Moments of Foreshadowing v.11

Lost Melnibonean

10 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I woulda been cool with Euron captures Arianne and toasts her to wake the dragon from the egg he did not toss into the sea, brother. (I get a little freaked out when Euron says brother. 

Spoiler

That's not Euron's MO, consider Falia, he feeds her lies and is about to use her pregnant ass as sacrifice for his blood magic. Same deal for Arianne, at the great tower, Storm's End.

Will we? Wondered Arianne. “Battle? Or siege?” She did not intend to let herself be trapped inside Storm’s End.

17 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:
  Hide contents

That's not Euron's MO, consider Falia, he feeds her lies and is about to use her pregnant ass as sacrifice for his blood magic. Same deal for Arianne, at the great tower, Storm's End.

Hmm...

I went into details about what the dragon horn will do in this topic.

But I missed a very good visual clue.

The horn will kill the blower but allow them to begin their second life as a dragon, throwing their soul into the ether and giving them the power to skinchange a dragon.

It was a terrible sound, a wail of pain and fury that seemed to burn the ears. Aeron Damphair covered his, and prayed for the Drowned God to raise a mighty wave and smash the horn to silence, yet still the shriek went on and on. It is the horn of hell, he wanted to scream, though no man would have heard him. The cheeks of the tattooed man were so puffed out they looked about to burst, and the muscles in his chest twitched in a way that it made it seem as if the bird were about to rip free of his flesh and take wing. And now the glyphs were burning brightly, every line and letter shimmering with white fire. On and on and on the sound went, echoing amongst the howling hills behind them and across the waters of Nagga's Cradle to ring against the mountains of Great Wyk, on and on and on until it filled the whole wet world.

When Varamyr dies his soul basically leaves his flesh, flies, and settles in One Eye after he fails with Thistle. The soul leaving someone when they blow the horn is demonstrated by the bird tattoo trying to rip free of the flesh and take flight.

In Dany's wake the dragon dream, she can see Rhaego's heart burning in his chest, then he is consumed by fire.

1 minute ago, chrisdaw said:

I went into details about what the dragon horn will do in this topic.

But I missed a very good visual clue.

The horn will kill the blower but allow them to begin their second life as a dragon, throwing their soul into the ether and giving them the power to skinchange a dragon.

When Varamyr dies his soul basically leaves his flesh, flies, and settles in One Eye after he fails with Thistle. The soul leaving someone when they blow the horn is demonstrated by the bird tattoo trying to rip free of the flesh and take flight.

In Dany's wake the dragon dream, she can see Rhaego's heart burning in his chest, then he is consumed by fire.

Yeah, but doesn't she also see Drogo gallop off into the night sky? 

Two red doors outside of Dany's thoughts and dreams.

The doors to the Great Hall were set in the mouth of a stone dragon. He told the servants to leave him outside. It would be better to enter alone; he must not appear feeble. Leaning heavily on his cane, Cressen climbed the last few steps and hobbled beneath the gateway teeth. A pair of guardsmen opened the heavy red doors before him, unleashing a sudden blast of noise and light. Cressen stepped down into the dragon's maw.

The red door represents Dany's home, or the path there. It will come to be the process of Dany dying and beginning the second life as the dragon, her home is inside Drogon. Cressen passes through the red doors, down the maw into the belly of the stone dragon. He's going to die there. Note the blast of of noise and light, similar to Dany's dragon dreams where she (or someone) first embraces fire before the coming of the dragon.

In this one the doors are iron, not red, but GRRM makes it red with dragon fire.

Dany did not want to talk about the dragons. Farmers still came to her court with burned bones, complaining of missing sheep, though Drogon had not returned to the city. Some reported seeing him north of the river, above the grass of the Dothraki sea. Down in the pit, Viserion had snapped one of his chains; he and Rhaegal grew more savage every day. Once the iron doors had glowed red-hot, her Unsullied told her, and no one dared to touch them for a day. "Astapor is under siege as well."

The above comes after the below in ADWD, the foreshadowing (for this anyway) is in the below. The above passage shows that these doors are symbolic of Dany's red one.

