'Wow, that escalated quickly'

When Ladystone heart said that Brienne had to bring Jaime back to her. I also threw my book across the room. It hit the wall hard and laid there for  a week or so before I picked it back up again.

Haha, That is EXACTLY what i did after the red wedding.  Threw the book across the room in to the wall and let it lay there in shame for a week :D

I threw the book against the wall the moment The Hound defeated Beric, probably my favorite character. (And I hated book Hound until I warmed up to Tv Hound).

Smashed the book at The Red Vipers demise.

My jaw dropped to the floor when Stoneheart was revealed.

Didn't know if I was to be happy or sad, the chapter in which Jaime came to his senses with his hand dangling from his neck.

Varys' Aegon speech was also a wtf moment.

Most other shocking moments were either spoiled for me or I got acclimatized to GRRM's writing style.

When Arya went blind - I guess I didn't expect that. And then when she recovered - I kinda didn't expect it from GRRM to be so kind :)

these are the exact two things I was thinking. When I read both of those chapters all of the sudden got all dusty in the room and this clear liquid was leaking from my eyes. My husband thought I was nuts. 

When Robb died. And again when Jon "died". I could see the first one coming sort of and it did seem to fit in and make sense no matter how sad I was about it. When Jon "died" I was more shocked. I thought WTF??? thats f***ing stupid, what was the point of all that story??? It took a long time to dawn on me that he probably wasn't dead.

"Only Cat" took me completely by surprise.

Even after I paused and asked why, it still didn't make sense to me that Petyr Baelish would spare Sansa, who is very certainly a liability, and, in the unlikely event that she ever comes into land or money or armies, his access to those spoils will be dependant either on trading her to someone who could just as easily kill him for sheltering her, or on her husband's judgement of Petyr, rather than on Petyr's judgement for her. Contrast with Lysa, who has given him the Vale, which (it seemed to me) he could hardly hold without her.

The second 'wow' movement was the Shy Maid approaching the Bridge of Dream for the second time. That reminded me strongly of the Farewell to Lorien, in that they were clearly passing through a mote of time, but in spite of using the fog as an obvious build-up (and scene setter - which reminded me of Bleak House), it absolutely surprised me  - the reappearance of the bridge ( I'm trying to think of another instance of magic in ASoIaF that is completely unsummoned, as this appears to be, and off the top of my head, this is the only instance), the attack of the stonemen, even the apparent drowning death of Tyrion kept me in shocked suspense for a few chapters.

Dance with Dragons as a whole did not overly impress me on my first read, but this chapter was a shining exception. 

The whole massacre at Craster's, with the Old Bear getting knifed and all. That's the definition of "That escalated quickly"

This. The aborted attempt during the prologue of Storm gave me a false sense of security when it came to Mormont wrt mutiny. Which is super fucking dumb because I had watched the freaking show...to be fair I didn't pay much attention during season 3. Still saw the Red Wedding coming, not the specifics but I was sure Robb wouldn't make it out of season 3. Cat dying shocked me though and Lady Stoneheart surprised me as well.

When Robb died. And again when Jon "died". I could see the first one coming sort of and it did seem to fit in and make sense no matter how sad I was about it. When Jon "died" I was more shocked. I thought WTF??? thats f***ing stupid, what was the point of all that story??? It took a long time to dawn on me that he probably wasn't dead.

I wasn't shocked that he was stabbed, it was the sequence of events that made me go WTF. Jon just like, completely lost it and told his men he was intent on deserting. Although, I always assumed  he would either be brought back or wasn't full on dead (although that would be super dumb if that was the case because...four stab wounds).

Of course the Jon Arryn murder reveal just blew my mind.

I think that was all that shocked me plot wise.

Lysa's death really shocked me.  I already knew about a lot of the deaths in Storm (thank you Dance blurb for spoiling Joffrey and Tywin) and that sort of came out of nowhere.  Janos Slynt's death was so much shocking as it was pleasing.  It's one of my favourite book moments.

A few have already been mentioned but also Jaime losing his hand. At first I thought they had executed him and I had to reread a few times.

ETA: And I still wasn't much of a Jaime fan at this point but it shocked me a lot as I didn't see it coming.

Yes Jaime losing his hand was a huge shocker...and also Shae in Tywin's bed...I was like WTF!?!

When a POV seems to die, like Bran and Rickon or Arya at the RW, does anyone else flip through the upcoming pages to see if they have another POV? Just to get a little comfort?

I wanted to with Jon's stabbing, but alas, I can't :P

When I first read that I freaked a bit and then realized that a key character can't be offed like that, that this is not a Ned situation. I looked where I could online for answers but there really weren't any I could find at the time. It was only when I did a re-read of the prologue a few weeks later that I could comfort myself :cheers:

For some reason Arya going blind hit harder to me at the time. I think it would be worse to live and be blind, never to actually see your family when you finally return to them, than it would to be Ned-Dead.

Archived