Which married couple is most in love?

Tom Sevenstreams

3 hours ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Not that there is  shred of evidence that Joanna loved Aerys, but are you really saying that you can only love one person in your whole life?  Seems an odd thing to say. It is possible that she loved the two of them at different times or maybe she loved the neither of them, but saying she loved Aerys once does not mean she can not have loved Tywin.

As it goes, I think the Tywin-Joanna love is overplayed thanks in part to a decent Tumblr writer (the irony). I think, like Ned and Cat, it was a political match with two people who completely accepted the rules their society lived in and made it work.

Tywin had a love match. Not a political one. He married Joanna because he loved her. 

But work book told us the rumor that Joanna gave maidenhead to aerys at the night of jaehaerys's cronation and enjoyed to be his paramour for a while. Keep in mind, this is a book devoted to lannister and baratheon. If yandel and Pycelle wrote this, then it is a pretty much public truth. 

But Tywin loved Joanna so he married her any way. Like how robert is willing to marry lyanna if she survived even she eloped and had a child with rhaegar. 

14 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

Rhaegar abandoned everything (wife, children, throne, kingdom) for lyanna and in the end died for lyanna and lyanna held his gift at death and did not tell anything to his family about her eloping and hiding for one year. I bet their love is quite overwhelming. 

Not like Ned and Cat. One married for the army of tully and one married due to the death of the betroth. 

Or he simply needed a woman to birth the Third Head of the Dragon. Since we don't have a POV for Rhaegar or Lyanna and there are no current POV characters who were present at the Tower of Joy or in some other position to know, there are multiple interpretations for Rhaegar's behavior. Furthermore, it's rather disingenuous to promote them as the great love story when there's so much we don't know about the circumstances of their union. 

I'd argue that the circumstances of Ned and Cat's union and their subsequent love for each other actually makes them the greater love story in ASOIAF.

Just now, purple-eyes said:

Tywin had a love match. Not a political one. He married Joanna because he loved her. 

That has never actually been said and GRRM has pretty heavily implied that it was a political match.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

GRRM talks about the possibility of it being a need to reinforce the family line as too many heirs is sometimes just as dangerous as not enough.

Maybe it was Lord Tytos' idea, or maybe even Tywin's grandfather's idea, it depends on which was the exact time in which the marriage alliance was brokered, but I would have to check my notes because I can't remember.

Which makes sense as Gerold was aware of how poor a ruler Tytos was going to be given how poorly Tytos was dealing with the whole Reign of Reynes fiasco.

The loss of the second of his "glorious twins" might well have been expected to break their grieving father, Lord Gerold. But curiously, the opposite seemed to be the case. As Ser Tion's body was laid to rest within Casterly Rock, Gerold the Golden roused himself and took firm hold of the westerlands once more, intent on doing all he could to prepare his thirdborn son, the weak-willed and unpromising boy Tytos, to succeed him.

While he would have been aware of his youngest son's personality as we are told:

The growing disrespect shown to House Lannister soon became a constant source of conflict between Lord Tytos and his brother Jason, nine years the younger.  A fierce child, he grew into a prideful, quarrelsome youth with a fiery temper.  Though often openly scornful of his elder brother himself, he was quick to take umbrage when others disparaged Lord Tytos

To prevent a possibility that brother would turn on brother it is likely that Gerold, before he died, made them promise to forge a marriage alliance in the future, or it is possible that the brothers themselves came to the agreement to keep the peace.

There marriage would have been a loving one like Ned and Cat's but it would have been a political alliance, like the majority of Westeros noble weddings.

-Ned and Cat eventually grew fond of each other.

-It was the same with Dany and Drogo. (But to a lesser extent, i'd say.)

-Apparently, Tywin loved Joanna, but we don't know how did Joanna felt about her marriage to him, IIRC.  So, i don't think they count as a couple in actual love.

-Robb and Jeyne were in love.

-Edmure and Roslin were too, it seems.

That's all i can think of right now.

