Does Roose have similar tastes to Ramsey?

JaegrM

Well it's fairly obvious that Roose is no angel, but I just think he's more discreet than Ramsay. Maybe he's not the over the top sadist that Ramsay is though, Roose seems to display more self control than his bastard son, who doesn't seem to be able to help himself and just enjoys torturing for the sake of it. 

Internally I think Roose and Ramsay are pretty much the same. Roose knows anger just as well as Ramsay... It's what he uses leeches for - to draw the "poison" out. What is different is the society they were brought up in, and that's probably why their mask is almost the complete opposite.

it's already been said, but i'll reiterate:

• roose seems to derive enjoyment (or something approaching enjoyment) from the considered, practiced and adroit handling of other people's behaviors. as lady dustin says 'it's all a game to him'.
  • we know that roose knows human skin makes poor boots. we see roose, on multiple occasions, remonstrating against ramsay for his overly public indulgence in his 'amusements'. roose has raped, and more than likely roose has flayed people, but the evidence we have suggests he doesn't engage in these behaviors often, either because he outgrew them, they are bad for his effectiveness as a ruler and/or he doesn't get much satisfaction from controlling someone through force and fear. there's no cerebral release through that kind of boorish, intellectually lazy behavior.
  • roose is beholden to the ways of the old gods. kinslaying is a major no-no, and this is one of, if not the main reason for staying his hand when it comes to slaughtering ramsay. i think he's hoping ramsay is killed off by another, but he won't raise his hand against ramsay in violence himself.

Well, Roose seems to know from experience that human skin makes inferior leather for boots, so there's that :P To me, it seems like Roose's view towards Ramsay's behavior is like Tywin's view towards Tyrion's whoring. Neither are technically against their son's behavior, exactly (especially since they indulge in the same habits, respectively) ...they just expect some discretion, damn it!

This.

What's done to the servants - especially Pia and the other women who had sex with Lannister men - when the northmen take over Harrenhall in ACOK is pretty brutal, and since Roose is in command, it was most likely his orders.

"Tothmure had been sent to the axe for dispatching birds to Casterly Rock and King's Landing the night Harrenhall had fallen, Lucan the armorer for making weapons for the Lannisters, Goodwife Harra for telling Lady Whent's household to serve them, the steward for giving Lord Tywin the keys to the treasure vault. The cook was spared (some said because he'd made the weasel soup), but stocks were hammered together for pretty Pia and the other women who'd shared their favors with Lannister soldiers. Stripped and shaved, they were left in the middle ward beside the bear pit, free for the use of any man who wanted them."

And this. 

In addition, Roose offers Catelyn a strip of Theon's flayed skin in ASOS, just before the RW, bragging about how his bastard son has dealt with the vile turncloak and murderer of her boys, assuming she will love this 'present' as a sign of revenge against Theon. So, he's clearly not even pretending to be against flaying on principle, and is ready to endorse it in public when he can put a good spin on it.

Roose seems to be alittle less flay happy. He's also into fat chicks. 

More like, he's into the big bags of silver they can bring him as dowry.

• we know that roose knows human skin makes poor boots.

No, we don't actually know that. Does he indeed have hands-on experience on that matter? Or was that just a line, to convey to Ramsay that Daddy was still a scary ruthless motherfucker, and not to get any ideas?

I think this fellow in the Merman's Court got it right:

“Roose Bolton’s cold and cunning, aye, but a man can deal with Roose. We’ve all known worse. But this bastard son of his … they say he’s mad and cruel, a monster.”

Oh, don't get me wrong, Roose Bolton is still a villain, but a different kind of villain than his bastard. No, I don't think he enjoys the same things Ramsay enjoys.

Roose doesn't get off on physical torture like Ramsay. It might amuse him occasionally but usually his cruelty is more casual, almost bored. What Roose really enjoys is playing the political game, with all the destruction and betrayal and bloodshed that entails

Roose is only more discreet. Ramsay and Roose both enjoy psychological torment just as much as physical.

Yes, people only think Roose is more reasonable, less sadistic, and easier to deal with than Ramsay due to the fact that he's discreet with his cruelties.

The only difference between them is impulse control. Roose is Ramsay if Ramsay could control his urges when needed.

When I think of Roose I think of Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs. When I think of Ramsey I think of a B rated horror flick.

Reek and Roose have a little talk:

"He … he said …" He said to tell you nothing. The words caught in his throat, and he began to cough and choke.

"Breathe deep. I know what he said. You're to spy on me and keep his secrets." Bolton chuckled. "As if he had secrets. Sour Alyn, Luton, Skinner, and the rest, where does he think they came from? Can he truly believe they are his men?" ADWD Reek III

BTW the actor Iwan Rheon, Ramsey, is quite funny in Vicious.

Archived