Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

But where did the Boltons get the money from? Stannis has the bloody Iron Bank backing him, I'm fairly sure the Boltons wouldn't be able to match him in that department.

Maybe the reason we saw no Frey Pies is that the Boltons pillaged and looted White Harbour off-screen... :dunno:

I always wonder what the hell Roose was doing during the 'battle' of Winterfell. What happened to his "as long as we stay behind these walls they can't touch us" and "a smart commander does not abandon a defensive advantage" plan? Where did the Boltons get so many men and horses if they weren't planning an all out attack like that? They said they had enough food for a siege situation but their food supplies would vanish quickly to keep those thousands of men and horses fed.

As a response to your post, not as a defence of the plot: actually, once Stannis' mercenaries... deserted or ...switched sides more likely it is better to sally forth and kill the enemy. The defence advantage makes sense for a commander of course. At overwhelming advantage, a shock surprise attack (according to show logic, which makes it possible stannis will be surprised by that) will be better. Or even without the surprise advantage, let's say mercenaries switched sides, it makes sense to crush Stannis as fast as possible when still weak and reduce the mouths to feed, and purses to be filled. In the essence of it once you have the overwhelming advantage, it is probably a good idea to kill the opposition off quickly.

The problem is the Bolton Summoning magic. This is not Battle for Middle Earth we're playing here. You can't summon cavalry allies with a single click. Or you can't infiltrate your way out of everything with 20 good men.

I don't need Cersei, who pushed her friend down a well, to seem nice and reasonable, because she's not a nice or reasonable person, she never was. I don't need Littlefinger, who betrayed Cat and destroyed Sansa's life, to seem like he cares, because he killed Ned, he's a psychopath. I don't need Tywin, who ordered the rapes of women all over Westeros, to be a kindly grandpa to Arya, because he is about to kill her mother and brother, he's an evil man.

Why is Littlefinger, who sexually enslaved Jeyne, who was butally raped and beaten, given a pass when Sansa, through absurd plot contrivances, plays Jeyne, and is brutally raped and beaten? Because they want to make it seem like Sansa chose to marry into the family that killed hers, after Littlefinger isolated her through a series of murders, kidnapped her, preyed upon her, and took all her choices away? Jeyne didn't choose to be there, he forced her to be there.

Also that Cersei is angry, or any woman is angry. Is that scary? Maybe it should be. Why erase that from the story.

You see this crap for what it is. I agree with this completely.  :agree:

Maybe the reason we saw no Frey Pies is that the Boltons pillaged and looted White Harbour off-screen... :dunno:

No, White Harbor will be introduced this year, bolton has gone to the Dreadfort than Winterfell. I do not think Roose ventures out from behind those walls much. Ramsay does. He is Rooses's effective henchmen, his "junkyard dog" and he is expendable to him, especially now with Walda pregnant. I wonder if Roose hopes someone will kill his bastard off so he does not have to be a "kinslayer". This is mentioned in the books that no one is accursed more than a "kinslayer" and that is why Ramsay still lives. Roose knows his bastard is evil and bad news, but like Tywin used the Mountain, so does Roose uses Ramsay.

A compelling theory I saw was that the Boltons bribed Stannis' sellswords to go turncloak. This would help explain the twenty good men phenomenon (because half the army was in on it) and where all those horsemen came from at the end.

So. Bolton's had half of Stannis's army and advantage of surprise attack (because the best commander in Westeros just happened to forgot to put guards) and instead of total annihilation of Stannis they just burn his stacks. Stacks that they could use in the winter. Well if that is true, that makes the plot even stupider. 

No, White Harbor will be introduced this year, bolton has gone to the Dreadfort than Winterfell. I do not think Roose ventures out from behind those walls much. Ramsay does. He is Rooses's effective henchmen, his "junkyard dog" and he is expendable to him, especially now with Walda pregnant. I wonder if Roose hopes someone will kill his bastard off so he does not have to be a "kinslayer". This is mentioned in the books that no one is accursed more than a "kinslayer" and that is why Ramsay still lives. Roose knows his bastard is evil and bad news, but like Tywin used the Mountain, so does Roose uses Ramsay.

