Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

Just now, HairGrowsBack said:

But how can she be a cliched American teenage girl if she assimilates in another culture ? To be fair, it's not as if Myrcella in the books was a girl "wise beyond her years", caring and dignified.

Damn, I'm on an AFFC re-read and I'm hurting, every day.

Ah well, that brings us back to the old rant of why did they bother recasting her for those few shakily acted scenes delivered in a prom dress.  

I mean, I guess if put to the question, the prom dress is still better than the clownish Dorne costumes, but in the context of the story...it's totally out of place.  Like, she might almost as well have whipped out her phone for a selfie with her uncle/father.

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

You might have thought, what with Show Myrcella identifying with Dorne, she would have been wearing a Dornish outfit, or even something sorta kinda Dornish.  But she wasn't.  And she wasn't wearing anything really similar to what we've seen people wearing in King's Landing

Indeed.  She time warped and got someone's pink Cinderella prom dress.  Because why not?  

In the final scene, Nym appears to have stolen some of Myrcella's clothes because she, too, has a puffy pink prom dress. I think that was supposed to be the official way Dornish women dress? Except Obara, because she's a Warrior! which meant she needed to wear one of the bathrobes of sex appeal. But to fem it up they gave her a bikini to wear underneath: 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/db/14/64/db1464674f8325a4e3b6ae6c5cf3f8c9.jpg

Using Occam's razor, Myrcella was recast because Little Tiger Girl has a more "conventionally" pretty face than Aimee. It was never about acting or anything.

zmJS5cE.jpg

Which is stupid bc Aimee actually looks like she could be Lena's daughter for real.

Now, me, and many others here, think Aimee is very very pretty. She def. is. But we know GoT wants a certain kind of "pretty". If we compare Free Tiger Nell with other young starlets of her age, she look as generic and average looking as they do :dunno:

12 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

But how can she be a cliched American teenage girl if she assimilates in another culture ? To be fair, it's not as if Myrcella in the books was a girl "wise beyond her years", caring and dignified.

Damn, I'm on an AFFC re-read and I'm hurting, every day.

Myrcella in the books is amazing. She is one of my favorite Lannisters ... that is probably why they killed her off. 

Heaven forbid we should have an actor playing Myrcella who says good things like this:

I don’t still watch it sorry! I don’t want to seem like I’m just slating Game of Thrones because they recast me so I haven’t actually said anything about the Sansa rape scene yet, I’ve been avoiding the topic, but since you ask…
Are we really going to say that what is widely considered to be the best TV series ever made can’t do any better than graphic rape scenes?!?!?! Are you kidding me?!?! BRO!!! I know a lot of criticism for this series has been how little they’ve stuck to the books, which I have no strong feelings on as I’ve never read them and it is only an adaptation of them so they technically do have the right to change it, although I do get fans’ frustration about it! So some people defending this scene have been saying “well it was in the book so at least they kept it”/“blame the books” etc, but of all the storylines to keep, after completely cutting storylines like Arienne Martell and Lady Stoneheart, which featured badass strong women, they decide the storyline they will keep is one of rape? Taking Sansa (who Sophie is so incredible at playing) from the huge high she was on at the end of s4, when she finally came into her own and stuck a metaphorical middle finger up at the Lannisters etc, and throwing this at her just as she seemed to be finding some power and getting some control over her life?!?!?!
I’m absolutely not slating the show on a whole here, and as I said I’ve been trying not to get involved because I don’t want to just slag off the show that pretty much fired me, but the unnecessary rape scenes have made me angry, I’m not going to hide it

http://justabigcliche.tumblr.com/post/120027649677/whats-your-opinion-on-game-of-thrones-constant

Aimee is Myrcella to me, always will be... (Sorry to the new kid, but she nailed it.)

3 minutes ago, Chebyshov said:

In the final scene, Nym appears to have stolen some of Myrcella's clothes because she, too, has a puffy pink prom dress. I think that was supposed to be the official way Dornish women dress? Except Obara, because she's a Warrior! which meant she needed to wear one of the bathrobes of sex appeal. But to fem it up they gave her a bikini to wear underneath: 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/db/14/64/db1464674f8325a4e3b6ae6c5cf3f8c9.jpg

LOL.  Wouldn't the thing to have done was have their clothing resemble Ellaria's outfit(s)? from season 4?  So, if a person were so inclined, they could see that they're all from the same place based on that their clothing is different from that of KL or the North, but is similar to everyone else who lives in Dorne?

