Roberts love of Lyanna, how real was it?

Jon Targaryen.

New to the Forum, I have been reading for years and just now joined. Love this place!!

The one question I have always wondered was about Roberts love. If he was so in love with Lyanna why did he not go to Dorne after her with Ned? And also what about all this whoring around he did during the war. I get it, a lot of people did it during the war. It's just he acts like no one has ever loved anyone as he loved her. 

Many help would be appreciated. 

New to the Forum, I have been reading for years and just now joined. Love this place!!

The one question I have always wondered was about Roberts love. If he was so in love with Lyanna why did he not go to Dorne after her with Ned? And also what about all this whoring around he did during the war. I get it, a lot of people did it during the war. It's just he acts like no one has ever loved anyone as he loved her. 

Many help would be appreciated. 

I don't think he was truly in love with her. From my understanding they didn't have much interaction before the war to actually be in love. I think he went to war over because they were betrothed and he saw her as "his." And after she died he became in love with the thought of her and what could have been. He desired her definitely, but I don't think it was love. And even had she lived and they would've married he wouldn't have been any different.

Robert tells Ned that he "never felt so alive" as when he was fighting for the crown.  So the best time of his life is when he thought the woman he supposedly loved was getting continually raped.  

Dunno about you, but I can't imagine someone who's truly in love feeling great while [they think] the object of their affections is getting raped.  

He's the type who doesn't think sexual fidelity as a part of love, that explains his whoring during the war although that does make him a hypocrite in the eyes of many. I wonder what Ned thinks of this, did he truly want a whoring husband for his only sister ? In Robert's mind Lyanna was raped regularly but he had no problem to got his jolly way and produced several children in process

And later during his marriage with Cersei he pretty much just created a ghost who agreed with everything he's doing and named it Lyanna Stark. I wonder what his reaction would be if he ever found out that she ran away and eloped with her own will

Since we never have a Robert POV we will probably never know.  However it seems clear from the other characters that he loved the idea of her rather than Lyanna herself. Since he really didn't know her too well.  Then his idealized woman was taken away before they truly knew each other. Thus leaving Robert to love a shadow, a perfect woman in his own mind that no actual woman could compare to. Just my 2 coppers.

You cannot love a person you don't know. It's like me saying that I am in love of Gary Oldman*. I obviously don't mean a real love, only a love for his work and the public person he is. Robert loved the "Lyanna" he believed Lyanna was, not the real person. He never got to meet the real one and we can't know what would have happened after they had gotten married and lived together.

*I'm kidding, I'm obviously in love with him, he loves me and we're gonna marry soon.

Ok I get the whoring around everyone did it, but you would think his pride would have took him to find her after KL fell.  

Also he was injured after the Trident but he recovered enough strength to fight Jon Connington at the battle of the bells in the step stones. 

whoa whoa, I think you might be confused. The battle of the bells was fought at Stoney sept, in the riverlands, I'm pretty sure there weren't any battles in the stepstones during RR. And the battle of the bells was before the Trident. 

whoa whoa, I think you might be confused. The battle of the bells was fought at Stoney sept, in the riverlands, I'm pretty sure there weren't any battles in the stepstones during RR. And the battle of the bells was before the Trident. 

He was recovering from injuries in the Stoney Sept. He was recovering in every whore's bed :lol:

While I wouldn't call it love, I do think he cared about Lyanna and her well-being. 

After she died, Robert gave up on life and started indulging in whatever vices were on-hand to distract him while he waited for death. To me, that looks a lot like clinical depression; granted Robert had problems before he lost Lyanna (he watched both his parents die in front of him, he had to endure the horrors of war [doubtlessly losing friends and acquaintances in combat], and he was isolated away from his siblings) but I can see how her death could be the final snapping point for him.

We can't definitively say what a marriage between Robert and Lyanna would have looked like. If she did indeed elope as many claim she did (I'm still not convinced), then frankly Robert is too good for the selfish traitor. If Lyanna was kidnapped and brutalized by Rhaegar, then she and Robert might be able to bond over their mutual sufferings. 

We can't definitively say what a marriage between Robert and Lyanna would have looked like. If she did indeed elope as many claim she did (I'm still not convinced), then frankly Robert is too good for the selfish traitor.

If they eloped then he's just another victim of Westeros worst lust love story, i can easily see him hating her if he ever found out about the truth

What I find strange is that in spite of apparently being madly in love with Lyanna, Robert never as far as we know screw anybody that resembles her. Now I know he whispered Lyanna's name on his wedding night with Cersei yet strangely enough most of the mistresses or whores he's impregnated had blonde hair or something close to it (like Barra's mother). Even Jorah had a fetish for prostitutes that resembled Dany as a proxy for fucking Dany. Yet Robert didn't seem to ever try to recreate what could have been with Lyanna by fucking girls that specifically looked like her, even though after fifteen years he still seemed pretty sour about not ending up with her.

What I find strange is that in spite of apparently being madly in love with Lyanna, Robert never as far as we know screw anybody that resembles her. Now I know he whispered Lyanna's name on his wedding night with Cersei yet strangely enough most of the mistresses or whores he's impregnated had blonde hair or something close to it (like Barra's mother). Even Jorah had a fetish for prostitutes that resembled Dany as a proxy for fucking Dany. Yet Robert didn't seem to ever try to recreate what could have been with Lyanna by fucking girls that specifically looked like her, even though after fifteen years he still seemed pretty sour about not ending up with her.

While I'm glad he never did that (because that's F creepy!), I guess this is rooted on Robert not seeing her as a sexual being and a more idealized notion of a maiden and that's not healthy either. By doing that, he would have to acknowledge that Lyanna was a human being whose desires targeted another guy she probably went willingly with, and he can't afford to think that.

While I'm glad he never did that (because that's F creepy!), I guess this is rooted on Robert not seeing her as a sexual being and a more idealized notion of a maiden and that's not healthy either. By doing that, he would have to acknowledge that Lyanna was a human being whose desires targeted another guy she probably went willingly with, and he can't afford to think that.

Well apparently one of the reasons Renly and Loras thought they could succeed in getting Margaery to seduce Robert and replace Cersei as the queen was the fact that she looks a lot like Lyanna. I just thought that if they knew how much Robert was still butt hurt about not being with his one true love, then surely there must have been mistresses that resembled Lyanna in some way, shape or form.

If they eloped then he's just another victim of Westeros worst lust love story, i can easily see him hating her if he ever found out about the truth

Something he has in common with every casualty of Robert's Rebellion, including Lyanna's own father and brother as well as Rhaegar's wife and children.

By comparison, Romeo and Juliet's impulsive hook-up only killed seven people.

Archived