At ground level the Great Pyramid of Meereen was a hushed place, full of dust and shadows. Its outer walls were thirty feet thick. Within them, sounds echoed off arches of many-colored bricks, and amongst the stables, stalls, and storerooms. They passed beneath three massive arches, down a torchlit ramp into the vaults beneath the pyramid, past cisterns, dungeons, and torture chambers where slaves had been scourged and skinned and burned with red-hot irons. Finally they came to a pair of huge iron doors with rusted hinges, guarded by Unsullied. 

At her command, one produced an iron key. The door opened, hinges shrieking. Daenerys Targaryen stepped into the hot heart of darkness and stopped at the lip of a deep pit. Forty feet below, her dragons raised their heads. Four eyes burned through the shadows—two of molten gold and two of bronze.

Ser Barristan took her by the arm. "No closer."

"You think they would harm me?" 

"I do not know, Your Grace, but I would sooner not risk your person to learn the answer."

When Rhaegal roared, a gout of yellow flame turned darkness into day for half a heartbeat. The fire licked along the walls, and Dany felt the heat upon her face, like the blast from an oven. Across the pit, Viserion's wings unfolded, stirring the stale air. He tried to fly to her, but the chains snapped taut as he rose and slammed him down onto his belly. Links as big as a man's fist bound his feet to the floor. The iron collar about his neck was fastened to the wall behind him. Rhaegal wore matching chains. In the light of Selmy's lantern, his scales gleamed like jade. Smoke rose from between his teeth. Bones were scattered on the floor at his feet, cracked and scorched and splintered. The air was uncomfortably hot and smelled of sulfur and charred meat.

"They are larger." Dany's voice echoed off the scorched stone walls. A drop of sweat trickled down her brow and fell onto her breast. "Is it true that dragons never stop growing?" 

"If they have food enough, and space to grow. Chained up in here, though …"

The Great Masters had used the pit as a prison. It was large enough to hold five hundred men … and more than ample for two dragons. For how long, though? What will happen when they grow too large for the pit? Will they turn on one another with flame and claw? Will they grow wan and weak, with withered flanks and shrunken wings? Will their fires go out before the end?

The rusted shrieking hinge of the red door is the same imagery used for when Aeron remembers having been raped by Euron. Probably there to draw a parallel between what Euron has done and/or will do to Aeron and what he will do to Drogon.

Dany stepping into the hot heart of darkness is the money line. That's the inside of the dragon, the dragon's heart, from where the dragon gets its fire, while its Drogo (and Rhaego) Drogon will breathe fire. When Euron takes up his second life in Drogon he's going to enthral and then extinguish its living fire like Nagga. Then Dany comes, and the dragon's fire will return hotter than ever.

Two things in common here with her dragon dream where she wakes inside of Balerion. Darkness and someone being with her in the darkness. After she dies and wakes inside Drogon, Drogo and Rhaego will be there in the darkness with her. In the above they are symbolised by her dragons, their eyes visible, in the dragon dream on Balerion it is Quaithe.

I quoted on because I wanted the stone walls line shown too, symbolic of the stone dragon she will wake inside. And the line asking if their fires will go out before the end, as that is what will happen to Drogon.

The passage through the red door has the same meaning as this line.

"To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneaththe shadow."

Pass beneath the shadow means to die, touching the light is awakening as the fiery heart of the dragon. Same thing as this one too.

"When will he be as he was?" Dany demanded.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

Drogo will return to her, after she's done all that stuff including bearing a living child by Jon. She will die, and reunite with Drogo inside the dragon. That is her ultimate destination, what lies behind the red door, a second life with Drogo and Rhaego, happiness.

Daenerys Targaryen was no stranger to the Dothraki sea, the great ocean of grass that stretched from the forest of Qohor to the Mother of Mountains and the Womb of the World. She had seen it first when she was still a girl, newly wed to Khal Drogo and on her way to Vaes Dothrak to be presented to the crones of the dosh khaleen. The sight of all that grass stretching out before her had taken her breath away. The sky was blue, the grass was green, and I was full of hope. Ser Jorah had been with her then, her gruff old bear. She'd had Irri and Jhiqui and Doreah to care for her, her sun-and-stars to hold her in the night, his child growing inside her. Rhaego. I was going to name him Rhaego, and the dosh khaleen said he would be the Stallion Who Mounts the World. Not since those half-remembered days in Braavos when she lived in the house with the red door had she been as happy.

