Cricket 29: The Kings of Method Sledging

Xray the Enforcer

Cricket in general has changed since the era of the all-rounder, and specifically, in South Africa. My opinion is that modern cricketers have so much pressure on them due to the multiple formats and the amount of cricket played, that they can't afford to do more than one thing. In SA, during isolation, there was not as much cricket played, it was an amateur sport for a long time, and thus the all-rounder flourished. That continued into the 90's, and has recently fallen away.

I don't think the same seems to be true in other countries, England don't have any shortage of domestic cricket being played but there seems to be lots of all-rounders (albeit mostly of the variety where they're significantly better at one thing than the other) around at the moment. Just looking at the last handful of matches they've had Ben Stokes, Moeen Ali, Samit Patel, Adil Rashid and Chris Woakes all in the team with the result that their number 10 is someone with a huge Test century to their name. I wonder if there's something different about South African cricket, or if it's just a coincidence?

True all-rounders are exceedingly rare. I think Australia has only really had Miller and Gilchrist. Guys who can get in on one element but aren't terrible at the other come and go with all teams. I don't think they're numbers have fallen off. 

Great counterattack from Stokes and Bairstow to put England in a pretty strong position after it was looking a little shaky losing the wickets around lunch. When Stokes clicks into gear he's great to watch, he seems to save his best innings for tough positions as well.

So it looks like it's going to peter out to a draw at Newlands. A bit of a shame after all the excitement yesterday we won't get a better finish.

It might have been different if England had held on to their catches, honestly though batting conditions look so good that even if they'd lost de Villiers and Amla earlier so long as the South African batsmen didn't panic they probably would have been ok. AB de Villiers actually looked uncharacteristically ropey but he still managed to make 88.

So it looks like it's going to peter out to a draw at Newlands. A bit of a shame after all the excitement yesterday we won't get a better finish.

It might have been different if England had held on to their catches, honestly though batting conditions look so good that even if they'd lost de Villiers and Amla earlier so long as the South African batsmen didn't panic they probably would have been ok. AB de Villiers actually looked uncharacteristically ropey but he still managed to make 88.

You may be right that a draw is the most likely outcome but iIf they could get Amla and du Plessis quickly tomorrow there might still be a chance of forcing a result since the rest of the SA batting order isn't too impressive and England do still have a big lead.

You may be right that a draw is the most likely outcome but iIf they could get Amla and du Plessis quickly tomorrow there might still be a chance of forcing a result since the rest of the SA batting order isn't too impressive and England do still have a big lead.

It's possible I suppose but with four wickets falling in two days, two of them being run outs (Stokes should have been out to the catch before he was run out to be fair), and the pitch not significantly deteriorating it's hard to see England picking up 17 wickets. The wheels came off a bit for the South African bowlers on day 2 but England haven't actually bowled that badly, it's just if the batsmen don't do anything rash they don't look like getting out.

In a fairly unsurprising turn of events England managed to make hard work of what should have been a fairly simple draw. More surprisingly Amla has resigned as South African captain. It's probably the right decision, he doesn't look comfortable and it looked like it was having an impact on his batting before this test, but it's a bit surprising he's made the call mid series, especially off the back of good test personally.

In a fairly unsurprising turn of events England managed to make hard work of what should have been a fairly simple draw. More surprisingly Amla has resigned as South African captain. It's probably the right decision, he doesn't look comfortable and it looked like it was having an impact on his batting before this test, but it's a bit surprising he's made the call mid series, especially off the back of good test personally.

I agree the timing seems a little bit odd but maybe he wanted to go out on a high?

When we were discussing the Test seemingly like it was inevitably heading for a draw, I don't think either of us considered the possibility that it might be England who could be on the losing side, although we should have known better than to discount that. This England team does continue to be a work-in-progress, at least the rest of the season should be interesting now that South Africa have got some of their confidence back.

Archived