Awards Season 2016: TV edition (SAG, GG, CCA WINNERS)

Mladen

Helena, is it really THAT good? I still haven't seen it, but apparently it got enough traction...

No love for GoT Season 5? Hmmm... 

Probably not as good as I make it out, no. But we all have something we love to watch and get overly passionate about. Penny Dreadful is mine :) 

ETA: I do think though that even if you don't like the show/storyline, it is a fine example of outstanding acting (from Eva Green, yes, but also from the rest of the cast)

Helena, is it really THAT good? I still haven't seen it, but apparently it got enough traction...

No love for GoT Season 5? Hmmm... 

It's really really really good. Just don't watch while intoxicated or sleepy. It's got a brilliant cast, good dialogue, and incredibly interesting characters. Also, if you like Victorian London stories, it's a treat. 

Probably not as good as I make it out, no. But we all have something we love to watch and get overly passionate about. Penny Dreadful is mine :) 

I think it's better made than most of the stuff on these lists. Empire is an example. Game of Thrones. Homeland. These are things I personally think are of a lower quality, but they don't have the stench of being speculative and therefore get away with crap simply because they are "serious" shows that deal with "the human condition." Well, Game of Thrones is the strange one that gets away with crap BECAUSE it is genre.

Got was nominated for SAG and Golden Globes...

For a show that got record number of Emmys, the number of nominations on three other awarding bodies is drastically low. 

:wub:

It will have to wait after I go through this year's lineup: Narcos, Sense8, Mr Robot and Fargo, but I am looking forward to see it.

It's really really really good. Just don't watch while intoxicated or sleepy. It's got a brilliant cast, good dialogue, and incredibly interesting characters. Also, if you like Victorian London stories, it's a treat. 

Thanks... As for being intoxicated, don't worry... Sleepy, on the other hand, has become the way of life.

I think it's better made than most of the stuff on these lists. Empire is an example. Game of Thrones. Homeland. These are things I personally think are of a lower quality, but they don't have the stench of being speculative and therefore get away with crap simply because they are "serious" shows that deal with "the human condition." Well, Game of Thrones is the strange one that gets away with crap BECAUSE it is genre.

Well, Homeland is amazing this season. Absolutely wonderful. I can't say how much I love Miranda Otto this season. As for Empire, they really have a bad season this year.

Aren't the Emmy's the most prestigious one? There Outstanding Drama award is the most coveted.

Well, Emmys are the "TV Oscars"... Globes always intended to be a bit more prestigious, hence their constant need to award movie stars on TV. Needless to say, they haven't been quite successful in that.

But, the thing is that the change of rules in Emmy voting made it more like a popular contest. That is why Emmy lost a great deal of its value last year.

Yeah I decided to do some research and apparently the Globes are not only considered a huge joke, but also the most bribed of all awards.

Well, of course. You have bunch of journalists deciding what is good and bad, completely dependent on the studios.Every year they provide a bit of laughter (Depp and "Tourist" was particularly good joke), but this year, apparently, they were the sane one. 

In terms of Oscars, SAG brings more weight, because the same people who vote for the nominees and winners are voting for the Oscar nominees. Or at least, members of the SAG who are also members of Academy (I think that Acting branch of Academy counts for around 1500 actors and actresses)

Im gonna be honest, before today I truly thought the Golden Globes were second only to the Oscars in Hollywood. I mean yeah, politics play a huge role in who wins, but I thought it was quite shocking that the Globes were basically Hollywood's redheaded stepchild.

Im gonna be honest, before today I truly thought the Golden Globes were second only to the Oscars in Hollywood. I mean yeah, politics play a huge role in who wins, but I thought it was quite shocking that the Globes were basically Hollywood's redheaded stepchild.

Well, I think everyone sees them as the second to Oscars in Hollywood. TBH, it was not long ago when I discovered what a charade they can be. It was in early 2010s, when I started watching these things carefully. It is rather impressive how they maintain that sort of image. But, make no mistake, even though they have no direct influence on Oscar voting process (GG winners are announced after the Academy finishes voting for nominations), it is a huge must-be-at event and a lot of business is done during those few hours.

