U.S. Politics - the pre-pre-pre-pre Primary season edition

TerraPrime

Re: Biglose

It would be a lot easier to invest in research and intellectual pursuits if you receive tens of minors of dollars of aid from the United States over a couple decades while not having to worry about your schools being bombed to smithereens and not have to worry about securing a supply of fresh water. You might as well count the number of Rolls Royce cars a person owns as an indication of whether s/he is a successful person or not.

Well, and how often are the schools in Saudi Arabia under fire? I would out of my gut argue not as often as schools in Israel.

Your idea with rolls royce cars goes in the right direction but is much too specific. A guy with 3 rolce royce has not much on a someone with 2 private jets.

But yes, if somebody owns several rolls royce you may assume that this person is quite well off.

@NestorMakhnosLovechild

The whole affaire is more or less a fishing expedition to find the one problematic email or to feed the believe that this email exists. But what should it read?

Regard: My evil plans!!!!!!

I know it's from the Daily Mail but hey it's  as funny as fuck (and also apparently entirely accurate).

http://www.bostonnewstime.com/regional/116229-hillary-clinton-s-email-firm-platte-river-networks-was-run-from-a-loft-in-denver.html

For those of a less sensitive bent bathroom closet means right next to the shitter. It goes on

So all those people worrying that the Russians and Chinese were happily hacking into Hillary's email can put their minds to rest.

It seems Hillary's is being brought down by her own cheapness. From the story it sounds like she was given a feebee by a FOB, the fact she was funneling top secret Fed Gov data through an unencrypted server next to a toilet wouldn't have bothered her in the least compared to saving a few bucks. Jeez they couldn't even wipe the server properly..

Slate has what I think is a pretty clear and pretty fair summary of the Clinton email situation as it stands right now.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/08/20/hillary_clinton_email_scandal_explained.html

Edit: Kind of embarrassing for Vox that they didn't do something similar earlier.

From the Slate link:

There have been several unconfirmed and apparently erroneous bathroom-related reports of where the server has been kept since Clinton left office. But according to Platte River, the Denver-based IT firm hired by Clinton, the server was moved to a data center in New Jersey in the summer of 2013, where it remained until Hillary agreed to turn it over to the FBI last week.

Oh? Erroneous you say? Hrm... Maybe do a little more digging...

And when Platte River became the latest name to emerge in the Clinton e-mail controversy, the company maintained its silence — until last week, when it hired a crisis-communications expert to defend against political innuendo, death threats and allegations that it stored her e-mail in the bathroom of a downtown Denver loft.

"There never was, at any time, data belonging to the Clintons stored in Denver. Ever," said Dovetail Solutions CEO Andy Boian, who added that Clinton's server was always in a New Jersey data center. "We do not store data in any bathrooms."

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_28670015/platte-river-networks-clinton-e-mail-server-was

So Hayyoth posted another false article from an unreliable source and lapped it up like a dog eating cat shit because it was something negative about Hillary Clinton? Inconceivable!

Re: Biglose

It would be a lot easier to invest in research and intellectual pursuits if you receive tens of minors of dollars of aid from the United States over a couple decades while not having to worry about your schools being bombed to smithereens and not have to worry about securing a supply of fresh water. You might as well count the number of Rolls Royce cars a person owns as an indication of whether s/he is a successful person or not.

How ever much money the US sent to Israel for military aid, it sent many times more to Saudi Arabia for it's oil.

Because Shumlin isn't remotely important or interesting to the national Democratic scene. He barely managed to win his last re-election, in Vermont of all places, and has already announced that he'll retire after this term rather than run again (Vermont being one of I believe only two states where Governors' terms are 2 years instead of 4 years). And he's one of just literally hundreds of Democratic officials who have endorsed Clinton.

What would make you think he's running or a possibility for Clinton's VP?

Shumlin did quite a lot of the stuff in Vermont more left leaning voters dream about.

Supporting and putting forward single payer health care, labeling of genetic modified food, legalization of cannabis. Not to mention the ban on fracking. 

So he is covering some of the bases on the left HRC is not particularly strong. 

Shumlin did quite a lot of the stuff in Vermont more left leaning voters dream about.

Supporting and putting forward single payer health care, labeling of genetic modified food, legalization of cannabis. Not to mention the ban on fracking. 

So he is covering some of the bases on the left HRC is not particularly strong. 

He's also an old white guy from the Northeast. If Clinton wanted that, she'd name Sanders her running mate. Or any of the many other old white Northeastern Democrats more well-known than Shumlin, like Kerry for instance.

But Clinton isn't concerned about getting the white Northeastern vote, because if that's in trouble her campaign is doomed anyway. She also isn't concerned about those particular left positions, because they aren't places Republicans can attack her on in a way that Democrats would like.

