Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, 666

JonCon's Red Beard

I've met people irl who find refuge in reading when they freak out. And not just books either, this one girl I'm thinking of would literally shut herself from the outside world and read whatever she had at hand, the randomest shit sometimes, as a way to take her mind off things. She's smart as hell but she'd read the worst tabloid type of thing you can possibly imagine cover to cover if she ran out of books. No kidding.
So I find Sam's little time out in CB entirely believable. :) he's not just a huge bookworm, it's his way of coping imo.

(Myself, I'm more of a Bobby B kind of guy, drowning myself in beer when I don't wanna face the outside world and honestly, reading random junk would probably be a better way, but ah well. At least we're good party pals, the Good King and I...)

yeah, I can see it as a coping mechanism, but GRRM describes it with such... pathos (I don't know a better word for it)...it feels a bit forced, like he is trying too hard, imo.

• 1 month later...

Dat new forum tho...

Ok, so in there are two GC commanders named Mudd and Chains.  Something about their names remind me of Blood and Cheese, the two men who murdered Jaehaerys Targaryen (son of Aegon II).  My money's on them murdering Myrcella via JonCon's orders.  (Assuming my theory that Myrcella's betrothal/marriage to Aegon gets her "Jaehaera'd" by JonCon is correct anyway.)

Thoughts?

The 7th random thread is gone D:

It wasn't that much blessed. Just like how Rhaegar and his companions to the Riverlands failed (they were seven!)

The Seven don't exist.

THEY DON'T EXIST.

Oh, yes--there is a Seven. But the seventh is the Stranger. And thus--lost.:(

Confession:
When I read ADwD for the first time, I couldn't get this out of my head when reading about the Griffs.

Nowadays, I only picture Jon Connington looking like this actor.  I've only seen him in the video for "Song to say goodbye" by Placebo, but the video (which I first saw years ago) is just something that really sticks with you, so I remember the actor's face well.

I hate it when people quote "you know nothing, Jon Snow", or alude to the quote as if they believe he really is a dumb guy who knows nothing. Yritte says that a lot, so I get why people tend to remember it, but I think the quote was all about Jon expanding his world view and learning to think critically, not about him being dense.

The only way to make the alusion to Socrates more obvious would be if Jon was named Socrates. 

I hate it when people quote "you know nothing, Jon Snow", or alude to the quote as if they believe he really is a dumb guy who knows nothing. Yritte says that a lot, so I get why people tend to remember it, but I think the quote was all about Jon expanding his world view and learning to think critically, not about him being dense.

The only way to make the alusion to Socrates more obvious would be if Jon was named Socrates. 

...Is "you know nothing" really some sort of allusion to Socrates?

I think the reason for that phrase to exist is for Jon to say it after he finds out who his real parents are. "Ygritte was right, I knew nothing...". :lol:

He also used it himself when he met Stannis's and Selyse's men. He saw them like Ygritte saw him (although he wasn't that much dense): they know nothing but they don't want to learn. He did learn.

...Is "you know nothing" really some sort of allusion to Socrates?

I don't know if GRRM was thinking of Socrates when he wrote that, but I think it's very much in line with his teachings (acknowledging your ignorance is the first step to wisdom). But since "I only know that I know nothing" is a well know quote, I thought it would be easier to make the connection between that and Ygritte's line and realise the latter's deeper meaning. 

Kingsguard is the worst job ever!

It's like night watch with better life (i don't know if i can called it "better")

What their real job description anyway?

Protect your king until you die

Hold no land

Father no children (?)

Take celibacy (I don't know what this is mean)

At least in night watch's vow they only say : "take no wife" sooo this is mean you can slept with any woman you want as long as you don't married with one you still keep your oath, right??? 

Archived