Puns and Wordplay

Seams

Will saw movement from the corner of his eye. Pale shapes gliding through the wood. He turned his head, glimpsed a white shadow in the darkness. (Prologue, AGOT)

A new bit of wordplay that I discovered today…The “pale shapes” that Will sees when the Other first dawns the pages of our series are “twins to the first”.

They emerged silently from the shadows, twins to the first. Three of them … four … five …(Prologue, AGOT)

The first” refers to ”a white shadow in the darkness” that Will glimpses in the first quote.

This association of the “pale shapes” and “a white shadow” allows literary analysts to exchange the two descriptions. It allows “a white shadow in the darkness” to be a “pale shape” in the darkness.

Now here comes the wordplay, “pale” is a homophone for the word pail, a bucket. The play here is that a pail shape is round.

So Waymar is looking at a figuratively, white round shape emerging from the dark of the wood.

Symbolically (literarily), we are seeing the Yin half of the taijitu symbol. A white dot superimposed on black.

Proof of this comes when we look at the Yang half in our narrative.

Seeing Waymar from the perspective of the Other because of its’ armor, we are seeing Waymar standing in front of a ridge of new-fallen snow in the all black wardrobe of the Night’s Watchmen. He’s turning in a slow circle with his black steel sword in hand.

A black circle superimposed on white.

Its armor seemed to change color as it moved; here it was white as new-fallen snow, there black as shadow, everywhere dappled with the deep grey-green of the trees. The patterns ran like moonlight on water with every step it took.(Prologue, AGOT)

“Will, where are you?” Ser Waymar called up. “Can you see anything?” He was turning in a slow circle, suddenly wary, his sword in hand. He must have felt them, as Will felt them. There was nothing to see. “Answer me! Why is it so cold?”

“Aye, those three I recall. The lordling no older than one of these pups. Too proud to sleep under my roof, him in his sable cloak and black steel. My wives give him big cow eyes all the same.” He turned his squint on the nearest of the women. “Gared says they were chasing raiders. I told him, with a commander that green, best not catch ’em. Gared wasn’t half-bad, for a crow. Had less ears than me, that one. The ’bite took ’em, same as mine.” Craster laughed. “Now I hear he got no head neither. The ’bite do that too?”(Jon, chapter 23, ACOK)

The sinuous line in the taijitu symbol   likely represents the “Dance” we are about to see.

This obviously reveals an underlying theme that persists throughout the series but that’s beyond the scope of this post.

Edited by Nadden

• 2 weeks later...

Pillows and Kisses

Daenerys smothers Drogo with a pillow / cushion after kissing him on the lips and after covering him with kisses as part of the love play (pillow play) she engages in during her attempt to revive him.

She raked him with her nails and covered him with kisses and whispered and prayed and told him stories, and by the end she had bathed him with her tears. Yet Drogo did not feel, or speak, or rise.

---

She knelt, kissed Drogo on the lips, and pressed the cushion down across his face.

I think there could be a relationship between pillows and kisses. “Kissen” in German means “pillow or cushion – the two words are not really distinguished.” Also, there’s the expression “to smother with kisses.” Daenerys smothered Drogo with a “kissen,” ending his life with a pillow, a “kiss,” after failing to revitalize him by covering him in true kisses.

This might help explain the meaning of the Lonmouth sigil – the “skulls and kisses.”

Pillows are mentioned very frequently in the books. Perhaps particular “pillows” such as “pillow play” or “pillow houses” are worth looking at.

In this context, smothering might also relate to Sansa’s “unkiss:” This is when the Hound enters her chamber:

Sansa opened her mouth to scream, but another hand clamped down over her face, smothering her. His fingers were rough and callused, and sticky with blood. “Little bird. I knew you’d come.”

Is this what Sansa remembers as a kiss?

Smother and mother

Perhaps there is also wordplay here. When Davos smuggles Melisandre into the cave beneath Storm’s End, she takes off her “smothering robe” just before becoming mother to a shadow:

Melisandre had thrown back her cowl and shrugged out of the smothering robe. Beneath, she was naked, and huge with child. Swollen breasts hung heavy against her chest, and her belly bulged as if near to bursting.

Cersei think Catelyn should have smothered Jon Snow in his cradle:

Catelyn Tully was a mouse, or she would have smothered this Jon Snow in his cradle. Instead, she’s left the filthy task to me.

