NFL 2015 Week 10: Down on your Luck

Mexal

Also, while Eli did play with the injury, he didn't have arm strength issues to begin with. Manning does being unable to plant his foot without intense pain will affect him significantly more given where his arm is today. Manning is clearly done regardless, but lets not ignore that the cause and effect of Manning's foot injury is significantly worse play than we've seen from him.

It kind of does, because two weeks ago Manning had one of the best games by a QB this season. It's very odd for you to both go off on Joe Pesci for bringing up that Edelman's being out would be an excuse and then decry all the excuses that people are making for Peyton. 

If it's legitimate to accept that the Pats wouldn't perform as well with Edelman out (which it is), it's legitimate to accept that Peyton was throwing very badly due to an injury. 

But my point is that Manning has been playing bad all season;the impact of the injury should be measured.  Did it have a huge impact or a minor one?  Or someplace in between?  I think accepting the words is to toss aside critical anlysis.  

Manning played fine two weeks ago against GB, but was supposedly suffering from this injury.  Seems sketchy to me.  

Mexal:

And the Eli injury is to say that you can play with the injury; Peyton cannot play, injury or not; picks in every game this season; terrible accuracy.  Is it all on the injury?  Can't be.  

Tried to find who told me 'YOU'RE NOT A PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE!!!' when (I wanna say) Mexal and I were discussing why Cruz might not make it back to the field due to the complications associated with a major operation. I'm 90% sure of who it was, and if I'm right then it means... his posts are coming from inside the thread!!!

Oh, so I tried to find the exact exchange so I could gloat about being right about a guy's livelihood being in jeopardy, but the thread in question appears to have been lost to the board exchange. Which is a shame, because I always have a lot of fun going through NFL threads backwards when looking for a particular comment to reference or fact check.

Anyways, strong post LoveRock. Got a little wobbly there when you pointed out 4 times Manning's defense has been superior to Bradys, and one of the years in question featured the worst rushing defense in the league, but you back bounced nicely. You basically got to say all the 'injury, sure!' shit I felt like saying but I'm not 'sposed to say because his grandson was a Colt back in the 2000's.

If he actually has plantar fasciitis and he doesn't need surgery on an underlying condition (like a recurring heel spur or a tear to the tendon), there's really not much treatment for it than rest and Pony The Fuck Up. Never had it myself,  but I've dealt with people who have. It's legendarily painful. I saw a grown man cry when I tried to show him how to stretch/massage his foot to promote healing.

Anyways again, LoveRock has the right of it. I don't care if he suddenly has a debilitating injury that he's had for weeks that we only found out about after a historically bad game where he got benched and clearly is not the best option at QB for his team. Health is a skill, he no longer has it. He clearly cannot play through injuries anymore, he's cooked. Let him go front office Tennessee.

Mexal:

And the Eli injury is to say that you can play with the injury; Peyton cannot play, injury or not; picks in every game this season; terrible accuracy.  Is it all on the injury?  Can't be.  

It's all the injuries combined with the lack of arm strength due to his previous injuries. He's done, I agree, but you can't expect a player with no arm strength to continue to play well when he can't plant his foot and has messed up ribs. It's too much. 

I really don't understand why you're so averse to others saying Manning's injuries are affecting him.

You know what?  I’ll just save everyone some time: I’ll give people a list of reasons why the Pats won on Sunday; just pick the one you find the LEAST offensive to your sensibility:

1. Tom Brady: incredible passing as the game wore on; hit guys long and short. 

2. Danny Amendola: Who I stated was a huge boon for the Pats and that needlessly started a riot on these boards.  Because punt returns are incredibly overrated. 

3. Bill Belichick: Take your pick: unbelievable clock management, especially at the end of the game.  The play calling that worked the whole way; the extraordinary ability to prepare his team for almost every circumstance.

4. Gronk: He takes so much attention off of everyone else.

5. Malcom Butler: He gave up that huge play to start the game (which, sad to say, was more McCourty’s fault for taking a terrible angle on Beckham. But almost the rest of the game he was battling every step of the way; he also knocked the ball out of Beckham’s hands to keep the game in reach.

6. The Giants…

Imma go with

7. Benefited from yet another maddening Catch/Not a Catch call, in the endzone: For what it's worth given the wording of that rule as it presently stands, I think they got it right. That being said, the wording of that rule sucks diseased llama prostate, so that's not worth all that much. Still, credit to Butler for not giving up on the play.

