Penny Dreadful Season 3; You Can Either Watch it or Pay to Have Your Teeth Fixed [spoilers]

HexMachina

On 27 February 2016 at 6:35 PM, Astromech said:

Yeah, not too bad. Some boarders prefer to go into the seasons completely blind, so spoiler tags are simply courteous.

Hide contents

From that article it sounds like at least Ethan's time in New Mexico will be seen through flashbacks. I'm wondering if that will be the case and, if so, whether the other characters' separate arcs away from London will be flashbacks as well. It makes the most sense to me since the overarching story still deals with Dracula this season and we see most of the characters in London in the trailers.

I thought I had responded to is already, sorry!

I have to say that I never thought of the flashbacks thug before, but now you mention it it makes a lot of sense. Didn't we also learn that Ethan's father doesn't appear until episode 6 or so? If we are looking at flashbacks, this makes a lot more sense, as it allows Ethan to be back in London before that.

I think the likes of John Clare might not be flashbacks but for the most part the narrative will focus on London. 

Given the show's history with great flashbacks (Closer than Sisters, The Nightcomers) I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do!

On 2/26/2016 at 3:54 PM, Cas Stark said:

Three Cheers for Mr. Lyle!!  LOL.

I'm rewatching season 2, and I have to say, I like Billie Piper less than I did initially, she's kind of an off note.  And can anyone tell me why did Victor cut her hair, did anyone in this period have short hair like that?

Also, why did the Putney's daughter turn on him?  She seemed to be honestly sensitive and kind...and then, boom.  Was it when she touches him and he's cold?  It seemed on rewatching a little bit of an unexplained change.

I totally agree. I've always though Billie Piper was a pretty subpar actor and that accent was pretty horrible honestly. 

9 minutes ago, Knute said:

I totally agree. I've always though Billie Piper was a pretty subpar actor and that accent was pretty horrible honestly. 

Yep, she was pretty awful IMO as a supposed Irish person, and not much better as a bride of frankenstein. She doesn't really have very much range apart from a big toothy smile. But at least they got rid of the accent in season 2. 

I think Season 2 was riddled with issues, and the Putney house of wax plotline was the most half baked and unfulfilling of them all, it lacked any sort of suspense or interest, and just sort of fizzled out.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Yep, she was pretty awful IMO as a supposed Irish person, and not much better as a bride of frankenstein. She doesn't really have very much range apart from a big toothy smile. But at least they got rid of the accent in season 2. 

I think Season 2 was riddled with issues, and the Putney house of wax plotline was the most half baked and unfulfilling of them all, it lacked any sort of suspense or interest, and just sort of fizzled out.

That arc was pretty bad from start to finish. They should have just axed it.

3 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

That arc was pretty bad from start to finish. They should have just axed it.

Agree, I'm not quite sure what its value really was other than crowbarring in another mythic tale of victorian horror. It also seemed a bit of a rehash of John Clare's season one arc where he worked in the theatre too. At the moment I don't think they really know what to do with his character now, possibly its going somewhere and he will join 'the dark team' this season and things will kick off.

John Clare/Caliban's arc so far has been pretty clear and consistent - disilussionment with humanity while also having his own inner monster rearing its ugly head. That seemed to culminatenlast season with his ecision to go into isolation -he'd given up on humanity, and realised (because of Lily) that his whole "immortal mate" plan wasnt such a great idea. People may be awful, but he doesnt want to kill them all and make them all suffer (though he obviously has a violent side - see Proteus and Van Helsing).  I will be curious to see how he rejoins the story and who he is with (they looked new).

I actually liked the Putney arc, but it was pretty much self contained and nothing would have really changed without it so i can see why others wouldnt like it so much. I think it was important for John Clare's character development though.

34 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

John Clare/Caliban's arc so far has been pretty clear and consistent - disilussionment with humanity while also having his own inner monster rearing its ugly head. That seemed to culminatenlast season with his ecision to go into isolation -he'd given up on humanity, and realised (because of Lily) that his whole "immortal mate" plan wasnt such a great idea. People may be awful, but he doesnt want to kill them all and make them all suffer (though he obviously has a violent side - see Proteus and Van Helsing).  I will be curious to see how he rejoins the story and who he is with (they looked new).

I actually liked the Putney arc, but it was pretty much self contained and nothing would have really changed without it so i can see why others wouldnt like it so much. I think it was important for John Clare's character development though.

