Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, 666

JonCon's Red Beard

^^^^ Oh I absolutely think Wun Wun is there to be warged.  We get the preschool version of it with Bran warging the giant Hodor, but once Jon finds his super warg powers.........it'll be the same thing except a real giant.....And furtherly, you know Sansa's snowcastle where a giant comes and rips the gate off Winterfell then ends with his head on a spike?  Well that is exactly how I think Winterfell will get taken back from Ramsay, with warged Wun Wun tearing the gate off. :)

Wow!  I LOVE this theory!  You get the theory of the year award!  Its just from me at the moment, but still.  You deserve it!

Okay, I feel kind of bad for Preston Jacobs. He's  in the middle of doing like an eight part series called The Minds of Wolves and Robins which is essentially about how magic in asoiaf is just the same telekinesis GRRM uses in the rest of his works. He only got out like two of the segments before GRRM came out and openly admitted that there is no system to the magic in asoiaf after not commenting on it for like nineteen years.

I mean that's just bad timing.

Okay, I feel kind of bad for Preston Jacobs. He's  in the middle of doing like an eight part series called The Minds of Wolves and Robins which is essentially about how magic in asoiaf is just the same telekinesis GRRM uses in the rest of his works. He only got out like two of the segments before GRRM came out and openly admitted that there is no system to the magic in asoiaf after not commenting on it for like nineteen years.

True but not having read his other books I have found the videos very informative.

I guess Martin is a student of Didactylos: 'things just happen, what the hell'.

Wasn't there a theory that Haldon is Leyton Hightower and Lemore is Malora the Mad Maid or was I stoned when I read that?

It was a bit crackpot, based on similar letter patterns in the names. I couldn't buy Leyton being Haldon, but I totally bought Malora being Lemore.

To be fair Tyrion is too busy wondering about Lemore's boobs. 

I always wondered why Haldon was never brought up in discussions.  Its always Septa/Lady Lemore. Perhaps we should start one?

I have the feeling that if I start that thread, the board will crash and we will forget.

Well, one main assumption in JP's video series was that there is no/little magic. Only telepathy and telekenisis exist. No prophecy, no future telling ability, no magic in spells or rituals. For example, he theorizes that BR simply sees things as they happen, and in a world were news travels so slowly, it APPEARS that BR is forecasting the future. He also theorizes that Melisandre used telekenisis, not magic, to put wind in the sails after Alester Florent's execution.

^^^^ Oh I absolutely think Wun Wun is there to be warged.  We get the preschool version of it with Bran warging the giant Hodor, but once Jon finds his super warg powers.........it'll be the same thing except a real giant.....And furtherly, you know Sansa's snowcastle where a giant comes and rips the gate off Winterfell then ends with his head on a spike?  Well that is exactly how I think Winterfell will get taken back from Ramsay, with warged Wun Wun tearing the gate off. :)

I'm on a phone atm, so it's hard to get the quotes, but if you look at the language in Wun Wun's attack and SR's "attack" on Snow-Winterfell, GRRM uses similar language. Jon's first description of the attack even reminds him of a child (Arya) swinging a doll.

I'm on a phone atm, so it's hard to get the quotes, but if you look at the language in Wun Wun's attack and SR's "attack" on Snow-Winterfell, GRRM uses similar language. Jon's first description of the attack even reminds him of a child (Arya) swinging a doll.

Found where I had posted this elsewhere.

In addition to Wun Wun being utilized as Sweetrobins own Hodor, there are similarities to Sweetrobin during Wun Wuns murder of the Ser Patrek of Kings Mountain, from the imagery of Ser Patrek being a doll to the parallel of Wun Wuns attack to Sweetrobins attack on Winterfell with his doll. 

Here is part of the scene of Wun Wuns attack on Ser Patrek: The screaming had stopped by the time they came to Hardins Tower, but Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun was still roaring. The giant was dangling a bloody corpse by one leg, the same way Arya used to dangle her doll when she was small, swinging it like a morningstar when menaced by vegetables. Arya never tore her dolls to pieces, though. The dead mans sword arm was yards away, the snow beneath it turning red.Let him go, Jon shouted. Wun Wun, let him go.Wun Wun did not hear or did not understand. The giant was bleeding himself, with sword cuts on his belly and his arm. He swung the dead knight against the grey stone of the tower, again and again and again, until the mans head was red and pulpy as a summer melon. The knights cloak flapped in the cold air. Of white wool it had been, bordered in cloth-of-silver and patterned with blue stars. Blood and bone were flying everywhere.  (ADwD, Jon VIII)

There are several connections to Sweetrobin and his doll throughout the series. 