8. Bailed out by the kicker once again: Gostkowski is the shit. Nuff said.

Rob Ryan's defense is historic for all the wrong reasons. The Saints are the first team in league history to allow three consecutive QBs to score 4+ TDs while throwing no INTs. The QBs are a rookie (Mariota) and two guys who are notorious turnover machines (Cousins and Eli). Let's see if Hoyer the Destroyer can make it 4 weeks in a row!

It's all the injuries combined with the lack of arm strength due to his previous injuries. He's done, I agree, but you can't expect a player with no arm strength to continue to play well when he can't plant his foot and has messed up ribs. It's too much. 

I really don't understand why you're so averse to others saying Manning's injuries are affecting him.

Yeah, this. Why think it's a conspiracy? If anything, the real conspiracy is why Kubiak kept trying to play Manning even though it was clear he was injured and not getting better. Same goes for Andrew Luck, honestly. 

Yeah, this. Why think it's a conspiracy? If anything, the real conspiracy is why Kubiak kept trying to play Manning even though it was clear he was injured and not getting better. Same goes for Andrew Luck, honestly. 

Is that even a question really? I give Kubiak half the blame for not having the balls to pull the trigger, but I think you have to give Fetushead the other half. How many picks do you have to throw before you realize that you simply cannot cut it?

So who's the best team right now? Bengals or Panthers?

I agree with ME. Both teams have legit defenses, but Cincy has a much more reliable offense. Though I'd rather have Cam than Dalton. But the three QBs taken between these two......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_Draft

Jake Locker, The Blaine Train and Christian Ponder were all taken before Dalton. In fact, 9 of the 12 first picks have made at least one probowl. Those three are the only ones who didn't. Funny how that worked out over time.

I agree with ME. Both teams have legit defenses, but Cincy has a much more reliable offense. Though I'd rather have Cam than Dalton. But the three QBs taken between these two......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NFL_Draft

Jake Locker, The Blaine Train and Christian Ponder were all taken before Dalton. In fact, 9 of the 12 first picks have made at least one probowl. Those three are the only ones who didn't. Funny how that worked out over time.

You also have Kaepernick taken one pick after Dalton. In 2013, Bengals got a lot of shit for not taking him but taking Dalton instead.

They are just better on offense in literally every position except maybe QB and TE (I'd debate this though). 

I don't think there's any question at TE. Eifert has been Gronklike this season. He wins that comparison hands down. QB is tougher mostly because Dalton has so many more weapons than Newton.

Here's a thought... Should Denver trade for Kaepernick? 

I honestly think he could do great in Kubiak's offense.  It'd be like all the things he did so well that first season and a half for San Francisco.  Hand off to a running back, stretch the field with big throws, be a running threat yourself.  And have a solid defense to back you up.

Sounds like a plan to me.  :dunno:

You also have Kaepernick taken one pick after Dalton. In 2013, Bengals got a lot of shit for not taking him but taking Dalton instead.

Totally forgot about Kaep. Sad to see what's happening with him.

I honestly thought Dalton was the second best QB going into the draft. When the Vikings took Ponder over him I flipped out. I knew Ponder was going to be a bust. Oh well, we got Teddy, though he has been underwhelming all year.

Here's a thought... Should Denver trade for Kaepernick? 

I honestly think he could do great in Kubiak's offense.  It'd be like all the things he did so well that first season and a half for San Francisco.  Hand off to a running back, stretch the field with big throws, be a running threat yourself.  And have a solid defense to back you up.

Sounds like a plan to me.  :dunno:

It would be worth it just to see Vernon Davis lose his mind. Not a bad thought, methinks, but kind of a tough call to make in the middle of a winning season.  

Totally forgot about Kaep. Sad to see what's happening with him.

I honestly thought Dalton was the second best QB going into the draft. When the Vikings took Ponder over him I flipped out. I knew Ponder was going to be a bust. Oh well, we got Teddy, though he has been underwhelming all year.

I did too but until this year, I thought Dalton's limitations would continue to limit the offense. Turned out he just needed his weapons healthy (see what I did there Dante?).

It would be worth it just to see Vernon Davis lose his mind. Not a bad thought, methinks, but kind of a tough call to make in the middle of a winning season.  

Oh I don't think they should trade for him in season, but after the season I would think it would be a good move for them.

I did too but until this year, I thought Dalton's limitations would continue to limit the offense. Turned out he just needed his weapons healthy (see what I did there Dante?).

I assume you are blaming Brady for not keeping his weapons healthy.  Is that, in fact, what you are doing?

Archived