Clinton's running mate is going to be someone either appealing to hispanics or to Midwestern working class folks; ideally both.

On non-email-related news, the New Jersey Supreme Court strikes a blow for contextual thinking:

The state Supreme Court took the mother’s side in a unanimous decision issued Thursday. Leaving a young child unattended in a car is legal in some cases if the parent or caretaker takes precautionary measures, the court indicated.

He's also an old white guy from the Northeast. If Clinton wanted that, she'd name Sanders her running mate. Or any of the many other old white Northeastern Democrats more well-known than Shumlin, like Kerry for instance.

But Clinton isn't concerned about getting the white Northeastern vote, because if that's in trouble her campaign is doomed anyway. She also isn't concerned about those particular left positions, because they aren't places Republicans can attack her on in a way that Democrats would like.

Clinton's running mate is going to be someone either appealing to hispanics or to Midwestern working class folks; ideally both.

I tend to agree to some degree.

But she is vulnerable on the left in the primary. And I think that E-Mail server story is going to haunt her for quite a while. If "Crazy Uncle Joe" Biden would jump into the race, the old White Northeastern man would put her in some trouble. And as far as I understand American politics, HRC and the Democratic party is not really a big love story. So she might pick some more left leaning running mate for the rank and file base. Somebody who is less Washington (yes, it sounds a bit like the reasoning McCain picked that ill educated woman from Alaska back in '08).

And the way the American Horror Story: Clown Show (aka Republican Primaries) is going, I somehow doubt that HRC will really need to pander the hispanic vote that much. It looks like the Donald is forcing the GOP hopefuls to more extreme positions. Check Scott Walker. "My position on immigration is actually pretty close to Trumps."

Here's an interview with Missouri Senator Clare McCaskill. It's interesting in a number of ways, but when she talks about former MA Senator Scott Brown it becomes fantastic:

I'm about to ask her what she thinks of Scott Walker, but McCaskill has a question of her own. "What's Scott Brown up to these days?" I tell her that the last I heard he was appearing as a guest on a celebrity cruise and pushing diet pills.

"No! Who goes on a celebrity cruise ship to see Scott Brown?" she scoffs. "Do people even know who he is? Wow. He will do anything to show his body. It was so surreal, all of the women in the Senate used to talk about how he would figure out some way, every time he had a conversation, to work in something about his body. Like, 'I was on the treadmill in the gym this morning and I saw you on MSNBC,' or 'You know, I was running at lunch today and' — and he did it to all of us! We all compared notes."

Holy shit, that's some good stuff TN.  Do you have a link to the story?

Does Brown not have his big-shot lobbyist job with Nixon Peabody anymore?

Damn, I meant to do that. I edited the original post to include this.

It's great, isn't it? And it gets better. Brown was once the Republican Great White Hope, the Massachusetts Miracle, and now he's hawking diet pills.

I tend to agree to some degree.

But she is vulnerable on the left in the primary. And I think that E-Mail server story is going to haunt her for quite a while. If "Crazy Uncle Joe" Biden would jump into the race, the old White Northeastern man would put her in some trouble. And as far as I understand American politics, HRC and the Democratic party is not really a big love story. So she might pick some more left leaning running mate for the rank and file base. Somebody who is less Washington (yes, it sounds a bit like the reasoning McCain picked that ill educated woman from Alaska back in '08).

And the way the American Horror Story: Clown Show (aka Republican Primaries) is going, I somehow doubt that HRC will really need to pander the hispanic vote that much. It looks like the Donald is forcing the GOP hopefuls to more extreme positions. Check Scott Walker. "My position on immigration is actually pretty close to Trumps."

I can't think of a time when a candidate picked their running mate before they had locked up the nomination though; doing it beforehand is seen as too presumptuous (and also there's a chance the running mate might be someone currently competing against them for the nomination; in this case, O'Malley).

Also, these years Clinton is extremely popular with Democrats. Its just the far left that doesn't like her; she's still popular even among a lot of Sanders' supporters, but they like him more. Maybe Sanders will overtake her, since, just like on the Republican side, people who vote in the primaries are generally more activist and less moderate; although I tend to think she'll still win pretty comfortably barring some major revelation.

As to the general election, it doesn't hurt to pound the Republican nominee on immigration as much as possible. It just depends on what the data says about which votes are more up for grabs: the 35ish% of Hispanics that have usually voted Republican in the past or the 5ish% of white voters (mostly working class) that have left the party in the Obama era. That'll determine who her running mate is.

You really think that someone in his campaign would tell Jeb that maybe it's not a good idea to say such stupid, stupid things.  But apparently everyone in his campaign is just this stupid.

