Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

3 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

It is not explicitly stated. However, considering it was Stannis who sent the child to Renly (at Storm's End) after his birth, I'd say that the child was born at Dragonstone.

OK, that's the conclusion that I came up with as well, based on the reasoning that you gave, but wouldn't he be a Waters then, not a Storm?

5 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I though I recalled him saying that the act was designed to show what kind of person he was. 

That's what the two reddit posts said too, that the book itself was inconsequential it was just to show Roose's character. I just can't find it in the SMM archive. It probably was in a video. If I had time I'd go through all the video interviews and transcribe them and submit them to Ran as SSMs, but that would take forever. 

On 8/2/2016 at 10:27 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Have we been told the story behind the gold coins in the purple and white checks of House Payne, or are we still waiting? 

All I've heard was that it's possibly a hint that Pod is Tyrion's son with Tysha.

14 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Wait... What?

Tyrion quips to Sansa (when he briefly mentions Tysha on their wedding night)  that his first wife's sigil had a golden coin/coins on a bloody sheet.  House Payne's arms are filled with golden coins.

There's also something about his mother abandoning him in his youth... his relatives from House Payne treating him poorly (per the theory due to him not being a Payne)... something something "his name saving him from execution" when the knight he once squired for was caught stealing.

Not sure if this is a small question, but...

When I was rereading ASoIaF, I thought that it was safe to assume that Stannis's leeches killed Joffrey, Balon, and Robb. So, in effect, he could have killed any three people he chose. So why didn't he choose Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen? Wouldn't the Lannisters have had to accept him as king?

Or am I just reading too much into the power of leeches?

@FearlessBoggart

To Stannis, Joffrey, Balon and Robb were usurpers.
In other hand, Myrcella and Tommen were "abominations born of incest", but still innocent of any treason.

However, after hearing about Joffrey's death, Stannis calls Tommen "another monster in the making", dispite his "gentler" way.

2 minutes ago, Ckram said:

@FearlessBoggart

To Stannis, Joffrey, Balon and Robb were usurpers.
In other hand, Myrcella and Tommen were "abominations born of incest", but still innocent of any treason.

However, after hearing about Joffrey's death, Stannis calls Tommen "another monster in the making", dispite his "gentler" way.

But Stannis has shown that he's willing to do pretty much anything to get thr throne... So why not this?

21 minutes ago, FearlessBoggart said:

Not sure if this is a small question, but...

When I was rereading ASoIaF, I thought that it was safe to assume that Stannis's leeches killed Joffrey, Balon, and Robb. So, in effect, he could have killed any three people he chose. So why didn't he choose Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen? Wouldn't the Lannisters have had to accept him as king?

Or am I just reading too much into the power of leeches?

I don't think the leaches killed anyone. Melisandre even tells him "this is not the way" and that he needs to sacrifice Edric. A lot of us suspect that she saw the three deaths in her flames and used that information to convince Stannis to burn Edric via the leaches. 

If leaches filled with kingsblood could really be used to kill people, Melisandre would have Stannis leached daily for that purpose. 

“With leeches.”
“Yes,” said Melisandre, “but I must tell you once more, this is not the way.”
“You swore it would work.” The king looked angry.
“It will... and it will not.”
“Which?”
“Both.”

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I don't think the leaches killed anyone. Melisandre even tells him "this is not the way" and that he needs to sacrifice Edric. A lot of us suspect that she saw the three deaths in her flames and used that information to convince Stannis to burn Edric via the leaches. 

If leaches filled with kingsblood could really be used to kill people, Melisandre would have Stannis leached daily for that purpose. 

On my initial read, that's what I thought as well, and you've convinced me of it now again. But how did they all die, then? Was that just a coincidence?

Just now, FearlessBoggart said:

On my initial read, that's what I thought as well, and you've convinced me of it now again. But how did they all die, then? Was that just a coincidence?

It's not a coincidence, Melisandre had a (series of) vision(s) of the future.  She just wasn't honest about it with Stannis. Most of the five kings were bound to die in the war. The Freys and Roose Bolton killed Robb, with Tywin's blessing. Euron killed Balon. Olenna killed Joffrey. Melisandre just took credit for them all because she had foreknowledge of their deaths. 

49 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It's not a coincidence, Melisandre had a (series of) vision(s) of the future.  She just wasn't honest about it with Stannis. Most of the five kings were bound to die in the war. The Freys and Roose Bolton killed Robb, with Tywin's blessing. Euron killed Balon. Olenna killed Joffrey. Melisandre just took credit for them all because she had foreknowledge of their deaths. 

Okay, I see.

Is there a quote where mel says she had those visions?

On 6-8-2016 at 6:42 PM, Darkstream said:

OK, that's the conclusion that I came up with as well, based on the reasoning that you gave, but wouldn't he be a Waters then, not a Storm?

There is no law determining which surname to give to a bastard. The surname a bastard receives appears to have more to do with the region in which he/she is raised, not where he/she is born, though not even this is a consistent rule.

Jon Snow was likely not born in the North, yet received the surname Snow. Aegor Rivers, whilst born in the Crownlands, was named Rivers, the bastard surname for the Riverlands. Meanwhile, Brynden Rivers, and his sisters, were born in the Crownlands as well, and are likely to have spent the first few years of their lives there as well, considering their parent's lived there, yet they are all called Rivers as well.

Obara Sand was born in the Reach, Nymeria Sand at Volantis. Meanwhile, Tyene Sand is likely to have been born outside of Dorne as well, yet all are called Sand

So that Edric is called Storm instead of Waters might be due to the fact that he was raised in the Stormlands.

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

There is no law determining which surname to give to a bastard. The surname a bastard receives appears to have more to do with the region in which he/she is raised, not where he/she is born, though not even this is a consistent rule.

Jon Snow was likely not born in the North, yet received the surname Snow. Aegor Rivers, whilst born in the Crownlands, was named Rivers, the bastard surname for the Riverlands. Meanwhile, Brynden Rivers, and his sisters, were born in the Crownlands as well, and are likely to have spent the first few years of their lives there as well, considering their parent's lived there, yet they are all called Rivers as well.

Obara Sand was born in the Reach, Nymeria Sand at Volantis. Meanwhile, Tyene Sand is likely to have been born outside of Dorne as well, yet all are called Sand

So that Edric is called Storm instead of Waters might be due to the fact that he was raised in the Stormlands.

Ah, I was thinking about that with regards to Jon, but figured it was just due to the secrecy surrounding his birth that Ned named him a Snow. I was not aware that there were so many other examples of this. Thank you for the detailed explanation.

2 minutes ago, Lommy's Shade said:

On Planetos, are the days longer in the summer and shorter in the winter? Or do they change with the year because of the planet's axial tilt?

There's  a line in there summer about days getting shorter...

Archived