NFL 2015 Week Two: 16 teams still have hope

Rhom

Oh, BTW Mex, I did pick the Bengals, although the Broncos won in the end, so it didn't really matter.  It is worrisome that my first two picks (denver and Indy) looked so poor though. 

Good deal. I wouldn't bet on the Bengals this week against SD though. Anything can happen in that game.

Good deal. I wouldn't bet on the Bengals this week against SD though. Anything can happen in that game.

I'm not allowed to pick the same team two weeks in a row anyway.  But I don't feel good about that matchup either, hard to predict.  SD might be pretty good. 

Of course when he did, they got like 3 ypc. It wasn't Norv's best game but Zimmer did come out today and say Teddy didn't play well at all.

Adrian Peterson is like the highest variance back in the history of the league.  You keep feeding it to him because he eventually breaks those 20+ yard runs.  He's not, and never has been, the type of back that can be effective getting like 8 carries.

Penalties and special teams disasters were more than enough to lose that game, even though we did outplay Miami for large portions of the game.  The GM is talking about building up both lines, and one week in it looks like he means it.  The O and D lines were good enough to win, which isn't something I'd say much the past two years. 

On the whole, we looked like a real football team.  Not a good football team, but nowhere near the embarrassment that some people were predicting.  My pessimism bottomed out in week 4 of the preseason, and I decided that while the team is bad, it is not in any noteworthy way.  I expect fewer blowouts than last year, but not a lot more wins, probably 5-11, give or take a game or two depending on luck. 

FO predicted the Skins would finish with the worst DVOA in football. PFT had the Skins 32nd in the power rankings. But this never felt like the worst team in football. Cousins (or McCoy) is always sporadically competent enough to win you games here and there before imploding in a flurry of ridiculous interceptions. And as you say, the lines are probably too talented to be that bad. I guess a 2-14 "in every game" Texans like season is possible. Wouldn't bet on it though. 

I was gonna say, nevertheless, maybe they'd benefit by being the worst team in football. And then I'm like, no, stay the fuck away from Cardale Jones. That, to me, is most definitely not the answer.

The Australian blogger blogging about the 49er game is the best thing that came out of week one other than everyone giving Jace a hug for being a whiny git who only has had one superbowl to celebrate in the last 10 years.

The cameras are focussed on Adrian Peterson. Good shiny head on him.

This is the best draft for quarterbacks in recent memory.  Goff, Connor Cook, and Cardale Jones are all potential franchise guys.

I'm not yet convinced. There aren't a ton of QBs who succeed in the NFL when completing sub 60% pass in college so not entirely sure about Cook. He looks great at times and unconvincing at others. Jones, still not enough tape on him yet. I do like Goff though, seems like he has a strong arm and good pocket presence. 

Cook is not remotely going to be successful. Sorry. He'll be a fine backup, but he doesn't have any of the tools that you want for a franchise QB - accuracy, decision making, strong arm, experience against great defenses, etc. 

Jones is going to be very, very raw. Because of the talent around him, he has a lot of leeway in what he can and cannot get away with. He's a monster of a physical specimen though.

Goff is the real wildcard to me.

I'm not yet convinced. There aren't a ton of QBs who succeed in the NFL when completing sub 60% pass in college so not entirely sure about Cook. He looks great at times and unconvincing at others. Jones, still not enough tape on him yet. I do like Goff though, seems like he has a strong arm and good pocket presence. 

This. Regarding Cardale Jones, I don't know how we can make any kind of judgment on a guy who's played 4 games to this point and remains incredibly raw. It's impossible to project. I'd also say 2012 qualifies as "recent memory". 

I'm least sold on Cook for sure, but he has talent.

Jones has more talent than anyone I can remember. He's definitely raw, but I really like his chances.

Goff is great.  The only reason he doesn't get recognized is because he plays for a terrible team that still loses when he puts up 45 points for them.

Greg Cosell breaks down some Mariota film. Shocking no one, he did pretty good out there.

