The Ramsay Bolton Show: For Want of a Villain

Doremus Coldwater

Agreed. I think the scene between Roose and Littlefinger proved that Lord Bolton can be dangerous no matter who you pair him with, and yet he just sat there being passive so Ramsay could look so much more active.

Agreed (although having said that...that scene of Roose demanding to see Littlefinger reply before it gets sent, is kinda undercut by LF immediately packing his bags to travel in person down to KL and tattle to Cersei).

I agree that roose would have been a much better Villain. I think however the problem they found themselves with was once Sansa was moved to winterfell, and theons story was central, Ramsey had to be a bigger focus. I do kind of hate the portrayal however

Sansa was the major character in that region with Theon a close second but the nature of the storyline put them under Ramsay's thumb. That combined with them using Ramsay to get rid of Stannis made Ramsay the star in the North after Jon. It just worked out that way. However, I think if Sansa had not been raped but was being held just as a captive but got away many of us would not be so sickened with the Winterfell plot afterall.

Show Ramsay is a bit of a try hard, his villainy feels forced. Plus he's way too overpowered and cartoony. joffrey was an idiot and got slaped, and humilated many times Ramsay is portrayed as a super intelligent unstoppable villain and thats lame and more obnoxious than fun to hate. i enjoyed Tywin, Cersei and joffrey as villains better

They really underuse Roose Bolton.  The actor is great, and the character is mysterious, and sinister.  I don't know why they continue to showcase Ramsay--he is one note, and quite tedious.

This
Roose is a far more sophisticated villain with a longterm perspective, an intelligent, complex villain with Tywin potential. Ramsay is easy to hate, there is no ambiguity in him.
If the showmakers want our heroes to shine they have to give them worthy antagonists: A very intelligent Baelish, and Roose as strategic thinker.

Apart from the ever looming danger that one of our favorite heroes breaks bad - Jon, Dany, Tyrion as most important characters , Sansa and Arya as less important - and they can serve as antagonists: who else has true villain potential?
Varys? Citadel sorcerers? Qyburn? Cartoonish pirates? Ellaria and her Snakes? Yesyes, our favorite ice guys but that is not enough, mankind united against global cooling, too much of The Day After Tomorrow.

The strange thing is that Roose is already very hate able as the man who killed Robb Stark, so I found the decision to downplay him as an antagonist/villain this season peculiar. I'm not even saying that they should have cut Ramsay's villainy down (although sometimes I think they tried a bit too hard to make him the charismatic villain - good looking, topless fighting, '20 good men' etc) but some extra screen time for Roose would have been a good move imo. Hopefully he'll have more of a presence next Season. The scenes he was in showed that Roose has potential to be a much more interesting and sophisticated villain than the show has made of Ramsay. The scene with Littlefinger demonstrated this very well.
I also thought that the addition of Myranda did nothing at all to help the storyline or create a compelling character of Ramsay, and her screen time could probably have been better served by giving it to the other characters in Winterfell. In particular, I felt Theon was under-used, and the storyline could have benefitted from exploring his character more.

The scenes he was in showed that Roose has potential to be a much more interesting and sophisticated villain than the show has made of Ramsay. The scene with Littlefinger demonstrated this very well.

I'm not so sure they would want a sophisticated interesting villain.

I'm not even sure they would want sophisticated interesting characters or storyline at all...

I'm not so sure they would want a sophisticated interesting villain.

I'm not even sure they would want sophisticated interesting characters or storyline at all...

Just a completely pointless comment. It's like, OK we get it, you hate the show and D & D raped your adulthood. Isn't it enough that you have an entire thread where no one can disagree with you and you can vent to your hearts delight?

Yep, Ramsay was too cartoonish. Instead of "Ser Twenty of House Goodmen", it should have been Roose who should have gotten more screen-time. Ramsey was better of as an evil psycho rather than an all-round evil genius. In Joffery's case it was him the psycho and Tywin the brains and I believe Roose should have been used the same way.

Maybe they could have given us the Stannis vs Boltons in Season 6, instead of the way it ended. 

Roose not getting a scrap of screentime in the final battle of Stannis vs. the Boltons really confused me, and ticked me off.

I would put Roose Bolton and Walder Frey as the chief villains left in the books.  It doesn't seem that way in the tv version.  The Freys are extremely sidelined.

As a lover of the Stoneheart subplot, and Manderly's Frey Pies, I'm of course disappointed.  A lot of 'haha, take THAT you nasty bastards!' potential has been shorn, and that's a shame.