She thinks that the red door is Westeros, queenhood, that when she conquers Westeros and sits the throne as queen she'll be happy, home. She's wrong, herself with Drogo and Rhaego is her ultimate happy destination, what really lies behind the red door.

From her waking the dragon dream.

She saw sunlight on the Dothraki sea, the living plain, rich with the smells of earth and death. Wind stirred the grasses, and they rippled like water. Drogo held her in strong arms, and his hand stroked her sex and opened her and woke that sweet wetness that was his alone, and the stars smiled down on them, stars in a daylight sky. "Home," she whispered as he entered her and filled her with his seed, but suddenly the stars were gone, and across the blue sky swept the great wings, and the world took flame.

The above would fit as being behind the door, but in her dream when she does open it the other side is the Rhaegar vision. Perhaps putting this behind the door would have been too on the nose.

"… the dragon …"

And saw her brother Rhaegar, mounted on a stallion as black as his armor. Fire glimmered red through the narrow eye slit of his helm. "The last dragon," Ser Jorah's voice whispered faintly. "The last, the last." Dany lifted his polished black visor. The face within was her own.

Rhaegar all in black and Dany seeing herself in his place can symbolise Dany as being inside dragon Drogon, her being the fire inside of him. But that's not specifically what this is about. This is a refutation of Jorah's assertion that Rhaegar is the last dragon.

At some stage Dany is going to lose Drogon to Euron and the stone, and subsequently the throne. She will believe she needs to have a child to get Drogon back, and with Drogon back she can get her throne back. Getting the throne and her dragon back = happiness, home = the red door. Thus the red door to her will appear to be this process, the child, getting pregnant. Only she will keep miscarrying, the problem the lack of dragon blood of the fathers. But the last dragon, Rhaegar, is dead. Thus it will look to her the red door is closed to her forever. But of course there's Jon. He's the last dragon, he's how to get through the red door. So she goes and gets herself pregnant by Jon, the child doesn't miscarry, it all looks like its going to work. The stakes are higher now, it's the fate of the world hanging on her success, not just her queenhood.

Only Jon prevents her making the sacrifice, sacrificing children for any purpose is starkly anti-Stark. And he kills Dany. But she herself wakes inside the dragon, enters her second life. And that's the point of the quoted end of the wake the dragon fever dream. Rhaegar is not the last dragon, neither is his son Jon, she never needed either of them, Dany herself is the last dragon.

Wouldn't this be sweet...

“They will not.” Melisandre’s voice was soft. “I am sorry, Your Grace. This is not an end. More false kings will soon rise to take up the crowns of those who’ve died.” “More?” Stannis looked as though he would gladly have throttled her.

But it's gonna be the other way round. Compare this...

“More usurpers? More traitors?” “I have seen it in the flames.” Queen Selyse went to the king’s side. “The Lord of Light sent Melisandre to guide you to your glory. Heed her, I beg you. R’hllor’s holy flames do not lie.”

To this...

The black priest bowed his head. “There is no need. The Lord of Light has shown me your worth, lord Captain. Every night in my fires I glimpse the glory that awaits you.

And recall this...

"I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning... burning Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means?"

Alyssa's Tears... Lysa's Tears... I feel like that might be some of the "low hanging fruit" mentioned by the OP.

But how about this one, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere...

The song, "the queen took off her Sandal..."

Hizdahr Zo Lorac derives his title from Daenery's. There are many factors leading up to it, but ultimately, Selmy stages his Coup after Dany flies off on Drogon.

The Song goes: "The queen took off her sandal, the king took of his crown."

When Dany hops down into the fighting pit, she loses her sandal...

1 hour ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Alyssa's Tears... Lysa's Tears... I feel like that might be some of the "low hanging fruit" mentioned by the OP.

But how about this one, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere...

The song, "the queen took off her Sandal..."

Hizdahr Zo Lorac derives his title from Daenery's. There are many factors leading up to it, but ultimately, Selmy stages his Coup after Dany flies of on Drogon.

The Song goes: "The queen took off her sandal, the king took of his crown."

When Dany hops down into the fighting pit, she loses her sandal...

Impressive. Most impressive. And don't  worry about the low hanging fruit. Alyssa's tears foreshadow Lady Stoneheart. I bet that hasn't been discussed here in a couple of years. 

14 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Impressive. Most impressive. And don't  worry about the low hanging fruit. Alyssa's tears foreshadow Lady Stoneheart. I bet that hasn't been discussed here in a couple of years. 

