death inspires others or even alerts others to the greatest danger they face.

I agree. Yeah, he might be dead, okay... But His death was that of mutiny. It inspired nothing while all the other Starks' deaths inspired many, many events in the plot. Jon meant too much to the Night's Watch, the plot lines in the North, and even to us, the audience, to be given a meaningless death. 

He could very well be dead & gone. For those of you pointing out that GRRM said Jon would find out who his parents are - that's book Jon, not show Jon. 

The show is the show & the books are the books.  It may well turn out that Jon is alive - not necessarily well, but alive - in WoW, but that's not to say show Jon isn't dead & gone.  Yes, Kit Harrington has been sighted in Belfast, but all that may indicate is that he's there to film Jon Snow's funeral scene, as Jack Gleason & Charles Dance have done for their own characters in past episodes.

He could very well be dead & gone. For those of you pointing out that GRRM said Jon would find out who his parents are - that's book Jon, not show Jon. 

The show is the show & the books are the books.  It may well turn out that Jon is alive - not necessarily well, but alive - in WoW, but that's not to say show Jon isn't dead & gone.  Yes, Kit Harrington has been sighted in Belfast, but all that may indicate is that he's there to film Jon Snow's funeral scene, as Jack Gleason & Charles Dance have done for their own characters in past episodes.

Stop it. Jon Snow will be coming back in both the  tv show and the book. The real question for many of us isn't whether he comes back, but "HOW" he will return. There has been endless discussion in the book section about his rebirth/ reborn/ return/ resurrection. Next season should answer all those questions since I'm pretty certain Jon's return will remain close to what will be in the book.

Nope.  Not stopping it.

We don't know what's going to be in the next book & even if he does turn out to be alive in the next one there's no assurances D&D will follow suit.  They are blazing their own trail more & more.

I'll be as happy as anyone if it turns out Jon is alive in book & show - R+L=J & all that, to say nothing of the prophetic signs surrounding the character - but we ain't got no proof.

Yet.

Yep he's almost certainly back which is good news for me, they had me worried I must say. It's now about the who, where his story goes from here.  I would be very surprised if it's in a different direction from the books but there is a small chance it could be.

Archived