Catelyn certainly didn’t “mother” Jon in the sense of motherly love. Catelyn is quite connected to “smothering.” She recalls Robb’s statement about eating stewed crow smothered in maggots if Walder Frey should require that.
Since “smothering” causes suffocation / choking, her preferred method of killing Freys by hanging is also related to this smothering motif. A mother who smothers. Might her "smothering" Freys also lead to shadows?  I also ask myself if Catelyn is the symbolic stewed crow smothered in maggots here.  

Addition to pillows  and kisses - "lip" is within "pillow." 

Edited by Evolett
Addition to the comment

Stiff masts, mastiffs and fat pink masts

Stiff masts are linked to ship masts as well as to an erection. The two are combined in Joso’s Cock, the battering ram that was a ship mast, used to demolish the gates of Meereen. One could also interpret the latter as a “rape” and I’m guessing there’s an illicit and perhaps even supernatural aspect to the mention of certain stiff masts and derivatives.

When Theon meets “Esgred” for the first time they soon engage in sexy banter and Theon says:

“My eyes can see your face. My ears can hear your laughter. And my cock’s gone hard as a mast for you.”

Theon is later appalled that Asha, his own sister, led him on. The implication is, had she not recognized him either, they could have unknowingly had an incestuous relationship. However, this example does not suggest a “forced entry” on Theon’s part because he is very much aware of and enamored of Esgred’s personality.

Sam’s fat pink mast and the mastiff might be related to Littlefinger. Through Sansa’s POV, we learn Littlefinger’s servants share the kitchen with a brindled mastiff and sheepdogs. LF has 23 sheep. Perhaps the mastiff also protects the sheep?

The servants lived and slept in the kitchen at ground level, sharing the space with a huge brindled mastiff and a half-dozen sheepdogs.

So Littlefinger has a mastiff while Sam Tarly of the fat pink mast meets Marwyn, also known as the “mastiff.” In Sam’s case his “mast” is pink, this possibly a play on “pinkie,” an expression for a “little finger.” Littlefinger’s penis has also been referred to as his “little finger” by Randa. 

Gilly is rescued by Sam who has a fat pink mast. Are we to compare Gilly’s rescue to Sansa’s rescue by Littlefinger? Are Gilly and Sansa versions of a particular type of young girl important to the back story? Coming to think of it there are some parallels – that of the brutal, cruel partner / betrothed / husband.
I suspect the flower motif is also important to these two.

Marwyn is at odds with the other maesters, the “grey sheep.” Littlefinger says he’s more worried about sheep than shepherds. Gilly is a wildling, some of whom are “sheep.”  

Speaking of sheep, the one time ship’s mast Joso’s cock is a battering ram, and a ram is also a male sheep.  A ram skull as well as a bear skull are fixed to the entrance to Craster’s Keep. I’ve pondered whether Craster is represented by the ram and Mormont by the bear, the two skulls foreshadowing the death of both men within the Keep. Now I think that works. The rape symbolism of the mast turned ram also applies to Craster who violates his daughters. Adding Theon’s “mast” that is hard for his sister Asha also brings the element of incest into the mix. Interesting that Theon himself is tortured and violated by Ramsay.  

The "ram" motif could also extend to Aerys.... as in Aries the zodiacal ram. Ramsay has been called "a beast in human skin," while Aerys is "the crowned beast."

"A possibility arises for a third race to have inhabited the Seven Kingdoms in the Dawn Age, but it is so speculative that it need only be dealt with briefly. Among the ironborn, it is said that the first of the First Men to come to the Iron Isles found the famous Seastone Chair on Old Wyk, but that the isles were uninhabited. If true, the nature and origins of the chair's makers are a mystery. Maester Kirth in his collection of ironborn legends, Songs the Drowned Men Sing, has suggested that the chair was left by visitors from across the Sunset Sea, but there is no evidence for this, only speculation."

Riding with the theory that the weirwood species came to Planetos via panspermia (and as such would be implicated in astral bodies crashing into moons and asteroids sending walls of water and breaking arms and such)....the phrase "across the Sunset Sea" could be taken as a winking reference to outer space.