Thanks! I need to reread the Alyssa's Tears myth.I thought it was a reference to the Tears in Jon Arryn's wine or where they came from...

How about this one..

***TWOW content below***

Spoiler

In the Winds of Winter, in the Tyrion sample chapter, they decide to go over to Daenerys with a red Cyvasse dragon. (It was originally white, but gets covered in yunkish blood.

And then in Arianne's chapter at the end of A Dance with Dragon, Doran Martell vows vengence with a black Cyvasse dragon, and sends Arriane to meet with jon Connington to go over to "Aegon."

30 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Thanks! I need to reread the Alyssa's Tears myth.I thought it was a reference to the Tears in Jon Arryn's wine or where they came from...

How about this one..

***TWOW content below***

Reveal hidden contents

In the Winds of Winter, in the Tyrion sample chapter, they decide to go over to Daenerys with a red Cyvasse dragon. (It was originally white, but gets covered in yunkish blood.

And then in Arianne's chapter at the end of A Dance with Dragon, Doran Martell vows vengence with a black Cyvasse dragon, and sends Arriane to meet with jon Connington to go over to "Aegon."

Good. On color combinations in ASOIAF...

There is an SSM somewhere indicating that we will see a second Dance of Dragons. Aegon was the leader of the greens in the first Dance of Dragons, so it stands to reason that our Aegon, assuming he will "dance" with Daenerys, can be associated with green.

And, well, um... the babe was the leader of the blacks, right? So it stands to reason that our babe, the hot chick on the black dragon, can be associated with black. If you search a bit, you'll find all kinds of green and black contrasts and combinations throughout ASOIAF. Perhaps it's nothing more than coincidence, but I highly doubt that. There was a reason for all those green and black color references. And with the publication of TP&TQ or the Blacks and the Greens, we finally found the Rosetta Stone.

Some of those green and black sets in the books include blue. Well, the astute reader has associated Jon with blue ever since he or she figured out R+L=J.

There are an awful lot of red and black combinations too. We've known about the red dragon versus black dragon for sometime. And as Kevin tells us we have no reason to question Daenerys's parentage. She is a true Targaryen, a red dragon. Do we have a black dragon? Well, I think it's Aegon, assuming he is The Blackfyre. Can we get there by deductive reasoning? I don't think so. But given the way the plot sets up, should we ecpect it? I think we should. Yes there are reasons against it, but I don't agree with those. And Aegon fits the bill.

So, when we have red and black, Daenerys is red and Aegon is black. When we have black and green, Daenerys is black and Aegon is green. When we see blue in there, that's Jon, Aegon is green, and Daenerys is sometimes black and sometimes red.

This, of course suggests that Aegon will eventually ride the green dragon. 

Unfortunately, we don't have a blue dragon. (Where's Saphira when you need her?) But if Daenerys is the red (get it? Red) herring for the prince that was promised and dies, then we will see Jon ride the stallion that mounts the world. 

But we do have a white dragon. That's Tyrion's. He'll either ride it himself or help Brown Ben to ride it. 

On the last page, I said this...

In previous threads this quote has been suggested to foreshadow a kraken, a real one, attacking the fleet that Daenerys will eventually obtain as she eventually sails west, killing one of her followers, presumably an important one...

But a sudden shout snapped her head about before she could leap. The ferrymen were rushing forward, poles in hand. For a moment she did not understand what was happening. Then she saw it: an uprooted tree, huge and dark, coming straight at them. A tangle of roots and limbs poked up out of the water as it came, like the reaching arms of a great kraken. The oarsmen were backing water frantically, trying to avoid a collision that could capsize them or stove their hull in. The old man had wrenched the rudder about, and the horse at the prow was swinging downstream, but too slowly. Glistening brown and black, the tree rushed toward them like a battering ram. 

It could not have been more than ten feet from their prow when two of the boatmen somehow caught it with their long poles. One snapped, and the long splintering craaaack made it sound as if the ferry were breaking up beneath them. But the second man managed to give the trunk a hard shove, just enough to deflect it away from them. The tree swept past the ferry with inches to spare, its branches scrabbling like claws against the horsehead. Only just when it seemed as if they were clear, one of the monster’s upper limbs dealt them a glancing thump. The ferry seemed to shudder, and Arya slipped, landing painfully on one knee. The man with the broken pole was not so lucky. She heard him shout as he stumbled over the side. Then the raging brown water closed over him, and he was gone in the time it took Arya to climb back to her feet. One of the other boatmen snatched up a coil of rope, but there was no one to throw it to.

