Paris implications continued

Fragile Bird

Everything is a matter of scale.

So it seems a massive terror attack like this might not be enough to change attitudes in Europe. So the question really then is: How many similar scale attacks will be too much to accept? One such attack every year? What about one such attack every month?

You see, even the most pacifist, tolerant and accommodating liberal will have a threshold for such things. I think that threshold for the majority of Europeans will likely be far lower than the SJW's believe. One more attack on the scale of this most recent one might in fact be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Surely two more would undoubtedly be.

The point is, the idealists currently have the luxury of talking down the scale of the threat. But once it becomes too great to ignore, no one is going to care what the SJW's have to say. Then it will be about protecting your kids, your parents, your community. Your life.

Idealism will then go out the window, and realism will take over.

The thing is, this is definitely not the first major terrorist attack in Europe.

Over the last decade or so, there has been one in London and one in Madrid, there have been a few in Istanbul... And that's just off the top of my head, I'm certain that there have been more.

The thing is, this is definitely not the first major terrorist attack in Europe.

Over the last decade or so, there has been one in London and one in Madrid, there have been a few in Istanbul... And that's just off the top of my head, I'm certain that there have been more.

Not to mention Anders Brevik. Who killed 77 people because he thought he needed to save Norway from Muslims.

I wonder if FNR regards Brevik as a "realist".

Everything is a matter of scale.

So it seems a massive terror attack like this might not be enough to change attitudes in Europe. So the question really then is: How many similar scale attacks will be too much to accept? One such attack every year? What about one such attack every month?

You see, even the most pacifist, tolerant and accommodating liberal will have a threshold for such things. I think that threshold for the majority of Europeans will likely be far lower than the SJW's believe. One more attack on the scale of this most recent one might in fact be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Surely two more would undoubtedly be.

The point is, the idealists currently have the luxury of talking down the scale of the threat. But once it becomes too great to ignore, no one is going to care what the SJW's have to say. Then it will be about protecting your kids, your parents, your community. Your life.

Idealism will then go out the window, and realism will take over.

OK. Let's use Brevik as an excuse to crack down on the Islamophobic Right. 

*Takes a good look around*.

Roose Bolton's Pet

Well that is a new low. Why is the strawman tactic so appealing to you guys?

Anders Brevik? Seriously?

Admit that you just made a ridiculous post, and are in fact embarrassed by it.

Brevik is a far-right nut obsessed with saving Christian Europe from the Muslim hordes. By your own reasoning, he's a realist (with a vision of Fortress Europe to boot).

Yeah sure. Because that's what people on this board have been arguing. For people to go out and randomly shoot people on European streets to defend Europe. Seriously. Strawman.

Next time someone - anyone - argues for tightening up Europes borders - Anders Brevik!

If you argue against millions of refugees being let in. Anders Brevik!

Any suggestion to strengthen security measures that could be deemed to make the situation for migrants less favourable: Anders Brevik!

Which I guess is no more than a rather weak attempt to circumvent Godwin's law.

I think someone mentioned earlier but it bares repeating.

All known Paris attackers where European nationals- http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/11/16/3722838/all-paris-attackers-identified-so-far-are-european-nationals-according-to-top-eu-official/

Weren't there reports that suggested that some of the attackers were registered in refugee centers in Croatia and Serbia?

Or was that false information?

Yeah sure. Because that's what people on this board have been arguing. For people to go out and randomly shoot people on European streets to defend Europe. Seriously. Strawman.

Next time someone - anyone - argues for tightening up Europes borders - Anders Brevik!

If you argue against millions of refugees being let in. Anders Brevik!

Any suggestion to strengthen security measures that could be deemed to make the situation for migrants less favourable: Anders Brevik!

Which I guess is no more than a rather weak attempt to circumvent Godwin's law.

Put it this way. You think Europe ought to turn itself into a Fortress - suggesting that the Paris Attacks will reduce the appetite for multicultural toleration.

By your own reasoning, the Brevik attack clearly means that Europe is far too tolerant of far-right white christians. Would you support Europe clamping down on Islamophobes who want to ensure Europe is white and christian?

Attacks in the last 2 weeks in Muslim and other cities makes it even clearer that ISIS is a fucking enemy of everyone. For some reason, people dying in Ankara or Beirut doesn't matter, though. What else explains blatantly ignoring hundreds of Muslim deaths at the hands of the same organisation? It defies logic.

Crixus

There is a fundamental disconnect here. Attacks in Ankara and Beirut DO matter. To the people in Ankara and Beirut, first and foremost. Similarly, attacks in Western countries will matter more to people from the West.

You can't fix the whole world. But you can try and fix your backyard. Now, if everyone did that, the whole world would be fixed by default.

This idea that the media focuses too much on Western attacks is rather strange, seeing as it is the Western media, after all. I'm sure the Turkish media focuses more on the Turkish attacks just like the Lebanese media focuses on the attacks in Beirut first and foremost.

As they should.

As an attempt to equate the threat presented to Europe by tiny numbers of right wing terrorists, to that presented to the entire West by the worldwide Jihadi movement, I would deem it an abject failure.

Tell that to Brevik's 77 victims.

(And if you think there aren't people out there who share Brevik's worldview, you must have missed the recent rise of the far-right across Europe). 

I think someone mentioned earlier but it bares repeating.

All known Paris attackers where European nationals- http://thinkprogress.org/world/2015/11/16/3722838/all-paris-attackers-identified-so-far-are-european-nationals-according-to-top-eu-official/

This is a great example of a carefully worded article that while not outright lying seeks to misdirect to change the narrative.

First of all here's the claim (which is not what you're saying it is).

All Paris Attackers Identified So Far Are European Nationals, According To Top EU Official

This is of course true and non controversial, we don't know who the man was who passed through Greece on his way to join the terrorist cell in Belgium but we do know he was a refugee because they took his fingerprints and they match the suicide bomber in Paris

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11996120/Paris-attack-what-we-know-about-the-suspects.html

The real name of the suicide bomber apparently carrying a fake Syrian passport when he detonated at the Stade de France remains a mystery, but officials say he entered Europe as an asylum seeker less than two months earlier.

The counterfeit document bearing the name 'Ahmad al Mohammad' was found alongside the body, whose fingerprints match a man using the name to enter Greece in early October.

Federica Mogherini, the EU's chief diplomat, said all the attackers are believed to be EU citizens, however, raising the possibility the man was using the fake passport to re-enter Europe, possibly because his real identity was on a watch list.

You're so keen to cling to your narrative that you won't spend five seconds doing a simple google search or even reading the article you're linking to properly.

What was that in the 1970s and 80s? IRA and ETA? The German left wing "Rote Armee Fraktion" was active then but they only killed a dozen people or so (usually high level businessmen).

EDIT: 1988 was the Lockerbie plane with 270 dead

In any case, I cannot really understand why the Paris attacks now lead to a much stronger response than London and Madrid (or do I mis-remember?), not to speak of the recent attacks in Turkey, the Russian plane and almost weekly killings on the scale of a few dozen in near/middle eastern countries. I guess with the latter we in the West tend to think it's their own fault. But note that most of the assassins in France were also French-born.

Archived