The problem I have with his arc is pretty much all of that was established in season 1. Bringing in a bride was possibly a good move, but again I'm not sure they really followed through on that promise properly. Clare as a character was mostly sidelined in that plot, to the point where the only thing they could find for him to do was hang around in that underground soup kitchen. It seemed like the Putney storyline was a way of having 'something' for him to be getting on with, but really it didn't push his character forward at all or tell us anything we didn't already know.

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I thought I had responded to is already, sorry!

Hidden Content

I could see that being the case for John Clare's arc. Ethan's makes sense based on that trailer.

The Grand Guignol and Putney Wax Museum were all too similar. However, I loved Clare's interactions with Vanessa being a counterpoint to his experience with the Putneys. Not all humans are monsters. Vanessa seemed to be the one person that truly treated Clare kindly and looked past his gruesome exterior to see who he is. I loved her conversations with Clare in season 2.The actress at the Grand Guignol seemed to only pity him.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I could see that being the case for John Clare's arc. Ethan's makes sense based on that trailer.

The Grand Guignol and Putney Wax Museum were all too similar. However, I loved Clare's interactions with Vanessa being a counterpoint to his experience with the Putneys. Not all humans are monsters. Vanessa seemed to be the one person that truly treated Clare kindly and looked past his gruesome exterior to see who he is. I loved her conversations with Clare in season 2.The actress at the Grand Guignol seemed to only pity him.

I did like the interaction with Vanessa too.. but at that point it just felt like she was having similar conversations and creating deep connections with every single character on the show. Her meeting Clare felt pretty forced because of that, like the writers felt they needed a scene together for some reason, so crowbarred them together.

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

John Clare/Caliban's arc so far has been pretty clear and consistent - disilussionment with humanity while also having his own inner monster rearing its ugly head. That seemed to culminatenlast season with his ecision to go into isolation -he'd given up on humanity, and realised (because of Lily) that his whole "immortal mate" plan wasnt such a great idea. People may be awful, but he doesnt want to kill them all and make them all suffer (though he obviously has a violent side - see Proteus and Van Helsing).  

I know it's in keeping with the gothic tone but the Putneys -douches they may have been - didn't deserve to be killed  (or blind girl orphaned); Whitey may have been abused but he was only imprisoned for a bit and could have broken out anytime.  Maybe slapped around a bit or mangled all the mannequins or their house of horrors burned down or ...

• 2 weeks later...

Some new footage and Eva Green offering some insight

Looks very interesting indeed, and a glimpse of our favourite Mr Lyle too! :D Eva, as ever, looks like she will be putting in a marvellous performance. Nice to see the museum set in a trailer. I had seen photos already but it looks even better in the video. And we know who says the broken creatures line too, hurrah!

1 hour ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Victorian-era mental doctors, huh?  I'm guessing most of them must have had interesting senses of humor.

At least this one is less brutal than the one she was admitted to as a youngster. That was horrific. I wonder if with Mr Lyle

They will have him flitting between Victor and Vanessa and trying to help each out of their respective predicaments, ending up with Vanessa going to Seward and bringing Dr. Jekyll to see Victor. It would make sense, given his relationship with the two, and Beale said last year he would have a smaller role due to other commitments in the Theatre

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

At least this one is less brutal than the one she was admitted to as a youngster. That was horrific. I wonder if with Mr Lyle

Hidden Content

I was wondering about Frankie since he was in worse shape than Nessie when last we saw them. I mean, she just finished kicking the Devil's ass, albeit while he was in puppet form and consequently,  couldn't  match her frown for frown

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you interested in the comics, the Penny Dreadful FB has been posting some images over the last few weeks. From the latest one of Jonathan Harker, it seems likely that the comics will tell the story of Mina's disappearance

Links won't edit into my previous post for some reason. Season 3 Behind the Scenes. New footage, some talk about the plot. All looks very promising.

First glimpse of Hecate, proper look at Jekyll, more obvious shot of Dorian and Lily's rampage, a clear shot of a scene from earlier trailers to make the poor shipper hearts for Vanessa and Ethan go into overdrive (I hope

@BearQueen87 comes back for this season...) 

More shots of Frankenstein. Looks like he manages to pull himself together a bit so he isn't crippled by drug dependence.

Perhaps most intriguing is the end of the video. Eva Green seems to suggest this isn't the last season and there will be more to come

34 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

regarding Billie Piper.... in my opinion, he main reason she's getting grief is because she's on a show with so many outstanding actors... seriously, who wouldn't look like a stiff next to Eva Green & Helen McCrory?

Could be something to that, but I actually developed a newfound appreciation for Josh Hartnett from this show. Was never big on him previously, but he sold me with PD. I think the writing (and the show in general) is good enough all the actors can shine. 

Archived