Edited by Phylum of Alexandria

I wonder if we haven’t missed an obvious bit of wordplay going back to the first book. We could read a SINGER as one who SINGES, ie a fire breathing creature of some sort..? The last line of the book even mentions the “music of dragons” so there’s some apt symbolism even. 

Here are some interesting word choices if we take singers/dragons to be an occasional code GRRM is employing:

Catelyn smiled, wondering what Edmure would think of that. Another singer had once bedded a girl her brother fancied; he had hated the breed ever since. 

Singers sat before the king's pavilion, filling the dusk with music. A juggler kept a cascade of burning clubs spinning through the air.

That fool singer might make a lay of it.

Lay = a song. Also wordplay on laying eggs …

I was about to settle down to a warm fire and a roast fowl, and that wretched singer had to open his mouth, he thought mournfully. 

As he struggled to yank the blade loose, he heard Marillion moaning under the bodies. "Someone help me," the singer gasped. "Gods have mercy, I'm bleeding."
"I believe that's horse blood," Tyrion said. The singer's hand came crawling out from beneath the dead animal

Dragon + Dany from Drogo’s pyre symbolism here.

9 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

We could read a SINGER as one who SINGES, ie a fire breathing creature of some sort..?

That's a good one, especially since the CotF are linked to dragonglass. Some time ago I tried the unscrambler on woh dak nag gran, the name the giants called the CotF, meaning "squirrel people."  Significant are:
"dragon," and with "awaking" from the rest of the letters (i is a wildcard). "Nagga" is another. 

2 hours ago, Evolett said:

Some time ago I tried the unscrambler on woh dak nag gran, the name the giants called the CotF, meaning "squirrel people."  Significant are:
"dragon," and with "awaking" from the rest of the letters (i is a wildcard).

Ah, I did this one and just kept nag the same, for Hawk / Nag / Dragon (Hawk, horse, dragon). Kind of put me in mind of all those sphinx threads we've seen this year. Dany is a pegasus confirmed? ^_^

1 hour ago, Sandy Clegg said:
3 hours ago, Evolett said:

Some time ago I tried the unscrambler on woh dak nag gran, the name the giants called the CotF, meaning "squirrel people."  Significant are:
"dragon," and with "awaking" from the rest of the letters (i is a wildcard).

Ah, I did this one and just kept nag the same, for Hawk / Nag / Dragon (Hawk, horse, dragon). Kind of put me in mind of all those sphinx threads we've seen this year. Dany is a pegasus confirmed?

A bit of all :)

The hawk puts me in mind of this:

I was making a fool of myself with Proudwing, he said, and he was right.” Stannis Baratheon turned away from the window, and the ghosts who moved upon the southern sea. “The Seven have never brought me so much as a sparrow. It is time I tried another hawk, Davos. A red hawk.”

Stannis's red hawk is very preoccupied with waking dragons from stone..

On 10/26/2022 at 12:38 AM, Seams said:

Feet / Pies

Serendipity. Today, I had to stand in line to make a return at a big box store. A big computer screen was in my line of sight and it had a post-Covid message on the screen in English and Spanish: 6 feet / 6 Pies, with a diagram showing two people standing six feet apart. 

GRRM's symbolic use of feet is one of the big puzzles that continues to elude me. But if there is a link between feet and pies, this could help us to crack his code. 

And could also help us to reconstruct Lord Manderly's recipe for Frey Pie. 

That pie has to be made with choux pastry. :P

Not a pun or wordplay as such, more a reference to an idiom in Icelandic (by the way, can't we have a thread which deals exclusively with GRRM's borrowing from other languages?).

Anyway, I've been researching connections between the Others and traditional elves of folklore (as opposed to the Tolkein-esque variety) and came across a curious expression in Iceland: “at ganga álfrek” - literally 'to drive away the elves' - which is used as a euphemism for urinating, kind of like 'answer a call of nature' or ' spend a penny' in the UK.

Now if we we take North of the Wall to be the origin of the Others/dark elvish figures then this Tyrion quote can be seen in a new light:

Tyrion laughed. "What, me, celibate? The whores would go begging from Dorne to Casterly Rock. No, I just want to stand on top of the Wall and piss off the edge of the world."

Cersei stood abruptly. "The children don't need to hear this filth. Tommen, Myrcella, come." She strode briskly from the morning room, her train and her pups trailing behind her.

