Books you've read more than 5 times

Fragile Bird

After 34 times you should be able to write the book out yourself.

Personally I have re-read a couple of book series more than once as an adult -

Lord of the Rings, The Second Apocalypse

As a child I used to read the same things as it was all I had, R. L. Stine Goosebumps Franklin Dixon and the Hardy Boys for the win!

I don't think that I mentioned which books I have re-read more than five times.

My current ones are ASOIAF and the Harry Potter books.

Many more from my past.

A lot of Isaac Asimov, especially the Foundation books.

A lot of Andre Norton.

Many, many, beloved mysteries. Along with SF and Fantasy, I loved mysteries and could read them over and over, even though I knew who the killer was. It probably helps that 40 or 50 years ago people still wrote pocketbook sized novels, not bible sized books. I have several times gotten rid of Agathe Christies and Ngaoi Marshes only to buy them again.

Serious books, like Jane Austen novels, which I can pick up every couple of years and enjoy all over again, usually after I've just watched a BBC rendition of a book or one of the movies. Not-so-serious romances - I was introduced to Georgette Heyer when I was a young teen and read them so many times I wore out some of the covers. I loved historical fiction, and the Heyer novels were an unusual combination of historical, romantic, intelligent, funny and detailed, a girl could just get lost in them. When I was a serious corporate lawyer I said to myself, time to donate them, but once again I had to search them out and re-purchase many of them. If you read her Wikipedia page you'll see how she fought with the tax man in Britain and had to churn out what eventually became soul destroying for her, when she wanted to write much more serious novels. I assume her mystery novels, all of which I read repeatedly as well, fell more in that soul-destroying character.

A few books, for the the most re-reads:

AGOT - 34 times.

ACOK - 32 times.

ASOS - 29 times.

AFFC - 11 times

ADWD - 7 times

I'm impressed that you can actually keep an exact tally that big.  I would of lost count long ago. 

I know the first three books really well. Almost line by line. The last two books not as well, but my favorite chapters from those books almost as well. Especially the Brienne chapter by Crackclaw point :)

Other than that read LOTR 7 times, and The Hobbit 9. It was my first ASOIAF superlove type series as a child.

The book I've read most times has to be Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey.

I got it for my 11th birthday and didn't read it once until I was 15 because I really disliked the cover.

There's the best example why the saying about judging a book by its cover exists in the first place.

After reading it for the first time, it became my go to book whenever I had nothing to read.

I'd read it whole, or just bits and pieces, it didn't matter one bit, read it multiple times both in Serbian and English.

Like others here, the only books I've read more than twice are ones in long running series.

I read the first 5-6 Wheel of Time books multiple times, as I would re-read the series or the previous few books on each new release. I think I stopped this practice around book 7. I did do a complete re-read of the entire series prior to book 12 being released, as I knew the remaining books were set to come out fairly quickly.

I've also read Game of Thrones probably four times, the rest only twice (Dance only once).

I've read the Hobbit and LotR on my own twice each, three times I guess as I read the Hobbit aloud to my boys and am now halfway through Fellowship. Bedtime reading FTW!

I can't see myself reading any one book five times on its own merits. Too many unread books on my bookshelf.

Hmm...

LOTR (multiple times, lost count. My first epic fantasy series at a time when there wasn't much to choose from.)

Magician (Just the first four multiple times. It was high school and my tastes weren't all that sophisticated. And I still like them.)

Chronicles of Prydain (I started these when I was maybe in 2nd or 3rd grade. I was too young to really understand the main characters choices and I'd re-read the series about once a year, and lo, I finally understood one year when I was finally somewhat more mature. I think I was 35 at the time. :)

Amber series (Original series is 5 relatively short books, and I revisit it every few years. Love me some Corwin.)

HP (No reason, just pure escapism. I love the universe, love the plot (holes and all), and absolutely love the names.)

Ender's Game (Nice short read. One of the first "twist" endings I'd been exposed to.)

MYTH Series (Just the first few were worthy of a re-read. Humor was good, and I didn't have a lot of reading material back then.)

The Dark is Rising (I probably re-read this every 6-7 years or so. Something about the atmosphere of these just gives me chills.)

Silmarillion (Probably needed at least 3 re-reads to start getting names and dates straight.)

Kingkiller chonricles (It was fun looking for clues/hints about what is really going on. Then I found the forums and learned how much i'd actually missed.)

Tobias Wolff's "Old School", a must for any aspiring writer.

*I read it the first time I went abroad by myself.

*I read it when I was struggling with my first major novel.

*I read it with my first serious girlfriend.

*I read my last year of college.

*I read it close to dusk on a road trip to Chicago.

*I read it on a bus on the first day of my newest job. 

Wouldn't surprise me if I'm reading it on my deathbed. 

I have a stable of 'comfort books'. I don't necessarily read them cover to cover, but when I am in the mood for something familiar or have nothing new to read, I come to these books. I can dive in and skip around to what I am most interested in and can kind of turn off my brain when reading them.

First and foremost is Terry Pratchett. There are some that get read more than others and some I don't like as much, but they've all been read at least twice. And yes, actually, some of my favorite young adult books are on the list. Eddings and the Prydain Chronicles. Don't judge me.

Martin's books are on the list, of course. Again, I rarely read these cover to cover anymore, but I do single out chapters or maybe follow a few PoVs in isolation. I know the books well enough that I can jump in and out and still pick up on subtleties I missed before.

Lions of Al-Rassan is a go-to of mine, as are other Kay books.

Of all the books I listed, only a few of them are physical books anymore. A few are because the physical book holds a speciial memory for me other than the story itself, a few are because it's easier to leaf through to where I want on a physical book (song of ice and fire). My reading collection never got displayed prominantly, so I don't miss that aspect and I greatly enjoy flipping through the covers on Calibre when I organize them. I began replacing my old books with ebooks if I knew I would read them again. This way I don't really feel like I am throwing money away, I get to cull my physical library (which is substantial, I'm sure you all relate) and now I have them at my fingertips whenever I want them. Sure, I miss maps and covers sometimes, but ultimately the trade-off is good. This wasn't meant to come off as an endoresement for e-books, just to describe my habits and why it works for me.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Absalom, Absalom by William Faulkner

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Neuromancer by William Gibson

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

New York Stories by Paul Auster

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

Macbeth by William Shakespeare

Ubik by Philip K. Dick

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Absalom, Absalom by William Faulkner

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Neuromancer by William Gibson

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

New York Stories by Paul Auster

Hamlet by William Shakespeare

Macbeth by William Shakespeare

Ubik by Philip K. Dick

Nice going. I couldn't finish Moby Dick the first time, let alone more than 5 times. 

Lol, well that explains it I guess. How about Ulysses? Ever tackled the titan of literature?

I've read Ulysses three times and been blown away in different ways each time.  i have, however, had my ass kicked twice by Finnegan's Wake to the point it stirs up the same feelings in me fire did in the Hound...;)

Archived