“If you create encryption, it makes it harder for the American government to do its job—while protecting civil liberties—to make sure that evildoers aren’t in our midst,” Bush said in South Carolina at an event sponsored by Americans for Peace, Prosperity, and Security, according to The Intercept.

Bush claimed that there was “no evidence” that the bulk collection by the National Security Agency violated civil liberties, despite the fact that the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board and others have done just that.

He concluded by saying that there needs to be a “a new arrangement with Silicon Valley in this regard” without providing any salient details.

But wait, there's a hilarious bit more

So far, Bush has not proved himself to be particularly technologically adept during the presidential campaign. Earlier this year in an attempt to be more transparent, the brother of President George W. Bush published six Outlook files full of all of his unredacted correspondence. In the process, Jeb Bush created a trove of full names connected with personal e-mail addresses, home addresses, phone numbers, and even social security numbers.

How was that not front page news?  Hillary Clinton's legal e-mail server is plastered over everything but Jeb Bush basically releasing a bunch of peoples' personal information is just the tidbit at the bottom of an article?

From the Slate link:

Oh? Erroneous you say? Hrm... Maybe do a little more digging...

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_28670015/platte-river-networks-clinton-e-mail-server-was

So Hayyoth posted another false article from an unreliable source and lapped it up like a dog eating cat shit because it was something negative about Hillary Clinton? Inconceivable!

OMG dude! Hold on a pickin sec, so like you're sayin the dude who was hired to stop everyone thinking Hilary's ISP are a laughung stock for keeping her server next to the shitter is tots denying it was kept next to the shitter? 

Part of the link you didn't quote

Aug. 11, 2015: FBI asks for Clinton's e-mail server

Aug. 12, 2015: Delivers Clinton's server to the FBI from New Jersey

Here's what Hillary said

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/12/us/politics/hillary-clinton-directs-aides-to-give-email-server-and-thumb-drive-to-the-justice-department.html?_r=0

Hillary Clinton Directs Aides to Give Email Server and Thumb Drive to the Justice Department

So who's the liar in this scenario coz they can't both be right. Did Hillary direct her aides to give it the FBI or did the FBI demand it from Platte River? I mean in your opinion do you think Hillary or the company are liars? Take your time.

OMG dude! Hold on a pickin sec, so like you're sayin the dude who was hired to stop everyone thinking Hilary's ISP are a laughung stock for keeping her server next to the shitter is tots denying it was kept next to the shitter? 

Here's what Hillary said

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/12/us/politics/hillary-clinton-directs-aides-to-give-email-server-and-thumb-drive-to-the-justice-department.html?_r=0

So who's the liar in this scenario coz they can't both be right. Did Hillary direct her aides to give it the FBI or did the FBI demand it from Platte River? I mean in your opinion do you think Hillary or the company are liars? Take your time.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about this "server next to the shitter" angle you were cackling about. I don't give a fuck about who turned over what to the FBI on whose orders. Go armchar quarterback the case against Hillary Clinton, Despoiler of Email Servers on your own time. 

Truth could be somewhere in the middle.

The FBI told HRC they really want to see her mail server, but had no court order yet. (But possibly hinted they would get one if she does not hand it over voluntarily).

Clinton gave in to the demand, and told her aides to hand over the server, before a subpoena puts her into even bigger calamities.

So she gave the FBI the server voluntarilish.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about this "server next to the shitter" angle you were cackling about. I don't give a fuck about who turned over what to the FBI on whose orders. Go armchar quarterback the case against Hillary Clinton, Despoiler of Email Servers on your own time. 

And ya know, IT guys shit too. Not sure what this fascination with servers next to shitters is. I'd hazard a guess that most floors that house servers have fucking bathrooms on them. It's kind of an imperative.

Here's what Hillary said

What? Of course they can both be right. Clinton probably got the request from the FBI and directed the aides to comply, so they contacted the company and made the request, unless you think Clinton or her people personally went to a datacenter and started yanking cables. Or "aides" could be inclusive of the MSP she hired, but it's probably the first one.

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't care one bit about this email crap. It's a lot like that blowjob scandal. Everyone with their strong opinions one way or the other and me... I just can't muster up any enthusiasm.

I'm not bragging. This doesn't make me better than anyone who does. If anything it's clearly a sign of the apathy that's slowly poisoning my soul.

Everyone knows that the fumes of human excrement are capable of permeating through the hardware of servers and corrupting the data contained in them, guys. It's a srs security risk. Coz, reasons.  :lol:

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't care one bit about this email crap. It's a lot like that blowjob scandal. Everyone with their strong opinions one way or the other and me... I just can't muster up any enthusiasm.

I'm not bragging. This doesn't make me better than anyone who does. If anything it's clearly a sign of the apathy that's slowly poisoning my soul.

I care about it to the extent that I have to read it constantly on a thread I frequent. that's about it

Archived