Is Gollum good or bad?

Seiche

He committed murder to get the ring. He'd never even touched it when he did.

You don't have to touch the ring for it to influence your mind. Boromir wasn't touching it when he succumbed to its influence, for example.

You don't have to touch the ring for it to influence your mind. Boromir wasn't touching it when he succumbed to its influence, for example.

The difference there though is that Gollum never understood what the Ring was, it's true nature, whereas Boromir did, and it was the power he coveted. 

Well, from another perspective Boromir coveted what he saw as the opportunity to save Gondor (rather than just power for power's sake). The Ring ate away at his mind until he would have committed murder for it. Seems like classic corruption to me. 

That said, Gollum was pretty easily swayed by the ring compared to Frodo, who hardly seemed to mind it at all even though he had it in his house for months at a time. I don't know if Smeagol was necessarily evil or would have committed evil had Deagol not found the ring, but he was certainly a very weak and sketchy character.

My point was more that Smeagol had no idea at all what the ring was. If was essentially "ooh shiny and pretty. Mine!" Whereas other characters who face the temptation are in full awareness of what it is and the kind of power it can bestoe.

We arent really in disagreement i dont think

My point was more that Smeagol had no idea at all what the ring was. If was essentially "ooh shiny and pretty. Mine!" Whereas other characters who face the temptation are in full awareness of what it is and the kind of power it can bestoe.

On the other hand, that means the other characters know the ring is incredibly dangerous and they should be on their guard, while Smeagol hasn't got a clue that the pretty gold ring is magically warping his thoughts.

Well that was because he had the ring, so he didn't need to take it from anyone. He does willingly give it up though, I suppose.

With a fair bit of reluctance, though.

Yes, but Sméagol had been in the ring's presence for a matter of minutes. Boromir has been in its presence for what, a month? And the ring was twisting his desires. He had a whole heap of concerns, fears and responsibilities weighing him down. It was Sméagol's birthday!

I really don't think that the murder can be blamed much on the ring in that one.

Archived