U.S. Election - Onward to New Hampshire

TerraPrime

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

This shit is really getting insane. 

On the contrary, it's a rare instance of the common people coming to a sensible position that is strongly opposed by nearly all of the elites. It is unfortunate that the price for it must be paid in blood -- another incident like the one in San Bernadino and I suspect even the Democrats will start coming around.

On the bright side, the votes appear to be moving in the right direction: with 37% counted, Clinton has 39.7% and Sanders has 58.5% (earlier, Clinton had more than 40%).

1 minute ago, Altherion said:

On the contrary, it's a rare instance of the common people coming to a sensible position that is strongly opposed by nearly all of the elites. It is unfortunate that the price for it must be paid in blood -- another incident like the one in San Bernadino and I suspect even the Democrats will start coming around.

On the bright side, the votes appear to be moving in the right direction: with 37% counted, Clinton has 39.7% and Sanders has 58.5% (earlier, Clinton had more than 40%).

It's not so much coming around as going back. Enforced bigotry has had a lot of play in history, but we've been mostly moving away f of it, or at least pretending to. 

This is is not new, it's just a replay of crazy old.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Shryke,

If Trump wins I will spend the next 4 years reminding you how stratieguc voting backfired.

Who's strategic voting here? If Trump wins the primary it'll be in part because of the opposite of that.

And if he wins in November, it will be because he's a Republican and not enough Democrats showed up to the polls.

At least it'll be an entertaining 4 years though.

2 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Indeed. I personally believe that Donald Trump is one major terrorist attack in the West away from solidifying his status of becoming President. 

3 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Yes. you just keep hoping for other people to support your bigotry. I'm sure it'll happen any day now.

8 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Who's strategic voting here? If Trump wins the primary it'll be in part because of the opposite of that.

And if he wins in November, it will be because he's a Republican and not enough Democrats showed up to the polls.

At least it'll be an entertaining 4 years though.

Dubya is an object lesson in how comically bad doesn't preclude horrifically bad.

I get the thinking....we had Rob Ford, and in truth he was entertaining. But if he'd had actual power over decisions like war and immigration, I don't think there's enough laughter in the world to drown out all the screams of horror it'd produce.

Kalbear; tried to quote you for a while but it refuses to let me, so forgive this format. But on your 'only different on one war; not that big of a difference' comment, I hope you understand how awful that reads from the outside. I know that in Ametica war is a constant, not to mention an economic necessity, but if it gets to the point of hand waving entire wars and thinking that wanting more evidence before killing thousands of people in a foreign land isn't at all a moral decision, I am truly saddened.

11 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Dubya is an object lesson in how comically bad doesn't preclude horrifically bad.

Yeah but y'all are forgetting that any of the GOP candidates would be horrifically bad. So the only choice on that side is how entertaining they will be while they are that bad. And Trump is by far the most entertaining one. He'd surprise us!

You guys reelected GWB. All bets are off. If you're gonna burn this mother down, I demand to be entertained while it happens.

2 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Yeah but y'all are forgetting that any of the GOP candidates would be horrifically bad. So the only choice on that side is how entertaining they will be while they are that bad. And Trump is by far the most entertaining one. He'd surprise us!

You guys reelected GWB. All bets are off. If you're gonna burn this mother down, I demand to be entertained while it happens.

Remove "GOP" from your post and I agree. 

Douche vs. Turd  --- hmm, why not Trump?

2 minutes ago, A Prince of Dorne said:

Remove "GOP" from your post and I agree. 

Douche vs. Turd  --- hmm, why not Trump?

Both the Democratic Party candidates are good.

And Douche vs Turd is a childish and silly opinion by people who don't think too hard considering what the results of the election that analogy was talking about ended up being. 

10 minutes ago, Shryke said:

This is exactly the thinking that got GWB in the WH in the first place. 1 part 'they all suck', one part 'he'd be fun to beer with/good for a laugh' and one part (somehow) 'screw the establishment'.

To paraphrase WS, tens of thousands more did weep than ever did laugh at it.

Sometimes the most important choices ARE choosing the lesser of evils.

This shit is really getting insane. 

The thing about San Bernardino is that, true, a few crazy Muslim assholes killed a bunch of people, but in context, it doesn't really indict Muslims. Every few months some crazy white (mostly) asshole kills a bunch of people. It could just be a problem with this country rather than with Muslims.

7 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

This is exactly the thinking that got GWB in the WH in the first place. 1 part 'they all suck', one part 'he'd be fun to beer with/good for a laugh' and one part (somehow) 'screw the establishment'.

To paraphrase WS, tens of thousands more did weep than ever did laugh at it.

Sometimes the most important choices ARE choosing the lesser of evils.

No, it's not.

That would be the "It doesn't matter if the Dems or the GOP wins" which is not what I said.

What I said is "All the GOP candidates are shit. So if one of them wins, better Trump then the others."

The last 15 years have seen us relitigate issues I really thought were settled questions: torture, registration of minorities, Japanese internment camps, and so on. I am genuinely afraid of what closed doors we might reopen in the future.

1 minute ago, Inigima said:

The last 15 years have seen us relitigate issues I really thought were settled questions: torture, registration of minorities, Japanese internment camps, and so on. I am genuinely afraid of what closed doors we might reopen in the future.

And there's even more recent history to un-learn from. Although many try to revise the facts to excuse the decision in retrospect, almost no one now disagrees that invading Iraq was the wrong choice, and has led to disaster. And almost everyone contextualizes it as a 9-11 hangover.

And yet we see people gleeful at the prospect of another decision made in the wake of some other tragedy. It's like we know we make terrible life choices when we're drunk, we look back and say 'yeah, bad decision, but I WAS drunk at the time' and happily plan the next bender.

When he said I'll build a wall to keep all those drug muling Mexican rapists out, I thought, yeah, whatever, that's all talk.

When he said I'll ban all Muslims from being able to enter the USA, I thought totally impossible to implement, so it's just bluster with no actual intent.

When he said I condone torture, I worried that this is something he actually can bring into force. But is his position different from other Republican candidates, or is he just less silent / inclined to euphemism about it?

50 minutes ago, Altherion said:

But is it sensible? Lets take a look at the four most common denominations of Islam. Sunni, Twelver Shia, Ismaili and Ibadi. All of these have millions of believers, though Sunni and Twelver Shia are much larger, but only one has a problem with terrorism. Now I don't believe in  creating religious tests to come to our country, but if this truly was based on "sense" rather then blind fear you would think it would distinguish between radical Wahhabis and communities like the Ismailis which as far as I'm aware have never had an incident of religious violence. So when you ignore things like that,together with the kinds of people who go to his rallies. It's pretty clear this policy  is based on blind fear rather than "sense."

Archived