Will the Hound die for Sansa?

LordImp

Maybe I didn't phrase it properly. I just meant that -- assuming the Gravedigger is Clegane -- that many believe he's found some sort of inner peace and isn't interested in fighting anymore. More likely (and I can see them taking this route on the show, if not the books) he's just hiding out there while he recuperates and pretending that he's found religion, ha. 

I doubt he's pretending he's found religion, as he had some real healing to do.  In the QI chapter, the gravedigger may be silent it's true, but his actions?  Throwing dirt on Bri's feet is an act of rudeness and disrespect.  Also, he has animal stand-ins to tell us how he feels. 

Stranger wants off the QI and he doesn't want castration so badly he's biting off ears and kicking down stables. This is symbolic for Sandor not wanting to become a celibate monk.  And Dog, well, when Septon Meribald tells the EB that last year's confessions were 'boring' Dog barks.   "You see.  Even Dog was bored." SM remarks.  

Not all novices move on to become monks, some wash out.  I'd say the gravedigger is on his way to washing out.  

I doubt he's pretending he's found religion, as he had some real healing to do.  In the QI chapter, the gravedigger may be silent it's true, but his actions?  Throwing dirt on Bri's feet is an act of rudeness and disrespect.  Also, he has animal stand-ins to tell us how he feels. 

Stranger wants off the QI and he doesn't want castration so badly he's biting off ears and kicking down stables. This is symbolic for Sandor not wanting to become a celibate monk.  And Dog, well, when Septon Meribald tells the EB that last year's confessions were 'boring' Dog barks.   "You see.  Even Dog was bored." SM remarks.  

Not all novices move on to become monks, some wash out.  I'd say the gravedigger is on his way to washing out.  

Spot on.

Melisandre in aSoS:

"More false kings will soon rise to take up the crowns of those who've died...I have seen it in the flames."

So far, we've got Tommen wearing Joff's crown (though it's too big for his head, poor little thing), and Euron taking Balon's driftwood crown. Only Robb's crown is missing some action. 

So yeah, I think it's really possible that Stoneheart is going to crown one of the Starklings. She might even be planning to crown Arya, and that's also why she's combing through the Riverlands looking for her. 

Isn't Lady Stoneheart wearing the crown?

She had it in her hands.

I read that passage as LS holding the crown and looking upon it in a pensive manor.  Perhaps reflecting on how the crown brought trouble and death to her oldest son, Robb. 

I read that passage as LS holding the crown and looking upon it in a pensive manor.  Perhaps reflecting on how the crown brought trouble and death to her oldest son, Robb. 

I'm quite sure Catelyn must think so but at the same time, she acknowledges that the North needs a leader and her children's rights are be those leaders. So, yeah, she might be looking for not only revenge but also to bring everything to order.

I believe Sandor will die because of Sansa.

Their relationship is far more determining for Sandor than it will be for Sansa in the end. He knows that he might be the worst that could happen to her and yet he could be her savior in many, very contrasting, ways.

Sandor might of course die for her, saving her with his last breath, give everything for her. He might though die for her because she sends him to his death, making use of his devotion while he clearsightedly and against better knowledge decides to follow his heart until the bitter end. She may shed some tears for him: The child throws stones after the frog for fun but the frog dies in earnest.

But Sandor might be Sansa's savior in a very different way: he might be there to stop her from doing something terrible. They might even end on different sides and Sandor might even be forced to kill her in the end, this time doing the right thing instead of merely following  unthinking and doglike. 

Actually I think that the interaction between Arya and Sandor might once again be far more meaningful than Sandor's relationship to Sansa, simply because it is an emotional relationship among equals, shaped by respect.

I think Sandor will have a very tragic, painful and bitter story in the end. His part might be more interesting and POV-worthy than Sansa's part - if Martin does not grant him the mercy to let him find peace on the QI.

