Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5/S 6 speculation continued [book and show spoilers]

kissdbyfire

You laugh now but just wait till that magic cock subdues the Sons of the Harpy, brings peace and love to Slaver's Bay and gives him control of ALL THREE DRAGONS! One stroke and Drogon abandoned Dany in the Dothraki... definitely not the Sea.

So true. And I can't even bear to think about how they reduced Dany's beautiful last chapter in ADWD to "My cranky baby dragon wants to sleep, so I'll drop my ring and hope someone finds it."

It is a pretty crappy teaser, but it does give me some hope that they'll at the very least correct that horrible mess they made of Bloodraven in S4.

Is that too much to hope? Von Sydow will be excellent even if his dialogue is bad and screen time is lacking.

Beware of such thinking. Hope is there to be crushed.

My hope is limited to perhaps one scene with the Hound where he's not completely out of character, and one scene with Daario's butt.

So true. And I can't even bear to think about how they reduced Dany's beautiful last chapter in ADWD to "My cranky baby dragon wants to sleep, so I'll drop my ring and hope someone finds it."

That was my favourite Dany chapter in the entire book. Given how much they love the Khaleeeesiiii I thought that if nothing else we would get her waiting like a badass for the khalasar to ride up. Even Arya was left in a bad way and Cersei didn't have that magnificent ending that shows that she's coming back more deadly than ever in her last POV. Instead she's sobbing and pathetic. It's like they hate women or something.

The teaser just had nothing really uplifting in it to make anyone feel "good" or "happy". More of the same dread in some cases while I think they are trolling us with what? Actually, finally some justice for: The Red Wedding? maybe. Ned's death? justice against whom? Carol? Jaime losing his sword hand? Locke is dead, besides, it was justice for him enough. Then, LF preying upon Sansa? More of the same to come? Believe it? This teaser was done on the cheap but at least it something I suppose.

The sad thing is they trolled us with "revenge" in their teasers and trailers a lot. 

Was their promotion in season four not all about the North remembers. I think we did not even see a little resistance of the Northmen in that episode. And then in season 5 it was said by the old lady, who was flayed by Ramsay, and by Ramsay and maybe by some other people?

While the phrase is well-know, it is said a lot less in the books than for example You don't know nothing, Jon Snow. It said first by Robb Stark (talking about the fact Harrion, Karstark Junior, would never able to forgive his father's killer because his men would turn on him), then by Manderley (twice during his mummer's farce speech) by lady D ("feral smile") and in WoW

by Theon: 

"Wyman Manderly." The king's mouth twisted in contempt. "Lord Too-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse. Too fat to come to me, yet he comes to Winterfell. Too fat to bend the knee and swear me his sword, yet now he wields that sword for Bolton. I sent my Onion Lord to treat with him, and Lord Too-Fat butchered him and mounted his head and hands on the walls of White Harbor for the Freys to gloat over. And the Freys... has the Red Wedding been forgotten?"
"The north remembers. The Red Wedding, Lady Hornwood's fingers, the sack of Winterfell, Deepwood Motte and Torrhen's Square, they remember all of it." Bran and Rickon. They were only miller's boys. "Frey and Manderly will never combine their strengths. They will come for you, but separately. Lord Ramsay will not be far behind them. He wants his bride back. He wants his Reek." Theon's laugh was half a titter, half a whimper. "Lord Ramsay is the one Your Grace should fear."  

GRRM do not use it randomly to say: oh look, revenge and then nothing. It is sparsely used and used in connection to people who are important to the North's revenge and it is not said by fucking Ramsay Snow. (And I admit I looked it once up who said North remembers . I needed it for my signature. I was actually really surprised it was only said by four people)

(Okay, I knew Bran would not return in season five but still) they used the sight to promote season 5. In the books Bran disappears actually quickly from page but in Jon's and especially Theon's chapters he is present. There are reference to Bran, they even sometimes hear/see him IIRC, all those ravens, one-eyed animals ;-)  but in the show there is no sign of watching ravens or other animals, no Bran "interference" and no warging by Jon or Arya. 

In the trailers of season 5 they also mentioned Sansa would take her revenge on the Boltons and we all know what happened in season 6. 

