Why would Tywin attack Moat Cailin?

Dr Qyburn M.D

In AGOT Catelyn XI when Catelyn explains that the Freys have never failed to extract their toll in the 600 years and that they have controlled the crossing. What this toll will be, they have yet to learn but if Robb is unwilling to pay the toll, the only option Catelyn can see is to retreat to Moat Cailin to meet Lord Tywin in battle.

So my question is would Tywin really attack Moat Cailin if Robb had his army there? He wouldn't stand a chance would he? 

He'd only attack Moat Cailin if he suffered some sort of mental lapse. Otherwise he'd focus on his other enemies, the Riverlords and the Baratheons, leaving Robb to watch from behind the neck as his allies and potential allies fall one at a time until Tywin can turn his eyes north. I would presume Robb would also face the disgust of his own bannermen in this process. The only benefit being is that Balon may not attack since Robb's army is close enough to respond to any attacks in the North.

Tywin would actually likely be smart enough to offer Robb favorable terms if he bent the knee though that would be hard not to accept. He was the one who said, "When your enemies defy you, you must serve them steel and fire. When they go to their knees, however, you must help them back to their feet. Elsewise no man will ever bend the knee to you." A protracted war in the North wouldn't benefit anyone.

Of course Tywin wouldn't stand a chance going against Moat Cailin. Tywin also couldn't fight in the North.  

Nor would Robb or his army need to sit on Moat Cailin to defend the North against Tywin if I remember correctly all that's needed to defend the Neck is like 200 bowmen. 

11 hours ago, Dr Qyburn M.D said:

In AGOT Catelyn XI when Catelyn explains that the Freys have never failed to extract their toll in the 600 years and that they have controlled the crossing. What this toll will be, they have yet to learn but if Robb is unwilling to pay the toll, the only option Catelyn can see is to retreat to Moat Cailin to meet Lord Tywin in battle.

So my question is would Tywin really attack Moat Cailin if Robb had his army there? He wouldn't stand a chance would he?

That's not quite what she says: "Then you had best retreat back to Moat Cailin, deploy to meet Lord Tywin in battle … or grow wings. I see no other choices." As I read it, it's three options: one, pull back to Moat Cailin, two, prepare to fight Lord Tywin on Lord Tywin's terms, and three, grow wings. Crossing the river at the Twins would open another choice, meet Jaime in battle and relieve Riverrun.

On 1/22/2016 at 11:08 PM, Dr Qyburn M.D said:

Tywin isn't stupid enough to attack the Moat. He would continue to pillage the Riverlands till Robb marched.

This was before most of the royal fleet fell into Stannis's hands so I suppose if he was going to attack Moat Cailin he could use the ships from the royal fleet to go around it and hit it from the other side where its most vulnerable like the Iron Born did.

Archived