1 hour ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

That has never actually been said and GRRM has pretty heavily implied that it was a political match.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Asshai.com_Interview_in_Barcelona/

GRRM talks about the possibility of it being a need to reinforce the family line as too many heirs is sometimes just as dangerous as not enough.

Maybe it was Lord Tytos' idea, or maybe even Tywin's grandfather's idea, it depends on which was the exact time in which the marriage alliance was brokered, but I would have to check my notes because I can't remember.

Which makes sense as Gerold was aware of how poor a ruler Tytos was going to be given how poorly Tytos was dealing with the whole Reign of Reynes fiasco.

The loss of the second of his "glorious twins" might well have been expected to break their grieving father, Lord Gerold. But curiously, the opposite seemed to be the case. As Ser Tion's body was laid to rest within Casterly Rock, Gerold the Golden roused himself and took firm hold of the westerlands once more, intent on doing all he could to prepare his thirdborn son, the weak-willed and unpromising boy Tytos, to succeed him.

While he would have been aware of his youngest son's personality as we are told:

The growing disrespect shown to House Lannister soon became a constant source of conflict between Lord Tytos and his brother Jason, nine years the younger.  A fierce child, he grew into a prideful, quarrelsome youth with a fiery temper.  Though often openly scornful of his elder brother himself, he was quick to take umbrage when others disparaged Lord Tytos

To prevent a possibility that brother would turn on brother it is likely that Gerold, before he died, made them promise to forge a marriage alliance in the future, or it is possible that the brothers themselves came to the agreement to keep the peace.

There marriage would have been a loving one like Ned and Cat's but it would have been a political alliance, like the majority of Westeros noble weddings.

From the book it looks like Tywin loved Joanna. Also grrm in this same interview also said: it could be love, just with another clear motive to reduce the conflicts. This means it has two motives, love and politics. Plus app said their marriage is love match. 

Honestly, except extreme cases, arranged marriage does consider people's feelings. You see Jaime was sent to stay with lysa, trystane also stayed well with myrcella. Elia also can meet suitors and half in love with baelor. Etc. I think arranged marriage can last so many years, it can not be just totally evil and anti human. It works for many people. 

So I feel for tywin's marriage, love is there, just with some more practical things. Not pure passion like rhaegar and lyanna, or Renly and Loras. But there is love of Tywin in Joanna. Joanna, I am not sure. 

4 hours ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Not that there is  shred of evidence that Joanna loved Aerys, but are you really saying that you can only love one person in your whole life?  Seems an odd thing to say. It is possible that she loved the two of them at different times or maybe she loved the neither of them, but saying she loved Aerys once does not mean she can not have loved Tywin.

As it goes, I think the Tywin-Joanna love is overplayed thanks in part to a decent Tumblr writer (the irony). I think, like Ned and Cat, it was a political match with two people who completely accepted the rules their society lived in and made it work.

I know people can love more people during life.

That is why I said in the book. In the literature, in order to be simpler and more dramatic, one person usually only had one true love. You know, like Robert, Or LF, or barristan, or aegon, etc. 

to make one person genuinely love two people, you have to write a lot to show the change, like Jaime's case. 

5 hours ago, Tijgy said:

I don't know... "Her loins still ached from the urgency of his lovemaking. It was a good ache. She could feel his seed within her."; "The thought of Cat was as painful as a bed of nettles. He wondered where she was, what she was doing. He wondered whether he would ever see her again." "The thought of Winterfell brought a wan smile to his face. He wanted to hear Bran's laughter once more, to go hawking with Robb, to watch Rickon at play. He wanted to drift off to a dreamless sleep in his own bed with his arms wrapped tight around his lady, Catelyn." ""He yearned for the comfort of Catelyn's arms, for the sounds of Robb and Jon crossing swords in the practice yard, for the cool days and cold nights of the north."

And they call each other My love

:crying::crying:

Sob. This. Ned and Cat.