The kraken analogy is explicit, but the analogy to Daenerys relies on the assumption that Arya can be associated with Daenerys. I am not so sure the author was actually foreshadowing  anything here. I think he was just describing a harrowing scene to set up the irony and outrage the reader feels when Sandor cheats the ferrymen by relying on their instinctual trust of knightly honor. 

But just a couple of chapters later, we have this...

Lord Celtigar had many fine wines that now I am not tasting, a sea eagle he had trained to fly from the wrist, and a magic horn to summon krakens from the deep. Very useful such a horn would be, to pull down Tyroshi and other vexing creatures.

So, the foreshadowing argument remains. But wouldn't we expect the object of the kraken's tenacles to be associates with a horse and Tyrosh? And when I hear horse and Tyrosh, I think Bittersteel and the Golden Company. Now, we know that the Golden Company lost men crossing the Narrow Sea, and in winds we learn that there are,

Spoiler

"krakens off the Broken Arm, pulling under crippled galleys." 

So perhaps the first passage foreshadows the loss of at least one ship ferrying the Golden Company to a kraken. 

ETA

Or maybe it foreshadows Euron defeating the Golden Company. In that case I would still expect Daenerys to come to her "nephew's" aid, as Tyrion suggested she would. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The kraken analogy is explicit, but the analogy to Daenerys relies on the assumption that Arya can be associated with Daenerys. I am not so sure the author was actually foreshadowing  anything here. I think he was just describing a harrowing scene to set up the irony and our age the reader feels when Sandor cheats the ferrymen by religious on their instinctual trust of knightly honor. 

maybe because of this:

The ferryman with the bent back wasn’t smiling any longer. “We can get you across,” he said sourly. “It will cost you a gold piece. Another for the horse. A third for the boy.”

“Three dragons?” Clegane gave a bark of laughter. “For three dragons I should own the bloody ferry.”

“Last year, might be you could. But with this river, I’ll need extra hands on the poles and oars just to see we don’t get swept a hundred miles out to sea. Here’s your choice. Three dragons, or you teach that hellhorse how to walk on water.

29 minutes ago, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

maybe because of this:

The ferryman with the bent back wasn’t smiling any longer. “We can get you across,” he said sourly. “It will cost you a gold piece. Another for the horse. A third for the boy.”

“Three dragons?” Clegane gave a bark of laughter. “For three dragons I should own the bloody ferry.”

“Last year, might be you could. But with this river, I’ll need extra hands on the poles and oars just to see we don’t get swept a hundred miles out to sea. Here’s your choice. Three dragons, or you teach that hellhorse how to walk on water.

Well, Aegon is with the Golden Company, and black or red...

Is it possible that the fate of Serala, the Lace Serpent of Duskendale foreshadows the fate of Melisandre?

The queen's men might remain fervent followers of the Lord of Light, but the lesser folk of Dragonstone were drifting back to the gods they'd known all their lives. They said Stannis was ensorceled, that Melisandre had turned him away from the Seven to bow before some demon out of shadow, and . . . worst sin of all . . . that she and her god had failed him. And there were knights and lordlings who felt the same.

Davos V, Storm 54

"In Duskendale they love Lord Denys still, despite the woe he brought them. 'Tis Lady Serala that they blame, his Myrish wife. The Lace Serpent, she is called. ... The Lace Serpent filled her husband's ear with Myrish poison, they say, until Lord Denys rose against his king and took him captive. ...

... "Once Lord Denys lost his hostage, he opened his gates and ended his defiance rather than let Lord Tywin take the town. He bent the knee and begged for mercy, but the king was not of a forgiving mind. Lord Denys lost his head, as did his brothers and his sister, uncles, cousins, all the lordly Darklyns. The Lace Serpent was burned alive, poor woman, though her tongue was torn out first, and her female parts, with which it was said that she had enslaved her lord. Half of Duskendale will still tell you that Aerys was too kind to her."

Brienne II, Feast 9

I suppose being burned alive would be a fitting end for Melisandre.