I highly doubt we're going to get a Manderly. Why bother? We get Umber and Karstarks, White Harbour doesn't exist in the show, trust me.

Regarding Ramsay and Roose I predict we are going to get something insanely anticlimactic involving armies from the Vale early in the next season.

BTW. I think Roose's problem is more about nobody taking a child heir seriously if he dies. The kingslaying part... come on, this is the guy who had murdered his liege at a wedding, treason to the king is still something the old gods frown upon, the only crime more evil than breaking the guest right according to Worlds of Ice and Fire. Apart from that Westerosi consider someone condemned and sentenced for a crime not kinslaying. He could trial him for any atrocity he likes, letting someone behead him and be done with it. Trial by combat also traditionally doesn't count as kinslaying.

He would loose the Hornwood lands if he offs Ramsay though, keep that in mind.

So. Bolton's had half of Stannis's army and advantage of surprise attack (because the best commander in Westeros just happened to forgot to put guards) and instead of total annihilation of Stannis they just burn his stacks. Stacks that they could use in the winter. Well if that is true, that makes the plot even stupider. 

I do not think D&D really care about strategic logic. The Battles that were fought on the show or happened since the show started were done well including the Red Wedding and the taking of Moat Cailin, The Battle of Castle Black because GRRM wrote them, he has a creative brain and a basic sense of military logic which was translated very, very well. Yara at the dreadfort with 50 best killers in the Iron Island vs Shirtless Ramsay, Ramsay and 20 good men, Stannis's defeat so easily were creations of D&D, so their's was lazy and illogical. The difference is astonishing when you look at it.

He would loose the Hornwood lands if he offs Ramsay though, keep that in mind.

They didn't have Rams raping/marrying/starving Lady Hornwood in the show, though. No Hornwood lady, no Hornwood lands. 

I don't know what they're doing with the North. I just can't get my mind around it.

Oh well, here's something to make us feel better. 

But that's the thing with the endless plot holes and contrivances: any explanation people (or the show itself, in future seasons) come up with to 'explain' something, inevitably creates more plot holes and contrivances. Butterflies turning into gigantic dragons and all that.

Yeah, shaving was a major part of his Larrification. The beard had a meaning. He wanted to spite Cersei because she didn't like it. Because it made him look less like her. And it was an important part of his character development that he wanted to distance himself from her. With his fucking glorious golden beard!

But that's the thing with the endless plot holes and contrivances: any explanation people (or the show itself, in future seasons) come up with to 'explain' something, inevitably creates more plot holes and contrivances. Butterflies turning into gigantic dragons and all that.

Oh, but you can't criticize it because you aren't a producer yourself! You should outline episode by episode how you'd do Season 5 episode by episode ... sigh. 

We're not producers. We're consumers. We are like customers at a restaurant. That's what HBO needs to learn, and quick: Your restaurant starts out great, but the quality begins to slide, and eventually the fare being served is really bad. All those four-star reviews you got years ago aren't going to mean squat if those customers start dining elsewhere.

Hey, I hear Bryan Fuller is opening a new joint called "American Gods" next year, over on Starz Street... 

Oh, but you can't criticize it because you aren't a producer yourself! You should outline episode by episode how you'd do Season 5 episode by episode ... sigh. 

We're not producers. We're consumers. We are like customers at a restaurant. That's what HBO needs to learn, and quick: Your restaurant starts out great, but the quality begins to slide, and eventually the fare being served is really bad. All those four-star reviews you got years ago aren't going to mean squat if those customers start dining elsewhere.

Hey, I hear Bryan Fuller is opening a new joint called "American Gods" next year, over on Starz Street... 

If you have something to say, say it on the thread concerned rather than hiding in here.

This argument many apologists use, that if we don't like it we should come up with alternatives, is one of the most stupid ever.
For instance, I like watching football. And if on any given day, a player is shite, am I not allowed to say it unless I run to the pitch to prove how much better I could have done it? Truly ludicrous.

Anything Fuller is involved with will definitely be on my 'must watch' list.

Archived