Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5/S 6 speculation continued [book and show spoilers]

kissdbyfire

And they had Arya and the waif have cat fights over Kindly!Jaqen, but Arya chose to call herself Lanna, not Cat.  They can't even mess up the story consistently. And more cat fights ahead, they spotted the waif chasing her through the streets of Braavos. Not sure if jumping in the canal is part of that. Maybe they pull each other's hair!

One of those built in opportunities for them to add depth to the character, and instead, they tossed it aside, like it was nothing. She chose her mother's name, not the name of the family who killed hers. But hey, why would a name matter to an interchangeable female unit? Arya would have killed herself on the spot before calling herself Lanna.

I liked Arya being called Lanna (or Lana) but that's because I used to be a fan of Smallville, and that recalled me of that show.

However, I totally agree that they should have called her CAT because Lanna was, at most, a terciary character in the books; so I guess.....

1) that the writers are hardcore fans of Lanna from Feast

2) they couldn't adapt the original name of Cat of the Canals because it would have been too faithfull to the books, and that couldn't have worked on screen, of course!

I hate they didn't include Tommen's cats. And age has nothing to do with it. My son is 14 and he loves cats. Also, when we were watching Toy Story with the cute christmas kitty, he was like "omg, this is so cute I'm dying!!!" and started to fanboy all over.

And there are professional cats. Of course, they are way more of divas than Beyonce, but they know how to behave in acting. Aragon, for example. The problem is that D&d are lazy as fuck. They give up to easily when something doesn't work.

LOL, Catfather :D

And there are professional wolfs, dogs, ravens, crows, owls, ... There used to be even professional orkas (Maybe that was not a great idea or maybe it is just bad to keep those animals captive, what also can be said about other animals ... However Free Willy actually had as consequence the public wanted to free Keiko! Poor thing btw)

They are in love of anything Lannister. The even managed to put it in Arya's plot.

I think they clearly sympathize with House Lannister. Clearly, they grew up rich and entitled. In their mind, a girl like Sansa should be proud to have sex with Tyrion. Aferall, he is Rich and a Lannister, what more could a girl want? The fact that his is a deformed, scared dwarf who is notorious for drinking and whoring should not be a problem! About her dad's death, not his fault !  Tywin = Lawful Neutral? organizes gang rapes of daughter in law, orders children butchered, the Riverlands scourged, women and girls raped, crops burned, men butchered. Cersei = just an overprotective "Tiger Mom". Nothing she does should be held against her. Yep, they love the Golden Lions.

I think they clearly sympathize with House Lannister. Clearly, they grew up rich and entitled. In their mind, a girl like Sansa should be proud to have sex with Tyrion. Aferall, he is Rich and a Lannister, what more could a girl want? The fact that his is a deformed, scared dwarf who is notorious for drinking and whoring should not be a problem! About her dad's death, not his fault !  Tywin = Lawful Neutral? organizes gang rapes of daughter in law, orders children butchered, the Riverlands scourged, women and girls raped, crops burned, men butchered. Cersei = just an overprotective "Tiger Mom". Nothing she does should be held against her. Yep, they love the Golden Lions.

Makes you wonder if that's why they left out the Brave Companions and the Tysha reveal.  And the only unpleasantness for Arya was the possibility of her identity being discovered.  Beatings?  Rape threats?  Not with Tywin in charge.   They didn't want to confuse the issue.  If he's Lawful Neutral, he can't do that kind of stuff!  Urgh!

Makes you wonder if that's why they left out the Brave Companions and the Tysha reveal.  And the only unpleasantness for Arya was the possibility of her identity being discovered.  Beatings?  Rape threats?  Not with Tywin in charge.   They didn't want to confuse the issue.  If he's Lawful Neutral, he can't do that kind of stuff!  Urgh!

I know Right, we got St Tyrion instead of the Greedy, sleazy Goblin Tyrion really is. He does have some goodness in him but he is no Saint. Cersei though, turning her into "Carol". She is the one that ruthlessly had Robert's children hunted and murdered, including an infant. On the show, they knew there was no way around Joff being evil, so they put that on him. Their bias for the Lannisters is clear as day.

I liked Arya being called Lanna (or Lana) but that's because I used to be a fan of Smallville, and that recalled me of that show.

However, I totally agree that they should have called her CAT because Lanna was, at most, a terciary character in the books; so I guess.....

1) that the writers are hardcore fans of Lanna from Feast

2) they couldn't adapt the original name of Cat of the Canals because it would have been too faithfull to the books, and that couldn't have worked on screen, of course!

My theory about this is that they truly despise Catelyn and like some weird book fans completely and totally deny that Arya is, in fact, a lot like her mother when it shouldn't be such a surprise that a daughter would share some of her own mother's personality or even love and miss her despite their differences.:rolleyes:

Can I just say how much I don't really like Cersei, Tyrion or Tywin in the books whereas I do like Jaime, who is very clearly the one Lannister they don't like. Really annoying actually. I am just reading something being said in the Climbing the Spitball Wall on that site who's name escapes me, and the former unsullied's line about how it baffled her that the showrunners wanted to remove character development from Jaime and it just, well... you get the drill by now I dare say.

