MLB: Book'em Danno!

Arch-MaesterPhilip

Good?

As for the Heyward deal, if he turned down more money from other teams it's almost certainly because of the opt outs. He's only 26 years old, so if he opts out after 3 seasons he'll be a 29 y/o looking for a $200MM+ contract.

More along the lines of "super classy". That's how Andy Van Slyke describes it...

And totally agree on the contract. 

Strange that given multiple reasons, I still don't sports-hate the Cardinals or Trisk.

Must be all the classiness.

Or the Cubs fans constantly testing my good humour.

Nah, it's the Dodgers.

It's all-encompassing, isn't it? It's like the core of a thousand suns, just incinerating you from the inside out.

It's all-encompassing, isn't it? It's like the core of a thousand suns, just incinerating you from the inside out.

This is generally how I explain to Padre and D-back fans why I just can't seem to care about their trumped up rivalries with the Dodgers. There is simply not enough hate to spare for them, not while the Giants continue to exist.

This is generally how I explain to Padre and D-back fans why I just can't seem to care about their trumped up rivalries with the Dodgers. There is simply not enough hate to spare for them, not while the Giants continue to exist.

Yeah, you can't fuck with the classics. Think about the history of those two teams. The both occupied the same fucking city for like 60 years. How nuts that must have been. And then they both move West within a season of one another? Legendary. You can't script that shit.

Michael Cuddyer retired. Pretty surprising news, as the Mets would owe him about 12 million I think for next year. I'm sure he got some kind of buyout, but you have to respect the guy for giving up millions because he knows he can't perform anymore. Or think he's fucking nuts. One or the other.

Apparent out clauses in years three and four.  It's a hell of a steal.  And since there aren't many players who aren't overpaid, it's a hell of a steal.

So signing Heyward for $23 million a year is definitely a steal, but getting Starlin Castro for Adam Warren isn't? Gotcha.

So signing Heyward for $23 million a year is definitely a steal, but getting Starlin Castro for Adam Warren isn't? Gotcha.

Hey,  I'll miss Starlin. But Heyward is a top ten in the game player right now.  Starlin is...Starlin...but the Yankees took on all the money he was owed and sent the Cubs a guy who was arguably the best pitcher on the Yankees in the first half last year.  Based on where Warren ended up it was a fairly even trade, especially if Warren lands in the number 4 slot in the Cubs rotation.  I'm not certain why you think you've stolen something in Castro.

I also don't think the Castro deal was that big of a steal, but I just don't think the Heyward deal can be labeled as a steal because of the money he got. I get that it's the norm now and he is obviously a great player and Cubs are getting nice value but hate the steal label in this instance. I always did like Warren and his numbers were great last year and he can really excel in the NL, but the Yanks numbers at 2nd base last year were brutal and they're just an old ass team who needs some damn youth. 

The Yankees may be taking on the 36m left on Castro's contract but the Cubs are taking on just about that much money for next season alone with a second baseman who is going to be ready for the funeral home when the contract is up and a guy who is a lifetime .268 hitter. His last his HRs and RBI from the last two seasons when combined amount to 24 and 118. So I'm not sure he is a steal if you use the same rationale that you're using on the Castro deal.

Pete Rose's lifetime ban has been upheld.

I'm okay with that. Hell of a player and also one hell of a liar. I realize the MLB is hypocritical as all hell, given that they are in bed with companies like Draft Kings and Fan Duel and such, but I really think Pete earned this with his repeated denials. Can't respect the way he handled this.

Archived