Worst parents of Westeros - Nominations

Felguy

How is Cersei a bad mother? I mean, terrible person? Yes. Terrible wife? Obviously. Terrible queen? Surely. Terrible sibling?Absolutely. Terrible...well, you get the idea. But two of her three children turned out pretty decent, and I don't think there's any indication that she did anything other than play in to Joffrey's natural predilection for being an awful person himself. At least she looks after her kids, which is more than I can say for Selyse. 

She's ok, so long as they're what she wants them to be. She idolizes Joff, as he's the psycho of her dreams. She's cruel to Tommen when he doesn't live up to her expectations (Tywin's funeral). She keeps him untrained and unaware of what's going on, as that way she gets to rule as queen. It's kind of disgusting, tbh. idk what she's like with Myrcella, but I can't believe she'd be much better.

She's ok, so long as they're what she wants them to be. She idolizes Joff, as he's the psycho of her dreams. She's cruel to Tommen when he doesn't live up to her expectations (Tywin's funeral). She keeps him untrained and unaware of what's going on, as that way she gets to rule as queen. It's kind of disgusting, tbh. idk what she's like with Myrcella, but I can't believe she'd be much better.

I imagine she'd be the type to belittle Myrcella by negatively comparing her daughter to herself. Though that's purely speculation. 

Bob was the king, Cersei couldn't forbid him anything. It's just Bob's excuse for being a lazy deadbeat dad.

She wasn't forbidding him from doing anything. She just said that if he brings a bastard to court the bastard will die, and that if he disciplines his children he will die.

Robert was free to bring any of his bastards to court as long as he didn't mind them being murdered. Robert was free to discipline Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella as long as he himself didn't mind being murdered. It wasn't about telling him he couldn't do something, it was about telling him that if he did she'll make sure that there's consequences. Hard to exactly call Robert a bad parent when his wife forbid him from ever being one.

She wasn't forbidding him from doing anything. She just said that if he brings a bastard to court the bastard will die, and that if he disciplines his children he will die.

Robert was free to bring any of his bastards to court as long as he didn't mind them being murdered. Robert was free to discipline Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella as long as he himself didn't mind being murdered. It wasn't about telling him he couldn't do something, it was about telling him that if he did she'll make sure that there's consequences. Hard to exactly call Robert a bad parent when his wife forbid him from ever being one.

I am sorry, but that is all whitewashing BS. Robert was now afraid of Cersei? Seriously? So, while he was raping her, beating her, he wasn't afraid, but when it comes to children, he now transforms into a "Cersei threatened me" coward? LOL...

Robert was not afraid of Cersei. He was just lousy father. 

It's hard to say so-and-so is the worst parent. Sometimes the choices parents make may not, at the time, by the best for the child. People have been bringing up Tywin, while I agree he wasn't a good person AT. ALL, he did what was necessary. He not only had to worry about his children, but he worried about his extended family and how they were going to make their way in the world. Sybil Spicer is another name being thrown around, and yes it's terrible that she made sure her daughter didn't conceive, but Sybil did it for her family. She believed that Tywin was going to win (he did), and she did what was necessary to keep her family alive. Which she managed. Being a parent isn't easy, we shouldn't be quick to judge these characters based on their actions. You have to think why they're doing it. 

I want to clarify though that I am not excusing any of the characters for their, sometimes heinous, crimes they've committed towards others and usually towards their own blood. 

Craster, not even a competition.

Yes, we see other terrible parents. Tywin with the Tysha gangrape. Randyll Tarly with the whole Sam business. Hoster with what he did to Lysa to a lesser extent.

But they simply do not achieve the pure, unadultered assholery of a guy who rapes his daughters and forces them into servitude, and leaves his son to be turned into ice zombies so that he can go on into his pathetic life.

Robert being neglectful of his bastards (common for men of his station) and beating up his psycopath of a son once is nothing in comparison.

Doran is an underrated one, but if he deserves a mention than his wife mellario should too. She essentially abandoned them. 

also melisandre. Her shadow babies were killers... 

At least Melisandre let her children live their life to the fullest. :P

I've seen a few 'worst father' and 'worst mother' threads and thought for a moment this was going to be an assessment of a pair... Does anyone have any good suggestions?
Craster and his first wife perhaps, if she was in anyway complicit with his subsequent behaviour?
Robert and Cersei in harness? And on those two, does anyone else see a parallel them as parents of Joff with Aegon and Visenya, producing Maegor - A and R both loved other women more, were warriors, etc while V and C were both committed to their sons advancement... And there's the suggestion that V was a kingslayer as well.

I've seen a few 'worst father' and 'worst mother' threads and thought for a moment this was going to be an assessment of a pair... Does anyone have any good suggestions?
Craster and his first wife perhaps, if she was in anyway complicit with his subsequent behaviour?
Robert and Cersei in harness? And on those two, does anyone else see a parallel them as parents of Joff with Aegon and Visenya, producing Maegor - A and R both loved other women more, were warriors, etc while V and C were both committed to their sons advancement... And there's the suggestion that V was a kingslayer as well.

If Robert can marry both lyanna and cersei like aegon, he probably would be better, I guess?

Archived