Sometimes I think D&D really capitalize on the 'make the viewer' suffer.  Yes, that is an element of GRRM's writing, but there are also lots of dark, gleeful 'take that you baddies! HA!' moments that bring a perverse pleasure to the reader/(viewer) and those moments are missing in the show.

I think Iwan Rheon has been a bit underrated, when there has been the odd scene that's really focused on Ramsey's motivations rather than just using him to push other characters plots he has shown he can show a good deal of emotional subtley. The issue is though IMHO that theres actually been very little of that, just a handful of conservations with Roose.

I suspect that Ramsey is going to bechasing Sansa and Theon next season and either get killed or at least separate from Roose who will come to the fore with a more political story.

The scenes he was in showed that Roose has potential to be a much more interesting and sophisticated villain than the show has made of Ramsay. The scene with Littlefinger demonstrated this very well.

I hated the scene between Roose and LF.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that LF sent a raven to Roose, someone we have no indication that he has ever met before and who he clearly does not trust, confessing his treason.

I hated the scene between Roose and LF.  I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that LF sent a raven to Roose, someone we have no indication that he has ever met before and who he clearly does not trust, confessing his treason.

I meant more in the sense of Roose putting Littlefinger in his place. A villain versus villain moment if you like. It laid the potential for Roose as a formidable villain in the North (and he's a character we are already inclined to hate, for murdering the "hero" in Season 3) without having it be over the top.

The strange thing is that Roose is already very hate able as the man who killed Robb Stark, so I found the decision to downplay him as an antagonist/villain this season peculiar. I'm not even saying that they should have cut Ramsay's villainy down (although sometimes I think they tried a bit too hard to make him the charismatic villain - good looking, topless fighting, '20 good men' etc) but some extra screen time for Roose would have been a good move imo. Hopefully he'll have more of a presence next Season. The scenes he was in showed that Roose has potential to be a much more interesting and sophisticated villain than the show has made of Ramsay. The scene with Littlefinger demonstrated this very well.
I also thought that the addition of Myranda did nothing at all to help the storyline or create a compelling character of Ramsay, and her screen time could probably have been better served by giving it to the other characters in Winterfell. In particular, I felt Theon was under-used, and the storyline could have benefitted from exploring his character more.

Roose was considered the real danger in Winterfell by Littlefinger and Sansa, only on her wedding night did she realize Ramsay was dangerous too. This is an example of on the show, the attention Roose demands via his presence and of course reputation. i think you are right, he will come more to the forefront next season, probably by putting Ramsay in his place for ruining what should be a triumphant moment for their house by letting Sansa Stark Bolton escape.

I meant more in the sense of Roose putting Littlefinger in his place. A villain versus villain moment if you like. It laid the potential for Roose as a formidable villain in the North (and he's a character we are already inclined to hate, for murdering the "hero" in Season 3) without having it be over the top.

That's not what I got from the scene, I think Roose came off quite silly opening other people's mail in so blatant a manner.  And it really emphasized how little trust there is between them, thus how absurd the basis for the following storyline is.

Though I certainly agree that Roose has the making of a much more formidable villain than Ramsay, nobody in that storyline came off looking impressive.

I think Iwan Rheon has been a bit underrated, when there has been the odd scene that's really focused on Ramsey's motivations rather than just using him to push other characters plots he has shown he can show a good deal of emotional subtley. The issue is though IMHO that theres actually been very little of that, just a handful of conservations with Roose.

I suspect that Ramsey is going to bechasing Sansa and Theon next season and either get killed or at least separate from Roose who will come to the fore with a more political story.

:agree:

This sounds quite likely.

Well, generally speaking, I liked the "Bolton's dinner table" in episode 5. And the scene before that. It was quite tight - and him sparing Reek's fingers was really a powerful scene. For Ramsay. And for Theon.

What do you guys think?

Indeed, I thought that was the best Ramsey scene so far in the show and I do like the way he's shown as a psychopath having to conceal his real nature but having some of it leak out. Roose afterall got his current position by being able to hoodwink the Starks, its natural that even though he might not care too much about Ramsey's evil doing he does care that being too open about it would be politically damaging.

Again though I don't really think Ramsey was pushed THAT hard as a character last season so much as he simply needed to be involved with Theon and Sansa to provide drama for their stories. You look at the Stannis story and whilst Ramsey clearly has a big impact we never really have it pushed as "Stannis vs Ramsey", rather its Stannis up against his own decisions and ill fate, he never even mentions Ramsey.

Archived