Something that he did that I didn't see in college is the almost no stance throw. The first TD he made where he didn't even change his back stance and threw a strike was pretty interesting to me - mostly because it's an absurdly fast throw on target without actually getting his body into it. Being able to hit that pass in that time is a pretty major deal, and opens a lot of windows that don't exist for other QBs. 

Clowney looks like The Predator here, so big and fast

I know I said I'd stop talking about Madden, but Tamba Hali was doing that to me on literally every play from scrimmage when I played the Chiefs. I couldn't run away from him and I sure as shit couldn't run towards him.

Chasing down plays when unblocked is something I don't see people talk about enough when discussing great edge setters/rushers.

Vikings offensive coachign was pretty disastrous. The coach seemed to buy into the bizarre Teddy Bridgewater hype, and just didn't give the ball to Adrian Peterson.

I couldn't believe it. I know Norv's a good OC and I was wondering if maybe he was seeing matchups that the rest of us (Teddy included) weren't. But the best way to stop those inside blizes are to call runs that take advantage of them. Or at least drag Kyle Rudolph through the vacated space.

The Australian blogger blogging about the 49er game is the best thing that came out of week one other than everyone giving Jace a hug for being a whiny git who only has had one superbowl to celebrate in the last 10 years.

Love you too, buddy. :)

Also think Cody Kessler is worth mentioning. He is on the short side, but he is putting up absolutely ridculous numbers.

His numbers will be insane but yea, his size will be a detriment when it comes to drafting time.

I was just scrolling down to dare you to ignore Kessler at your own risk. Someone's gonna steal him in the second or third round (if they don't wise up in the 1st) and unless it's... Actually, I don't care who it is. I'm probably gonna keep a close eye on and root for the team that nabs him. Guy's got great pocket awareness, decent movement with guys around him, and accuracy. Kinda like a young... Drew Brees!?! (I'm totally in love with Cody Kessler) I actually wouldn't mind seeing him replace Garappolo and in 3 years emerge as our new QB savior.

Jones has more talent than anyone I can remember. He's definitely raw, but I really like his chances.

The thing is though, QB's that succeed in the NFL are defined by their intangibles, their pocket presence, their accuracy, how they read defenses, the extent they'll work on their craft. Are we sure Jones possesses these things? I mean, maybe, but how can one know? It's small, but as far as a window into his personality, his pissing match with Joakim Noah didn't inspire confidence. 

Hell, I thought RGIII had almost everything you could want in a QB. Amazing leadership, perfect mechanics in college. And both those things eroded in the face of adversity. How does Cardale respond to adversity? We'll have no way of knowing on the most talented team in the nation. 

The upside is certainly there - would just need to see a lot more before I'd use the #1 pick in the draft on him. And irrespective of other teams, for Washington specifically I'm not sure you ever draft him. 

Holy crap, did I go to bed before they listed Jim Tomsula's previous jobs? Deadspin has the graphic and it's amazing:

• Medical Equipment Sales Rep
  • Newspaper Delivery Man
  • Night Janitor
  • Firewood Cutter
  • Cleaned Floors at a Department Store
  • Food Sales Rep
  • Doormat Salesman

I can't remember, did the 49ers put their head coach opening on Craigslist? 

ETA: Now I understand Byron Maxwell's day

Holy crap, did I go to bed before they listed Jim Tomsula's previous jobs? Deadspin has the graphic and it's amazing:

• Medical Equipment Sales Rep
  • Newspaper Delivery Man
  • Night Janitor
  • Firewood Cutter
  • Cleaned Floors at a Department Store
  • Food Sales Rep
  • Doormat Salesman

I can't remember, did the 49ers put their head coach opening on Craigslist? 

ETA: Now I understand Byron Maxwell's day

"Doormat salesman" inspires so many questions.

Doormats have salesmen? Did work at a store that specialized in doormats, or work in the doormat department of a store, or did he go door-to-door to do that? Was he a really good salesman, and could brag about "being so good I can sell doormats to... people who already have nice doormats?"

Did he pick that job just because it looks so sad on a resume?

Is the fact that he was a "doormat salesman" the clinching factor in the 49ers front office deciding he'd be the ideal guy to take over the team when it became clear that things were going to fall apart?

Archived