Maybe I didn't phrase it properly. I just meant that -- assuming the Gravedigger is Clegane -- that many believe he's found some sort of inner peace and isn't interested in fighting anymore.

I think Clegane has found inner peace, and with it, the courage to face fire.  And fighting is not necessarily something one does because one is interested in fighting per se.

Oh hell no. Just no. If I read anything about Clegane sacrificing his life to save the Little Bird it would cause me spew a long list of profane words. Besides he already told her what’s what in Westeros.

He did.  But she was right, and he was wrong.  The "True Knight" is where it's at.

Stranger wants off the QI and he doesn't want castration so badly he's biting off ears and kicking down stables. This is symbolic for Sandor not wanting to become a celibate monk. 

Nah, the grave-dirt hitting Brienne's feet was an accident on Sandor's part.  But it was symbolic foreshadowing.

I think Sandor and the Big Bad Horse have parted ways permanently, just as Sandor and "The Hound" have parted ways permanently.  I think when we next see Sandor, he won't be recognizable, and "Stranger" is far too recognizable.  When we next see a big warrior in a Hound Helm, with a missing ear, and half a face, riding a big black vicious horse, we are supposed to assume this is Sandor.  But it won't be.

LongRider: Some good points you made.

ChillyPolly: More than anything I want Sandor to find courage to face fire, and in a big way. The WhiteWalkers/Others can be defeated by fire, and I think Jon could use some help in the battle to end all battles.

I believe Sandor will die because of Sansa.

Their relationship is far more determining for Sandor than it will be for Sansa in the end. He knows that he might be the worst that could happen to her and yet he could be her savior in many, very contrasting, ways.

Sandor might of course die for her, saving her with his last breath, give everything for her. He might though die for her because she sends him to his death, making use of his devotion while he clearsightedly and against better knowledge decides to follow his heart until the bitter end. She may shed some tears for him: The child throws stones after the frog for fun but the frog dies in earnest.

But Sandor might be Sansa's savior in a very different way: he might be there to stop her from doing something terrible. They might even end on different sides and Sandor might even be forced to kill her in the end, this time doing the right thing instead of merely following  unthinking and doglike. 

Actually I think that the interaction between Arya and Sandor might once again be far more meaningful than Sandor's relationship to Sansa, simply because it is an emotional relationship among equals, shaped by respect.

I think Sandor will have a very tragic, painful and bitter story in the end. His part might be more interesting and POV-worthy than Sansa's part - if Martin does not grant him the mercy to let him find peace on the QI.

the hound dies for arya? Yes he would anyy time.

he would die not simply for Sansa but because of her? Huh, that would be tragic and Martin can see tragedy where we do not expect this. And I think too that he will not survive Martins books if he ever leaves this island.

Sandor has already faced and overcome fire in a big way.  He defeated Lord Beric Dondarrion in single combat when Dondarrion fought with a fiery blade.  Not only did was Beric's blade afire, but as the fight progressed Sandor's shield and arm were burning as well.  In spite of his fear of fire and his burns during the fight, he continued to fight until Dondarrion was vanquished. 

And don't forget, Lord Beric Dondarrion was at the time a supernatural being, as he was undead.

Maybe if you follow the speculations and predictions in this thread (especially the part about Ser Shadrich):

Sansa and the Giants

it could be deduced that Sansa and her captor come across Sandor at the monestary. Maybe they stumble upon Septon Meribald who makes another stop at the monestary thus crossing their paths again.

Alot of Ifs and maybes but I can see it happen that way :D

For Sandor Clegane, dying for Sansa is relatively easy. He'll do something much harder for him. He'll learn to be more polite for Sansa. And he'll dress better. They will be no more wearing of really bad red tunics with dogs' heads on them.

I think she kind of liked the red tunic, though. She petted him wearing it. He knows what he's doing.

Beauty wants a Beast, not a puppy. He's got to stay a bit wild, you know? Stranger would disown him if he's too tame.

Archived