Tyrion expresses his desire to stand on top of the wall and take a piss. To 'drive away the elves', so to speak (at least if he were in Iceland. Oh wait - North of the Wall is pretty much the land of ice!). And what is the response to this?

The 'children' leave.

I take this to be a pretty strong bit of symbolism between COTF/elves/Others being related antagonistic forces. I'd always found that Tyrion line about 'pissing off the Wall' as something that might have been hinting at something else, other than a nice bit of character flavour for everyone's favourite impudent Imp. I just could never grasp what it might be.

Any Icelandic forum members out there like to comment on how common the expression is?

Martin is so creative. He literally and literarily creates his own literary tools. In this case he crafts a foil. I mean he doesn’t just create a contrasting character; he literally takes a fencing foil, a weapon, and turns it into a literary foil. In the real world there was an engineer named Vic Tandy that made the first association between ghostly apparitions and the fear frequency. Likely, Martin knowing this, creates a little bilateral conundrum using Tandy’s foil and a literary tool. Tandy’s foil, a narrow flexible weapon, used in fencing for thrusting was shivering when Tandy found it still in it’s vice from the night before. He had been polishing it when he began to feel sweaty, cold and noticeable depressed. He seemingly felt as though something was watching him, something cold and implacable that loved him not. He then, seeing movement from the corner of his eye, glimpses a white shadow similar to the one Will, from AGOT Prologue, sees with it’s pale sword shivering through the air. Thus we have a shivering sword associated with a white shadow in both stories. Vic Tandy’s ghostly shape was created by the low frequency of a newly installed extractor fan while Will’s pale shapes were created by…

Then Martin, using a literary device called a foil, creates a white shadow and contrasts it in a duel with Ser Waymar Royce highlighting his traits. I believe also that this will serve as a subplot and be used as a foil to the main plot, a sort of "story within a story" motif. This Other’s character is showing the opposite traits of Waymar’s character. Just as aluminum foil reflects light on its surface, the Other is shining light on Ser Waymar Royce to showcase his traits. Foil as a literary term is named after an old jewelry trick of setting a gem on a foil base to enhance its shine. The Other’s eye’s, like the gems, blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice are fixed on the longsword, like the foil base. 

The pale sword, the one shivering in the air like Vic Tandy’s foil, is a foil to Waymar’s longsword. And like Tandy’s foil, Waymar’s longsword will be Will’s proof that infrasound is associated with ghost-light like Waymar’s longsword’s foil, the Other’s longsword. Confusing right? Think of the Other’s pale sword and Waymar‘s sword as two aspects of a whole. They are both shivering and prove that Intrasound is associated with a ghost-light or a white shadow.

And it’s likely no coincidence that Waymar’s longsword that ”shivered into a hundred brittle pieces, the shards scattering like a rain of needles” uses the plural of the word “needle” to describe the pieces. It’s the same name as Arya’s sword. Arya’s sword, like Vic Tandy’s sword, is a foil. It would seem, unlike the show, that Arya’s sword needle will be important when it comes to the Others.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:59 PM, Sandy Clegg said:

Anyway, I've been researching connections between the Others and traditional elves of folklore (as opposed to the Tolkein-esque variety) and came across a curious expression in Iceland: “at ganga álfrek” - literally 'to drive away the elves' - which is used as a euphemism for urinating, kind of like 'answer a call of nature' or ' spend a penny' in the UK.

How would this relate to Aeron Damphair's pissing contests? Do you see similar meaning?

The Drowned God gives every man a gift, even him; no man could piss longer or farther than Aeron Greyjoy, as he proved at every feast. Once he bet his new longship against a herd of goats that he could quench a hearthfire with no more than his cock. Aeron feasted on goat for a year, and named the longship Golden Storm, though Balon threatened to hang him from her mast when he heard what sort of ram his brother proposed to mount upon her prow. 

17 hours ago, Evolett said:

How would this relate to Aeron Damphair's pissing contests? Do you see similar meaning?

Good connection @Evolett. Aeron's pissing prowess could be hinting at something. Pissing on a hearth might not quite fit the 'driving away elves' pattern above, but it's worth taking a look at this. GRRM's writing in ASOIAF definitely has scatalogical flavour, in keeping with the series' medieval tone (check out Chaucer  - the guy can be absolutely filthy when he wants!).

