Paris implications continued

Fragile Bird

I'm not talking in terms of scope, I'm talking a specific event that mirrors Munich. Honestly can't think of one. You can either provide one or continue to insult my intelligence. Whatever makes you feel better, Bunky. 

/ETA: If you're suggesting that this shooting, outside of a friendly soccer game between France and Germany on some random Friday night is an equivalent, I can't even begin to agree.

You are serious? Really? Yuo are literally in a thread about an attack by islamic terrorists in Paris and you are asking for a specific event that mirrors an attack by islamic terrorists in Munich? And if you want to just talk about attacks against Israel by Palestinian terrorists the very software on this board is insulted by the implication I need to provide an example of that.

What to you beyond these two things defines the Munich Massacre? What is this comparison "in terms of scope" that you are on about? Cause it seems like your idea of "what counts" is purely post facto and nothing more.

Operation Wrath of God didn't stop terrorism acts against Israel or Israelis. So what did it actually accomplish? What operational capabilities did it end? What did it do to deter violence?

You are suggesting a course of action with no clear indication of what it's purpose is. You know, beyond a desire that someone, somewhere die.

Yes, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_attack_on_the_Sri_Lanka_national_cricket_team

(That's ignoring the oft-suggested attempted gas attack on an Australia/England match).

I remember that, but had forgotten it happened because cricket is against Islam.

Cricket is against Islam....ah-may-zing!  So many sins against Islam being committed around the world!

Oh look, MSJ has revived his template: spew forth self-contradictory word salad expressing simplemindedness and bigotry, then when pressed to elaborate by incredulous people with brains, accuse everyone else of "twisting his words." The words came pre-twisted. At least that board wipe erased his spectacular chest-beating xenophobic rant about how Muslims and Hindus shouldn't expect to bring their cultural influences to this pristine, lily-white nation that's always had an eternal and immutably static culture.

You are serious? Really? Yuo are literally in a thread about an attack by islamic terrorists in Paris and you are asking for a specific event that mirrors an attack by islamic terrorists in Munich? And if you want to just talk about attacks against Israel by Palestinian terrorists the very software on this board is insulted by the implication I need to provide an example of that.

Operation Wrath of God didn't stop terrorism acts against Israel or Israelis. So what did it actually accomplish?

The Olympics. You know, international sporting event that pretty much the entire world sends athletes to compete in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakxwoVV7yM

Yeah, I don't mean to be a dick, but I can't put that on the same level as the Olympics. Extremely smaller scope, don't you think?

Munich resulted in 17 deaths (including five perpetrators). The attack on the Sri Lankan bus killed eight people - with injuries to nine more. I'd say that's an attack on the same level.

The Olympics. You know, international sporting event that pretty much the entire world sends athletes to compete in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakxwoVV7yM

Oh, you mean a terrorist attack on the Olympics?

I mean, this is the stupidest and most nonsensical of criteria for this, but sure:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Olympic_Park_bombing

I'm not sure why you think that is the relevant criteria here though.

Munich resulted in 17 deaths (including five perpetrators). The attack on the Sri Lankan bus killed eight people - with injuries to nine more. I'd say that's an attack on the same level.

Also, it was basically luck that no cricketers were killed, and had any been there would have been significant disruption to international cricket (as it is, Pakistan now has to play in Dubai) which, while not universally popular is still a major global sport.

Honestly doing nothing might not be that bad an idea. A lot of the somethings we (the West) do only make things worse.

I don't actually think doing nothing is the best idea, but it's bad to fall into the trap of "we need to do something. This is something. Let's do it"

Or you can admit that nobody has a better solution besides what is currently being done. 

I don't know what you are expecting, just because you want to does not mean that you can and when people point out that some of these "solutions" being advocated are worse than the status quo, telling them to come up with something better than what is currently being done or go along with their ideas is just plain unreasonable.

The best effort may not be good enough but an increased tolerance for "collateral damage" does not necessarily lead to a better solution.

Everything is a matter of scale.

So it seems a massive terror attack like this might not be enough to change attitudes in Europe. So the question really then is: How many similar scale attacks will be too much to accept? One such attack every year? What about one such attack every month?

You see, even the most pacifist, tolerant and accommodating liberal will have a threshold for such things. I think that threshold for the majority of Europeans will likely be far lower than the SJW's believe. One more attack on the scale of this most recent one might in fact be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Surely two more would undoubtedly be.

The point is, the idealists currently have the luxury of talking down the scale of the threat. But once it becomes too great to ignore, no one is going to care what the SJW's have to say. Then it will be about protecting your kids, your parents, your community. Your life.

Idealism will then go out the window, and realism will take over.

This pacifist attitude so many carry is naive and the number one reason this bullshit is still going on. I say drop the hammer on these coward and the hell with everyone's feelings. It would go a long way to ending the problem. At some point everyone needs to grow a back bone and make some tough choices, that might not be the prettiest ones.

Ah, I see, reducing thousands of civilian casualties down to "tough voices." I hope you see the problem with that approach.

You also said:

"I've been reading these threads and there is some truly deluded, naïve thinking going on. One, did the terrorists care one iota about the innocent lives they took? I keep reading these posts about attacking ISIS and avoiding any and all civilian casualties. Well, that just isn't possible. I hate to see innocent lives taking as much as anyone else, but come on, let's deal with reality. "

So what this bills down to is; terrorists don't care about innocent lives, so neither should we. Worrying.

Archived