Honorable mention to Oberyn and Ellaria and Dany and Drogo. I'd include Loras and Renly, but all I know is Loras loved Renly. Renly's feelings for Loras are unknown. I'd include Tywin and Joanna, too, but we never see them together.

The Tywin/Joanna answers will seem amusing in the future. Banking on the gentle sincerity of a Lannister woman, one who fucked the king so much the queen had her sent home and taught her daughter tears are a woman's weapon, because of some throw away line by Ser Kevan (the only indication of Joanna's feelings towards Tywin), we'll see how well that turns out.

18 minutes ago, kimim said:

Sob. This. Ned and Cat.

Honorable mention to Oberyn and Ellaria and Dany and Drogo. I'd include Loras and Renly, but all I know is Loras loved Renly. Renly's feelings for Loras are unknown. I'd include Tywin and Joanna, too, but we never see them together.

I thought Renly loved him too. 

Something like "buried him in a place only two of them have been to". "Renly talked more with Loras than his new wife Margarey" . 

Loras and Renly
Loras seems to be utterly devoted to renly and to his memory, the man gone CELIBATE and seems to be quite depressed for a long spam of time
Not blamming dany, she is a teenage girl full of hormones and no amount of love for a dead husband will keep her from the bed of other men. but the way loras simply put the world aside since Renly is dead tells a lot

and i hate the show for killing loras as a character, being simply the ~gay guy~

and i find quite fitting of George trope killing habit, to make a homosexual relationship the "true" real fairy tale love story

“When the sun has set no candle can replace it”

7 minutes ago, BlueNightzx said:

Loras and Renly
Loras seems to be utterly devoted to renly and to his memory, the man gone CELIBATE and seems to be quite depressed for a long spam of time
Not blamming dany, she is a teenage girl full of hormones and no amount of love for a dead husband will keep her from the bed of other men. but the way loras simply put the world aside since Renly is dead tells a lot

and i hate the show for killing loras as a character, being simply the ~gay guy~

and i find quite fitting of George trope killing habit, to make a homosexual relationship the "true" real fairy tale love story

Yeah, actually we can see the love of Loras and love of joncon, both are very devoted and selfless and long-lasting. I would say their love is very strong and pure compared to most of the love stories between men and women. 

But grrm just did not want them to have happy ending. :)

16 minutes ago, BlueNightzx said:

Loras and Renly

:crying:

33 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

The Tywin/Joanna answers will seem amusing in the future. Banking on the gentle sincerity of a Lannister woman, one who fucked the king so much the queen had her sent home and taught her daughter tears are a woman's weapon, because of some throw away line by Ser Kevan (the only indication of Joanna's feelings towards Tywin), we'll see how well that turns out.

Grrm remained very vague on Joanna's feeling over Tywin and aerys. This is intentional. He could just say Joanna loved Tywin and aerys was a crazy guy drooling over another man's wife. But he did not. In stead, he put some rumors there.

There is a chance that we will see Joanna and aerys loved each other at least during youth, which would make Tywin even more bitter. Like rhaegar/lyanna/robert triangle. If Joanna only loved Tywin, I do not think Tywin would be so mad at aerys on this. 

37 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

I thought Renly loved him too. 

Something like "buried him in a place only two of them have been to". "Renly talked more with Loras than his new wife Margarey" . 

:'(  I'm a sucker for tragic love stories. They're definitely up there.

its said that in his early days as a king, aerys had very much potential, he was handsome and smart, its not hard for basically any woman in the court to lust/desire this young handsome king

but personally i don't think joanna loved aerys, i don't think Tywin would accept being the second in anything, if that was the case, he would just marry another woman from some powerfull house.

5 minutes ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

When is Tywin mentioned at being mad over this?

He was angry that aerys did something indecent during the bedding. He tried to resign after a drunk aerys commented on her breasts. He was angry when aerys commented on her death too. Something like "a fair flower" stuff. 

I would say Tywin is very sensitive on aerys/Joanna relationship. 

Archived