Anyway, now I'm over the initial excitement, I have to say I am surprised at how little love OitnB has received here. Only one nomination that I noticed (best comedy SAGs)? Peculiar, it's usually quite popular with the awards ceremonies right? 

Also, no Maslany :closedeyes:

On the plus side though, I just noticed Patti LuPone and Helen McCrory were also nominated for PD, which is excellent 

• 1 month later...

SCREEN ACTORS GUILD WINNERS

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
IDRIS ELBA / DCI John Luther – “LUTHER” (BBC America)
BEN KINGSLEY / Grand Vizier Ay – “TUT” (Spike)
RAY LIOTTA / Lorca/Tom Mitchell – “TEXAS RISING” (History)
BILL MURRAY / Himself – “A VERY MURRAY CHRISTMAS” (Netflix)
MARK RYLANCE / Thomas Cromwell – “WOLF HALL” (Masterpiece/PBS)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
NICOLE KIDMAN / Grace – “GRACE OF MONACO” (Lifetime)
QUEEN LATIFAH / Bessie Smith – “BESSIE” (HBO)
CHRISTINA RICCI / Lizzie Borden – “THE LIZZIE BORDEN CHRONICLES” (Lifetime)
SUSAN SARANDON / Gladys Mortenson – “THE SECRET LIFE OF MARILYN MONROE” (Lifetime)
KRISTEN WIIG / Delores DeWinter – “THE SPOILS BEFORE DYING” (IFC)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
PETER DINKLAGE / Tyrion Lannister – “GAME OF THRONES” (HBO)
JON HAMM / Don Draper – “MAD MEN” (AMC)
RAMI MALEK / Elliot – “MR. ROBOT” (USA Network)
BOB ODENKIRK / Jimmy McGill – “BETTER CALL SAUL” (AMC)
KEVIN SPACEY / Francis Underwood – “HOUSE OF CARDS” (Netflix)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
CLAIRE DANES / Carrie Mathison – “HOMELAND” (Showtime)
VIOLA DAVIS / Annalise Keating – “HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER” (ABC)
JULIANNA MARGULIES / Alicia Florrick – “THE GOOD WIFE” (CBS)
MAGGIE SMITH / Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham – “DOWNTON ABBEY” (Masterpiece/PBS)
ROBIN WRIGHT / Claire Underwood – “HOUSE OF CARDS” (Netflix)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
TY BURRELL / Phil Dunphy – “MODERN FAMILY” (ABC)
LOUIS C.K. / Louie – “LOUIE” (FX Networks)
WILLIAM H. MACY / Frank – “SHAMELESS” (Showtime)
JIM PARSONS / Sheldon Cooper – “THE BIG BANG THEORY” (CBS)
JEFFREY TAMBOR / Maura Pfefferman – “TRANSPARENT” (Amazon)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
UZO ADUBA / Suzanne “Crazy Eyes” Warren – “ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK” (Netflix)
EDIE FALCO / Jackie Peyton – “NURSE JACKIE” (Showtime)
ELLIE KEMPER / Kimmy Schmidt – “UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT” (Netflix)
JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS / President Selina Meyer – “VEEP” (HBO)
AMY POEHLER / Leslie Knope – “PARKS AND RECREATION” (NBC)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
DOWNTON ABBEY (Masterpiece/PBS)
GAME OF THRONES (HBO)
HOMELAND (Showtime)
HOUSE OF CARDS (Netflix)
MAD MEN (AMC)

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
THE BIG BANG THEORY (CBS)
KEY & PEELE (Comedy Central)
MODERN FAMILY (ABC)
ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK (Netflix)
TRANSPARENT (Amazon)
VEEP (HBO)

On 2015年12月14日 at 7:59 PM, Risto said:

For a show that got record number of Emmys, the number of nominations on three other awarding bodies is drastically low. 

:wub:

It will have to wait after I go through this year's lineup: Narcos, Sense8, Mr Robot and Fargo, but I am looking forward to see it.

Thanks... As for being intoxicated, don't worry... Sleepy, on the other hand, has become the way of life.

Well, Homeland is amazing this season. Absolutely wonderful. I can't say how much I love Miranda Otto this season. As for Empire, they really have a bad season this year.

Narcos is fantastic you need to watch it ASAP theres only 10 episodes

Archived