17 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

You might have thought, what with Show Myrcella identifying with Dorne, she would have been wearing a Dornish outfit, or even something sorta kinda Dornish.  But she wasn't.  And she wasn't wearing anything really similar to what we've seen people wearing in King's Landing

Indeed.  She time warped and got someone's pink Cinderella prom dress.  Because why not?  

She does dress Dornish:

Elllaria-and-the-Sand-Snakes-Official-HB

Now, why Dornish people dress like that... mystery :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Heaven forbid we should have an actor playing Myrcella who says good things like this:

http://justabigcliche.tumblr.com/post/120027649677/whats-your-opinion-on-game-of-thrones-constant

Aimee is Myrcella to me, always will be... (Sorry to the new kid, but she nailed it.)

Yea, Aimee Richardson is great, as is book!Myrcella. Shame they didn't keep either.  

4 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

She does dress Dornish:

Now, why Dornish people dress like that... mystery :dunno:

I think we missed an installment of, Outside the Episode: The Costume Edition, where she explains that they are actually secretly jealous of Myrcella and her Barbie ways.

(So they nabbed them some prom dresses from Scotty's alien costume transporter, too.)

So, it starts to look like the Dornish costumes are totally inconsistent, even with each other.  Ellaria's outfit in season 4 is not very similar to what she wears in season 5, the sand snakes outfits when not in their Zena outfits, is a little different, and Myrcella's outfit is again, still different.  Their dresses are not as full and the fabric is sheer.  Myrcella's is literally a ball gown.

Not that I would expect anything less than utter randomness and inconsistency from GOT costume department as the only thing they are able to do consistently is dress men in drab browns.

4 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Are those two kids not adorable? (And Cersei really deserves here a bitch slap) ... I think I even miss Cersei. 

They were great. So great they're the only ones for which I keep the image when reading the books. 

Blackwater was a great episode, kudos to the writer, he really did get the spirit of the books (wink wink)

25 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Are those two kids not adorable? (And Cersei really deserves here a bitch slap) ... I think I even miss Cersei. 

Yes, they are adorable, but it brings back bad memories... Cersei calling Sansa "little dove" was such a cheap shot at Sansa and Sandor, as if they hadn't already taken enough of those. HE is the only one who gave her a pet name, and it was something special between them, damn it. All Cersei ever called Sansa was dumb bitch. What is wrong with them? They had him call her little bird FOUR TIMES, but just thought, hey, let's just undo all of that, and have the one who HATES HER call her something just like the one who LOVES HER calls her! Brilliant!

(And then the costume designer sews little birds into each and every one of CERSEI'S costumes...)

Yeah, but they always give the good lines to their favorites.  They're consistent on at least this.  

They gave the line about all liars here better than you to LF, and the story of Lyanna and Rhaegar.....  Ramsay gets feast of crows and the North remembers.  I'm sure there are a gazillion other examples.

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

Yes, they are adorable, but it brings back bad memories... Cersei calling Sansa "little dove" was such a cheap shot at Sansa and Sandor, as if they hadn't already taken enough of those. HE is the only one who gave her a pet name, and it was something special between them, damn it. All Cersei ever called Sansa was dumb bitch. What is wrong with them? They had him call her little bird FOUR TIMES, but just thought, hey, let's just undo all of that, and have the one who HATES HER call her something just like the one who LOVES HER calls her! Brilliant!

Oops, I actually did not know she does that only in the show. 

They really like to emphasize the bird theme with: little dove, feathers, feathers, feathers, ... 

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, but they always give the good lines to their favorites.  They're consistent on at least this.  

They gave the line about all liars here better than you to LF, and the story of Lyanna and Rhaegar.....  Ramsay gets feast of crows and the North remembers.  I'm sure there are a gazillion other examples.

Yes, and he also told her Sandor's story.

And that made so much sense for Littlefinger, the guy who is lying to her, to warn her about liars. Just like it made so much sense for Sandor to warn Arya about knights like his brother AFTER SHE WATCHED HIM TORTURE PEOPLE IN HARRENHAL.

33 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Oops, I actually did not know she does that only in the show. 

They really like to emphasize the bird theme with: little dove, feathers, feathers, feathers, ... 

Well, he called her little bird four times on the show. So I would imagine that might matter, too.

(Also he's the only one in the story (other than herself) to talk about her in terms of flight.)

Archived