At the top of the steps Davos heard a soft jingle of bells that could only herald Patchface. The princess's fool was waiting outside the maester's door for her like a faithful hound. Dough-soft and slump-shouldered, his broad face tattooed in a motley pattern of red and green squares, Patchface wore a helm made of a rack of deer antlers strapped to a tin bucket. A dozen bells hung from the tines and rang when he moved . . . which meant constantly, since the fool seldom stood still. He jingled and jangled his way everywhere he went; small wonder that Pylos had exiled him from Shireen's lessons. "Under the sea the old fish eat the young fish," the fool muttered at Davos. He bobbed his head, and his bells clanged and chimed and sang. "I know, I know, oh oh oh."

Davos V, Storm 54

Melisandre is old...

... Strange voices called to her from days long past.

... Melisandre had practiced her art for years beyond count, and she had paid the price.

Melisandre, Dance 31

Shireen is young...

Her name was Shireen. She would be ten on her next name day, and she was the saddest child that Maester Cressen had ever known.

Prologue, Clash

Shireen wants king’s blood...

Melisandre moved closer. "Save them, sire. Let me wake the stone dragons. Three is three. Give me the boy."

... He turned back to Melisandre. "You swear there is no other way? Swear it on your life, for I promise, you shall die by inches if you lie."

... Melisandre went to him, her red lips parted, her ruby throbbing. "Give me this boy," she whispered, "and I will give you your kingdom."

"He can't," said Davos. "Edric Storm is gone."

Davos VI, Storm 63

Shireen has king’s blood, and she is a dead girl...

"If Stannis wins his war, Shireen will stand as heir to the Iron Throne."

"Then I pity your Seven Kingdoms."

"The maesters say greyscale is not—"

"The maesters may believe what they wish. Ask a woods witch if you would know the truth. The grey death sleeps, only to wake again. The child is not clean! "

"She seems a sweet girl. You cannot know—"

"I can. You know nothing, Jon Snow." Val seized his arm. "I want the monster out of there. Him and his wet nurses. You cannot leave them in that same tower as the dead girl."

Melisandre cannot burn Edric Storm, but she is going to burn Shireen with Selyse’s blessing, since they will both be desperate having seen Jon Snow betrayed and wounded or dead, and having come to believe that Ramsay has defeated and killed Stannis.

And the old fish will eat the young fish. Poor Shireen.

Stannis is gonna be pissed. 

Since when is the series taking place under the sea and do Melisandre and Shireen look like fish to you?

What stone dragons is Shireen's sacrifice going to wake at the Wall where there are no stone dragons?

If you imagine a scenario you have to actually think things through. Just burning the girl isn't the usual modus operandi of people (although I've come to suggest burning my little niece to change the weather - if Stephen Dillane thinks stuff like that makes sense so do I).

Selyse has no reason whatsoever to burn her only child. In fact, the news about Stannis' death puts her technically is a pretty good position considering that the Florents would be now in charge of the Baratheon cause. But Melisandre is not going to buy the claim that Stannis is dead. He is Azor Ahai and therefore he cannot die. She might believe it if she had seen it with her own eyes. But she hasn't.

Stannis will burn his own daughter at a later point in time. George has sort of already confirmed that when he stated that he hasn't yet written the Shireen scene. That suggests that Shireen isn't going to die early on in TWoW, perhaps only at the end of said book or only in ADoS or even a later book. And we should assume that George already had covered the aftermath of the Wall situation when he mentioned that on his NAB last year in the aftermath of season 5.

Unless the whole greyscale is dormant plot line was a waste of pages we should assume Shireen first begins to infect other people with greyscale, and she can't do that when she is a pile of ash. Her greyscale might return and Mel might even heal it or burn it away the Moqorro way before a situation involving the Others arises in which Stannis eventually kills her. Perhaps he is trying to make himself a true Lightbringer or something like that?

Unless Melisandre is burned by dragonfire and subsequently devoured by a dragon I don't see her burning to death. If there is a character who is truly fire proof it would be her.

9 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Well, Aegon is with the Golden Company, and black or red...

This to me seems like foreshadowing that Sandor wasn't going to actually die. He didn't actually pay the ferryman when he crossed the river, so the Ferryman can't take what was never paid for (his life). 

That, or it's a really long euphemism for something else :dunno:

Archived