So I think first of all, the Aeron story serves a purpose which is to cement the connection between 'golden' and 'piss' in the reader's mind. The name 'Golden Storm' obviously brings to mind another phrase which refers to a certain, um ... 'act' ... which we don't need to go into here. But you all know what we mean! 

Anyway, we should accept that 'piss' and 'shit' are just words/images in GRRM's arsenal of wordplay and not be too squeamish about analysing them. We have Tywin shitting gold, the Pisswater Prince, etc. In fact, the colour yellow crops up quite a lot in liquid form - honey, melting cheese, yellow beer, lemon juice. The Milkwater river beyond the Wall. Blood and Cheese.  In these books, there's definitely more to piss than meets the eye (apologies for that image. Ew).

EDIT (bonus content): OK, so I was just reminded that we also have references to Fool's Gold in several places in the books. And what is urine but a poor imitation of gold? Two of my favourite examples also involve wordplay so I'll post them here while I wait for my bowl of brown to simmer. 

So, Victarion is an Iron Pirate, which sounds so similar to Iron Pyrite (fool's gold) that it must have been on GRRM's mind. What confirms this for me, however, is that Vic travels with Moqorro. One way to read Moqorro's name is to split in into English/Latin halves to give 'MOCK ORO' or 'fake gold'. The fact that they both also have strong fire imagery means you could even read them as symbols for an STD. Well, they are sailors after all.  :P

Edited by Sandy Clegg

On 12/19/2022 at 6:23 PM, Sandy Clegg said:

So I think first of all, the Aeron story serves a purpose which is to cement the connection between 'golden' and 'piss' in the reader's mind. The name 'Golden Storm' obviously brings to mind another phrase which refers to a certain, um ... 'act' ... which we don't need to go into here. But you all know what we mean! 

Anyway, we should accept that 'piss' and 'shit' are just words/images in GRRM's arsenal of wordplay and not be too squeamish about analysing them. We have Tywin shitting gold, the Pisswater Prince, etc. In fact, the colour yellow crops up quite a lot in liquid form - honey, melting cheese, yellow beer, lemon juice. The Milkwater river beyond the Wall. Blood and Cheese.  In these books, there's definitely more to piss than meets the eye (apologies for that image. Ew).

True, and maddeningly, I still have no clear idea on what this is telling us. There's also the Harpy of Astapor, with yellow water gushing from her breasts. 

On 12/19/2022 at 6:23 PM, Sandy Clegg said:

So, Victarion is an Iron Pirate, which sounds so similar to Iron Pyrite (fool's gold) that it must have been on GRRM's mind. What confirms this for me, however, is that Vic travels with Moqorro. One way to read Moqorro's name is to split in into English/Latin halves to give 'MOCK ORO' or 'fake gold'.

Lovely :)

Poisson (French for fish) and poison.  A number of our prominent "fish," are associated with poison. There's Lysa who poisoned Lord Arryn with the Tears of Lys, Sansa and the poisoned hairnet, Arya using poison on her first mission as a faceless woman, Stoneheart whom we've discussed in terms of being poisoned by her inability to grieve /vengeance. 

In Cressen's prologue, before he goes ahead with the attempt to poison Melisandre, Patchface waves a cod like a sceptre, while mouthing one of his fish verses:

“Here we eat fish,” the fool declared happily, waving a cod about like a sceptre. “Under the sea, the fish eat us. I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.” 

I think figuring out the relationship between fish and poison may reveal why Jon Snow's mother is a "fishwife" or a "fisherman's daughter"  and why Lyanna thus becomes a symbolic fishwife. 

19 hours ago, Evolett said:

True, and maddeningly, I still have no clear idea on what this is telling us. There's also the Harpy of Astapor, with yellow water gushing from her breasts. 

Love this catch too - gosh, it's just so hard to keep track of all the things and it makes my brain go wonky just thinking of how GRRM navigates all this when he's writing. At least collaborating on here means we may one day manage to unearth what all this might mean (assuming it means anything at all and we aren't all just on the tinfoil choo-choo train to la la land. :) ).

