Wow, I Never Noticed That, v. 14

Isobel Harper

• 2 weeks later...

Wordless, Sam staggered up onto the deck to retch, but there was nothing in his belly to bring up. Night had come upon them, a strange still night such as they had not seen for many days. The sea was black as glass. At the oars, the rowers rested. One or two were sleeping where they sat. The wind was in the sails, and to the north Sam could even see a scattering of stars, and the red wanderer the free folk called the Thief. That ought to be my star, Sam thought miserably. I helped to make Jon Lord Commander, and I brought him Gilly and the babe. There are no happy endings.

Samwell II, Feast 15

The red wanderer, or thief, is clearly based on Mars. But you don't see the planets by looking to the north. 

8 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Samwell II, Feast 15

The red wanderer, or thief, is clearly based on Mars. But you don't see the planets by looking to the north. 

I could argue that Planetos's tilt could be extreme and that's what brings seasons so prolonged, and at some point the North (or around it) would be close to the orbital plane... but at that point they're on Autumn, so you're right.

2 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

"Stannis will need another Hand," observed Aurane Waters with a chuckle. "The turnip knight, perhaps?"

Turnips have near as much Vitamin C as lemons.  Silly sailor!  You of all people shouldn't mock the Turnip.  #scurvywench

Is this Aurane advertising a carreer path for himself?

7 hours ago, A Black Hole of Ice & Fire said:

I'd be surprised if this hasn't already been mentioned, but... Gendry Waters' Master, Tobho Mott, happens to be one of the decidedly few Smiths in Westeros with the ability to reforge Valyrian Steel. 

And he is the first person to say mayhaps.

"Our late High Septon let too much pass, I fear. Age had dimmed his sight and sapped his strength."

"He was an old done man, Your Grace." Qyburn smiled at Pycelle. "His passing should not have surprised us. No man can ask for more than to die peacefully in his sleep, full of years."

"No," said Cersei, "but we must hope that his successor is more vigorous. My friends upon the other hill tell me that it will most like be Torbert or Raynard."

Grand Maester Pycelle cleared his throat. "I have friends among the Most Devout as well, and they speak of Septon Ollidor."

"Do not discount this man Luceon," Qyburn said. "Last night he feted thirty of the Most Devout on suckling pig and Arbor gold, and by day he hands out hardbread to the poor to prove his piety."

Cersei IV, Feast 17

"Septon Ollidor was on the verge of being chosen, until some of these sparrows followed him to a brothel and dragged him nak**ed out into the street. Luceon seems the likely choice now, though our friends on the other hill say that he is still a few votes short of the required number."

Cersei V, Feast 24

He is utterly mad. The Most Devout must have been mad as well, to elevate this creature . . . mad, or terrified of the beggars at their doors. Qyburn's whisperers claimed that Septon Luceon had been nine votes from elevation when those doors had given way, and the sparrows came pouring into the Great Sept with their leader on their shoulders and their axes in their hands.

Cersei VI, Feast 28

Septon Luceon, who nearly became the High Septon, is a son of House Frey...

SEPTON LUCEON, in service at theGreat Sept of Baelor in King's Landing, 

Appendix, Clash

ETA

"The Crown is more than six million gold pieces in debt, Lord Stark. The Lannisters are the biggest part of it, but we have also borrowed from Lord Tyrell, the Iron Bank of Braavos, and several Tyroshi trading cartels. Of late I've had to turn to the Faith. The High Septon haggles worse than a Dornish fishmonger."

Eddard IV, Game 20

Cersei had heard his objections before. "Our lord treasurer is trying to say that we have too many gold cloaks and too little gold." Rosby's coughing had begun to vex her. Perhaps Garth the Gross would not have been so ill. "Though large, the crown incomes are not large enough to keep abreast of Robert's debts. Accordingly, I have decided to defer our repayment of the sums owed the Holy Faith and the Iron Bank of Braavos until war's end." The new High Septon would doubtless wring his holy hands, and the Braavosi would squeak and squawk at her, but what of it? "The monies saved will be used for the building of our new fleet."

Cersei IV, Feast 17

I understand why Cersei allowed the crown to continue to Houses Lannister and Tyrell, but why the Tyroshi trading cartels?

4 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Cersei IV, Feast 17

Cersei V, Feast 24

Cersei VI, Feast 28

Septon Luceon, who nearly became the High Septon, is a son of House Frey...

Appendix, Clash

ETA

Eddard IV, Game 20

Cersei IV, Feast 17

I understand why Cersei allowed the crown to continue to Houses Lannister and Tyrell, but why the Tyroshi trading cartels?

Nice catch on Luceon.