Well, Jaime is also my favourite Lannister just for the insane amount of character development he goes through. I also liked our dark-grey book-Tyrion, but I have to sadly admit that Saint Tyrion ruined him for me. And I'm pretty sour about that. My faves are my faves because of their rich backstories, the flow of their chapters and the drama they are involved in. Liking them for character qualities is something I try to avoid (especially in ASoIaF where everyone has a cellar full of corpses). But even then I have a hard time not to despise Victarion for being a dumb brute (but partly also because he pretty much carries a hat with the inscription "Ships for Dany!" on his head...).

For the book Lannisters, I've liked Jaimie and Tyrion best, because GRRM put alot of effort into character development for the both of them.  And they contrast each other; as Jaimie goes towards good as Tyrion goes towards the bad.  They keep my interest and I want to know what happens next with both of them.  Cersei has just been too mean for my taste, but just the same, GRRM has put much effort into her journey to crazy town.

But GOT isn't about character development over time, themes or even about telling a coherent story.  So Jaimie becomes 'bad', Tyrion is a saint and Cersei the struggling tiger mom.  

M'eh.

All characters in the books have value, the showriters put their stock in the ones they wanted for their show because of how they seem to feel towards the book characters. Some they hate, some they love, some they envy. It shows in their work. Jaime has tremendous upside to him. I will say that all characters in the books are important and I appreciate their purpose but I feel no guilt in expressing disdain or admiration for any of them, just like real people. Tyrion, is like Stannis in a way. An asshole, both lost paretents/were without the love from them at an early age etc... I like it when they take it to the people who are, atleast in my opinion, the really bad guys and gals(Stannis vs Boltons/Freys). Tyrion when he shows disdain for Cersei and Joffrey is good but it still does not remove the fact that he is a twisted little shit and is also a traitor for his support of his family, despite knowing of the twincest bastards and the injustice his family has done and continues to do to hold on to power - ie Jon Arryn, Ned Stark, The Red Wedding etc. He knows, he knows Stannis is the true King but he does what he does out of personal greed and ambition. What he planned on doing to Sansa etc. He is not truly evil but he is dark enough and obnoxious enough to hate. St Tyrion and his sanctimonious lines, outstreched arms "I, am the Gift", was way over the top for me. I am sick of TV Tyrion (St Tyrion). Cersie, have so many people forgotten season 1, 2 and 3. Gnashing teeth, all of the innocents slaughtered, her reaction to the Red Wedding. Lady's death? It angers me when they say Cersie is a victim and we can thank the show for it. However, when the showriters say Jaime is a bad guy etc. and write him like this, it is really a warped view of the novels. Creating the story this way is one thing but in their outside the episode interviews, they seem to view these characters, especially the Lannisters in a point of view that not many others see them in. It makes me wonder.

For the book Lannisters, I've liked Jaimie and Tyrion best, because GRRM put alot of effort into character development for the both of them.  And they contrast each other; as Jaimie goes towards good as Tyrion goes towards the bad.  They keep my interest and I want to know what happens next with both of them.  Cersei has just been too mean for my taste, but just the same, GRRM has put much effort into her journey to crazy town.

But GOT isn't about character development over time, themes or even about telling a coherent story.  So Jaimie becomes 'bad', Tyrion is a saint and Cersei the struggling tiger mom.  

M'eh.

I completely adore Cersei's storyline. She is just so ... interesting to read about. I also love Jaime in the RIverlands. I only like Tyrion's chapter of the content and do not really Tyrion as a character. 

So I really am upset with Larry and Carol story in the show

You gotta love Season 6 already. I think they'll not even care enough to hide their true thoughts and developments this year. The new teaser for season 6 consists of their three favorites: Daenerys looking at nothing, clearly prisoner of the Dothraki, Ramsay (Jezz, I wonder who's the main character. Sansa? Arya? Theon? Jaime? Brienne? Any POV?) returning from a hunt to find Sansa/Theon, I'd bet, and Carol and Dude-fied Tommen. 

Ser Ilyn made the perfect drinking companion. He never interrupted, never disagreed, never complained or asked for favors or told long pointless stories. All he did was drink and listen.

It's a tiny thing, but when I read this in Jaime's last AFFC chapter I couldn't help but chuckle a bit. Of course the show would then have him choose a person the complete opposite of this to join him for his bro trip.

You gotta love Season 6 already. I think they'll not even care enough to hide their true thoughts and developments this year. The new teaser for season 6 consists of their three favorites: Daenerys looking at nothing, clearly prisoner of the Dothraki, Ramsay (Jezz, I wonder who's the main character. Sansa? Arya? Theon? Jaime? Brienne? Any POV?) returning from a hunt to find Sansa/Theon, I'd bet, and Carol and Dude-fied Tommen. 

I'm pretty sure D&D don't decide how the show's marketing goes down.

Archived