And to be certain if I remembered correctly, I rewatched the trailer of season 5. I am completely disgusted. They included LF saying "There is no justice in this world, not unless we will made it (...) Avenge them" to Sansa. And later appears the world "justice has a price". 

The sad thing is they trolled us with "revenge" in their teasers and trailers a lot. 

Was their promotion in season four not all about the North remembers. I think we did not even see a little resistance of the Northmen in that episode. And then in season 5 it was said by the old lady, who was flayed by Ramsay, and by Ramsay and maybe by some other people?

While the phrase is well-know, it is said a lot less in the books than for example You don't know nothing, Jon Snow. It said first by Robb Stark (talking about the fact Harrion, Karstark Junior, would never able to forgive his father's killer because his men would turn on him), then by Manderley (twice during his mummer's farce speech) by lady D ("feral smile") and in WoW

Hidden Content

GRRM do not use it randomly to say: oh look, revenge and then nothing. It is sparsely used and used in connection to people who are important to the North's revenge and it is not said by fucking Ramsay Snow. (And I admit I looked it once up who said North remembers . I needed it for my signature. I was actually really surprised it was only said by four people)

(Okay, I knew Bran would not return in season five but still) they used the sight to promote season 5. In the books Bran disappears actually quickly from page but in Jon's and especially Theon's chapters he is present. There are reference to Bran, they even sometimes hear/see him IIRC, all those ravens, one-eyed animals ;-)  but in the show there is no sign of watching ravens or other animals, no Bran "interference" and no warging by Jon or Arya. 

In the trailers of season 5 they also mentioned Sansa would take her revenge on the Boltons and we all know what happened in season 6. 

And to be certain if I remembered correctly, I rewatched the trailer of season 5. I am completely disgusted. They included LF saying "There is no justice in this world, not unless we will made it (...) Avenge them" to Sansa. And later appears the world "justice has a price". 

To me, it was all about having Sansa "broken in" by Ramsay, The title of that episode is so insulting it makes me furious. They are (I must not degress to their level) but it was sick twisted stuff regarding Winterhell and they trolled us hard. I think the worst is yet to come.

but there are better butts!

Wench, please don't take away the only thing I enjoyed in season 5, and probably the only thing I will enjoy in season 6.

Then again, maybe not. Maybe just as they are about to have reunion sex, he is killed, because, shock!

Wench, please don't take away the only thing I enjoyed in season 5, and probably the only thing I will enjoy in season 6.

Then again, maybe not. Maybe just as they are about to have reunion sex, he is killed, because, shock!

He might be because I think it is mentioned in the books that he's in a vulnerable position. Remember how it's mentioned in the books that Ramsay has sex(rape is such a fluid term) with women and they turned it into a full-blown relationship on the show?

That was my favourite Dany chapter in the entire book. Given how much they love the Khaleeeesiiii I thought that if nothing else we would get her waiting like a badass for the khalasar to ride up. Even Arya was left in a bad way and Cersei didn't have that magnificent ending that shows that she's coming back more deadly than ever in her last POV. Instead she's sobbing and pathetic. It's like they hate women or something.

My favorite, too. It was so beautifully written. And could have been filmed so beautifully, too. It's what her entire story for five books was building up to, and they just scrapped the whole thing. All the meaning, gone. And this is one of their "big" characters!

And Arya, too. They also went backwards with her, she went from the emotional kills to the deliberate kills, this was an evolution. The kill from the season 4 premiere was from Mercy, and that's how the final kill should have been. Not frenzied psycho killer.

Yeah, that's a big writing no no. The Starks are presented in the worst possible light, Ramsay and LF in the best possible light. Starks are losers, Ramsay/LF are winners. And they say the Starks are "weighed down by honor" like honor is a bad thing. 

But the worst of all is they give Ramsay/LF the lines they should never have. It started in season 1, with LF telling Sansa Sandor's story. And LF telling Lyanna's story was disgusting. And the lines he should never say, just as Ramsay should never say them.

Words have power, so you have to be very careful in a story who says them.

Also, Rory sighting at German Comic Con. Here's a better link to the pic...