So ... mother's milk as yellow water.  Another 'yellow liquid' serving as a bodily fluid substitute. Blood and milk are positive and beneficial. Piss for milk - to me -points at some unnatural substitution taking place.  "Gold for iron" as the nightingales sing in the AFFC prologue. Where there should be iron blood, instead there is yellow 'gold'. Instead of white milk, the harpy produces yellow piss-water. Interesting. It also puts me in mind of that quote right back in the prologue" "never believe anything you hear at a women's tit". Should we looking into the yellow bones and skulls mentioned throughout the series too? 

Nissa / Ny Sar

There does not appear to be a connection at first glance but dig into “Ny Sar” and symbolic parallels to Nissa Nissa begin to emerge. Ny Sar is a ruined Rhoynish city that was devastated by the Volantenes/Valyrians during Garin’s war. Notably, it was the home of Nymeria and the seat of her palace. This is our first clue to Nissa Nissa, namely, the sunspear sigil of House Martell featuring a gold spear piercing a red sun on an orange field and alluding to the piercing of Nissa Nissa’s heart with the sword that was to become Lightbringer. Note the colours of the arms match the colours emitted by Stannis’ Lightbringer and how Maester Aemon compares them to sunlight.

Samwell: It glows. As if it were on fire. There are no flames, but the steel is yellow and red and orange, all flashing and glimmering, like sunshine on water, but prettier. I wish you could see it, Maester.

Aemon: I see it now, Sam. A sword full of sunlight. So lovely to behold.

To me,  the red sun as a representation of Nissa Nissa’s (red) heart makes a lot of sense because we have Melisandre, whose emblem is the fiery red heart directly involved in the forging of Stannis’s fake Lightbringer.

From Aemon also comes the information that Lightbringer was warm to the touch. Warm because it drank the life-fires of the symbolic red sun, Nissa Nissa, to empower the Red Sword of Heroes.

her blood and her soul and her strength and her courage all went into the steel. Such is the tale of the forging of Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes.

With Nymeria’s original sigil being the Rhoynish sun, she is a representation of Nissa Nissa. We can agree that Nymeria was a woman of great strength and courage. The original Martells who took the spear as their sigil are then linked to Azor Ahai.

But there is more. Nymeria is Arya’s heroine and the reason why she named her direwolf after the warrior princess. Some of this symbolism should also show up in Arya. She is certainly as strong and as courageous as Nymeria and is also very much linked to water (learns the “water dance,” travels through the Riverlands, by sea and now living on Braavos, a sea-faring island state permeated by numerous canals).

More Arya parallels: The Noyne is known as the Mother’s “Wild Daughter.” Besides its riverine location, Ny Sar  is described as a city of fountains (water reference again) and alive with song. That’s our next pun. Alive with song = Aria (in opera, a musical composition for a solo voice) = Arya.

Last but not least, there is this almost anagram of Nissa Nissa that points directly to Arya: assassin.

The Rhoynar are said to be the first to have discovered the secrets of forging iron. Their end of Long Night legend speaks of Mother Rhoyne's lesser gods, the Crab King and Old Man of the River, putting aside their differences to sing a song that brought back the day. Nissa Nissa could have very well have her roots here. On a side note, I personally think she hailed from a culture that pre-dates the Rhoynar, one the Rhoynar stem from, namely the Fisher Queens.

On page 6 of this thread Isobel Harper noted a "name jumble" in Ny Sar:

On 5/6/2016 at 6:21 AM, Isobel Harper said:

Ny Sar.  "This is Ny Sar, where the Mother gathers in her Wild Daughter, Noyne," said Yandry.  This might be purely coincidental.  I dunno.  Catelyn/Stoneheart is currently looking for her daughters, seeking to reunite with them, to "gather them in."  Ny Sar is another "name jumble" of Sansa and Arya.  Reverse Ny Sar, then use the bolded letters.  Collect them from Sar, then Ny, then back to Sar.

Sar Ny: Sansa

Sar Ny: Arya

I  think she’s right about the name jumble within Ny Sar.

Sansa and Arya could be versions of Nissa Nissa. The "sun” is within San-sa and Sansa is within Nissa Nissa and of course Sansa knows all the songs. Sansa is the one with red hair, “kissed by fire,” the one who has to kiss Joffery’s sword.

There is an alternative possibility however: Arya, the assassin, as Azor Ahai and Sansa as Nissa Nissa.

Edited by Evolett