Here are a couple: Her uncles voice was troubled. Lord Robert, he sighed. Six years old, sickly, and prone to weep if you take his dolls away.  (AGoT, Catelyn VI)

This is how Sweetrobin and his doll have parallels to Wun Wuns attack on Ser Patrek. Its not so great. The boy knelt before the gatehouse. Look, here comes a giant to knock it down. He stood his doll in the snow and moved it jerkily. Tromp tromp Im a giant, Im a giant, he chanted. Ho ho ho, open your gates or Ill mash them and smash them.Swinging the doll by the legs, (The giant was dangling a bloody corpse by one leg) he knocked the top off one gatehouse tower and then the other. (He swung the dead knight against the grey stone of the tower, again and again**)  (ASoS, Sansa VII) It was more than Sansa could stand. Robert, stop that. (Wun Wun, let him go.)  Instead he swung the doll again (**and again.) (Wun Wun did not hear or did not understand), and a foot of wall exploded. She grabbed for his hand but she caught the doll instead. There was a loud ripping sound as the thin cloth tore. Suddenly she had the dolls head, Robert had the legs and body, and the rag-and-sawdust stuffing was spilling in the snow.  (the snow beneath it turning red.  Blood and bone were flying everywhere.)  (ASoS, Sansa VII)

I dont want porridge. Robert flung his spoon across the hall. (Arya used to dangle her doll when she was small, swinging it like a morningstar when menaced by vegetables.) It bounced off a hanging tapestry, and left a smear of porridge upon a white silk moon. The lord wants eggs!  (AFFC, Alayne I) This is how Jon previously described Wun Wun, he reminded Jon of Hodor. Hodor twice as big, twice as strong, and half as clever.

(Quotes in parentheses are from the attack on Ser Patrek which I added for comparison purposes.)

Isn't that why the sow is on HBO? No boobies on Vikings or Walking Dead.

Well, I have no problem with nudity on TV, just when there's no narrative point to it (I suppose the point in GoT is mostly to titilate viewers). Of course, there's rarely any male nudity; it's usually just implied (but God forbid they ever simply imply female nudity).

I haven't watched Vikings, though I'm tempted to. I did watch the Walking Dead, but stopped on S5. I just couldn't take the contrived writing anymore, especially the enforced stupidity of the characters. How I got through Season Three's Andrea is beyond me.

Well, I have no problem with nudity on TV, just when there's no narrative point to it (I suppose the point in GoT is mostly to titilate viewers). Of course, there's rarely any male nudity; it's usually just implied (but God forbid they ever simply imply female nudity).

I haven't watched Vikings, though I'm tempted to. I did watch the Walking Dead, but stopped on S5. I just couldn't take the contrived writing anymore, especially the enforced stupidity of the characters. How I got through Season Three's Andrea is beyond me.

Vikings is up there with Rome, Homicide and Homefront. Walking Dead is fun for folks who like Zombies and/or post apocalypse stories.

Vikings is up there with Rome, Homicide and Homefront. Walking Dead is fun for folks who like Zombies and/or post apocalypse stories.

I love both of these. And I enjoyed TWD for a while. Eventually though, its negatives outweighed its positives for me, so I bowed out. Might have to give Vikings a go though.

I love both of these. And I enjoyed TWD for a while. Eventually though, its negatives outweighed its positives for me, so I bowed out. Might have to give Vikings a go though.

TWD has been a roller coaster of quality, imo. Some awful episodes, some great. I've toughed it out through some of the worse parts, and now I think it's pretty good overall, though still not what I'd call a great show.

TWD has been a roller coaster of quality, imo. Some awful episodes, some great. I've toughed it out through some of the worse parts, and now I think it's pretty good overall, though still not what I'd call a great show.

Yeah, the show would give you a couple of mediocre episodes and then hit you with a fantastic one. I think it was when

[spoiler]Bob(?) got bit in the most contrived manner possible[/spoiler]

that I quit watching. Shame, because that season started with a great episode.

Yeah, the show would give you a couple of mediocre episodes and then hit you with a fantastic one. I think it was when

[spoiler]Bob(?) got bit in the most contrived manner possible[/spoiler]

that I quit watching. Shame, because that season started with a great episode.

I just found it repetitive after a while, I started watching it at the urging of a friend (I don't like zombies) It was not as bad as I expected but I think except for a few details every season is more or less the same [spoiler] they find a place, gather some extras, they get overrun by zombies and the main characters narrowly escape [/spoiler]....lather, rinse repeat. There doesn't seem to be any progress or long term plan.

Archived