Good point, Tijgy. GRRM didn't have to use it randomly because instead of just telling us, he showed us, with all those great ADWD Winterfell chapters that just kept ramping up the tension inside the wreckage of Winterfell while a freakish winter storm howls outside its walls and the bodies pile up inside. Besides Lady Dustin and Wyman Manderly, there were Stouts, Flints, Hornwoods, Cerwyns, Umbers, Tallhearts, Ryswells, all of whom HATE the Boltons. Here's Lord Ondrew Locke of Oldcastle:

"The gods have turned against us," old Lord Locke was heard to say in the Great Hall. "This is their wroth. A wind as cold as hell itself and snows that never end. We are cursed."

I reread those chapters this week, and one thing struck me. The Show!Fanboys all go on about how Sansa's rape was "in the books." No, it wasn't. And actually, Jeyne's rape wasn't in the books either. Sexual assault, sure, of both her and of Theon, but the chapter ends with one of the most chilling lines of the book: "He bent to his task." That's it. No ripping dresses, no hammy "watch her become a woman," no sobs, just an order at knifepoint and and "he bent to his task."  Both the book and the show were indeed horrifying, but in the theater of the mind, a much more nuanced horror than a closeup of Theon's weepy eyes and snotty nose.  

Good point, Tijgy. GRRM didn't have to use it randomly because instead of just telling us, he showed us, with all those great ADWD Winterfell chapters that just kept ramping up the tension inside the wreckage of Winterfell while a freakish winter storm howls outside its walls and the bodies pile up inside. Besides Lady Dustin and Wyman Manderly, there were Stouts, Flints, Hornwoods, Cerwyns, Umbers, Tallhearts, Ryswells, all of whom HATE the Boltons. Here's Lord Ondrew Locke of Oldcastle:

I just really like the fact The North remembers was said by Robb (Red Wedding) and the phrase was always used in the novels in connection with the anger of the North against the Freys (Red Wedding) (Manderley says it when he is talking about those Freys at his court and mentions the death of his son during the Red Wedding; Lady D when they are talking about the death suffered by house Ryswell and house Dusting at the Red Wedding and

(Theon) do mention the other hurts by the North like the sack of Winterfell. But Stannis and he are still talking about the fact Manderley and Frey would not attack together because of the Red Wedding

Now I am starting to have a headcannon in which Manderley is organizing in his secret service room (his privy of course which is decorated with shellfish, mermen, ...) with Robett Glover (:wub:), Umber uncles, ... his secret mission "The North Remembers") which head purpose is to slaughter as many Freys as they can. And the first part of the mission calls of course: "Rat Cook".  

But of course in the show there has never been any indication of even resentment of the North against the Freys except maybe Tyrion saying in the council "The Northeners will never forget" or something like that

Ok more rantable news, courtesy the Writers Guild of America and WiC:

Game of Thrones is nominated in two categories: Outstanding Drama Series overall, and the Episodic Drama category for “Mother’s Mercy,” the season finale. The overall nomination includes series showrunners and writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, plus Bryan Cogman and Dave Hill. “Mother’s Mercy” was written by Benioff and Weiss.

I'm can't even. :unsure: "You need the bad pussy." "Speak up. It can’t be worse than mutiny." Renly the "rightful king." Meryn the Paedo. "I’m glad that you’re my father." "My Valyrian is a bit nostril." Traitor sign. 

:huh:

I think the books might be more appropriate. Less gratuity.

I let me soon to be 13 year old son (2 weeks!) watch sometimes as long as I have seen the episode first. The scenes I always mute & fast forward through are the brothel scenes, rape scenes... and maybe some of the over the top torture scenes. I am not prude about regular sex between consenting people, boob flashes, and good ol'regular bits of gore, guts and black stuff. I write children's books myself and always have "story" on my mind so I grit my teeth and explain why a scene is good or not or just plain ol'trashy. I actually heard him mumble under his breath in one scene, "god, more naked girls, this is getting boring." I was a proud momma at that moment :D. He has listened to the three Dunk & Egg novellas with me as well. He really likes those stories. He has read most of Game and likes it better than the TV show. Last night I enlisted him in to child labor to help me paint something and I put on the Radio Westeros Jon Snow episode and he was super in to it... like he was really quiet and really listening to it.

P.S.

I do use a critique group and editor in my own stories so they don't end up looking a mess like my posts! :cheers:

Archived