Maybe the debt to Tyroshi cartels wasn't an overwhelming sum that would suck dry the realm's budget, unlike the debt to the IB? The Faith she just want to screw since she doesn't think it has the muscle to force the money from her (as queen regent). For that matter, she also wants to screw the IB because she feels she has been pestered by Tycho Nestoris. She probably thinks "how a bank is going to extort a kingdom?" But the IB has more subtle ways, namely put another king on the IT.

Sends her maid Dorcas to summon Osney, so that Cersei can have Osney seduce Margaery. Osney, of course ends up being tortured and is set to be executed in Winds. Note that when Cersei sends Dorcas after Osney at the beginning of this plot, we learn that Dorcas is in love with Osney. Perhaps Dorcas will blame Cersei for her love's suffering, and perhaps Varys will be able to make use of of that. 

50 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Sends her maid Dorcas to summon Osney, so that Cersei can have Osney seduce Margaery. Osney, of course ends up being tortured and is set to be executed in Winds. Note that when Cersei sends Dorcas after Osney at the beginning of this plot, we learn that Dorcas is in love with Osney. Perhaps Dorcas will blame Cersei for her love's suffering, and perhaps Varys will be able to make use of of that. 

Oooh, good catch.

Question about Ned and Littlefinger's "secret" trip to the brothel to meet Catelyn:

At the foot of the steps was a heavy door of oak and iron. Petyr Baelish lifted the crossbar ad gestured Ned through. They stepped out into the ruddy glow of dusk, on a rocky bluff high above the river. “We’re outside the castle,” Ned said.

. . . The river was a long, dizzying distance below. Ned kept his face pressed to the rock and tried not to look down any more often than he had to.

When at last he reached the bottom, a narrow, mudy trail along the water’s edge, Littlefinger was lazing against a rock and eating an apple. He was almost down to the core. “You are growing old and slow, Stark,” he said, flipping the apple casually into the rushing water. “No matter, we ride the rest of the way.” He had two horses waiting. Ned mounted up and trotted behind him, down the trail and into the city.

When you look at the map of King's Landing, the river is clearly outside the city wall. To ride horses into the city, Ned and Petyr would have to pass through a gate where guards would presumably see them. Varys probably also has spies lurking around gates to report on the arrival or departure of notable people. So doesn't use of a gate at this point defeat the purpose of climbing down the bluff?

I think there's important symbolism contained in the detail of Petyr eating the apple and throwing it into a river, which is why GRRM has the two men end up outside of the wall of the city. I suspect it has to do with Petyr, years earlier, dueling with Brandon Stark until Brandon stepped into the river outside the gates of Riverrun.

Am I being too picky, or do you agree that it doesn't quite work to have the two guys making a huge effort to be top secret then ride horses through a gate to get back into the city?

I think that AGOT was written with the river inside the gates. It would also be a problem when Arya goes to the port following Ned's arrest despite all gates being heavily guarded. GRRM probably then changed it for the Battle of the Blackwater.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

I think that AGOT was written with the river inside the gates. It would also be a problem when Arya goes to the port following Ned's arrest despite all gates being heavily guarded. GRRM probably then changed it for the Battle of the Blackwater.

This. Arya walks up to the Wind Witch without passing through a gate in her last chapter in Game. 

Arya likes to mimick people when they are hurt (after hurting her friends).

“And you’re only a butcher’s boy, and no knight.” Joffrey lifted Lion’s Tooth and laid its point on Mycah’s cheek below the eye, as the butcher’s boy stood trembling. “That was my lady’s sister you were hitting, do you know that?” A bright bud of blood blossomed where his sword pressed into Mycah’s flesh, and a slow red line trickled down the boy’s cheek. “Stop it!” Arya screamed. She grabbed up her fallen stick. Sansa was afraid. “Arya, you stay out of this.” “I won’t hurt him … much,” Prince Joffrey told Arya, never taking his eyes off the butcher’s boy.

The direwolf let go of Joffrey and moved to Arya’s side. The prince lay in the grass, whimpering, cradling his mangled arm. His shirt was soaked in blood. Arya said, “She didn’t hurt you … much.” She picked up Lion’s Tooth where it had fallen, and stood over him, holding the sword with both hands.

Again in WoW

First CoK

One of the spearmen drifted over to Lommy. “Something wrong with your leg, boy?” “It got hurt.” “Can you walk?” He sounded concerned. “No,” said Lommy. “You got to carry me.” “Think so?” The man lifted his spear casually and drove the point through the boy’s soft throat. Lommy never even had time to yield again. He jerked once, and that was all. When the man pulled his spear loose, blood sprayed out in a dark fountain. “Carry him, he says,” he muttered, chuckling.

Spoiler

From Mercy, WoW. Arya says the same thing to Raff.

App won't let me copy the text, sorry for that.

Sorry if it has been brought up before. 

Archived