Why wasn't Tyrion knighted after the battle of blackwater?

tombru

Over 600 people were made knights after the battle of the blackwater and most of these people were sell swords or lowly men at arms on the kings landing side of the river whose greatest achievement was surviving. Lancel was even made a lord. Yet Tyrion who thought of the chain and took the place of a kingsguard to lead the sortie which probably saved the city gets nothing. Surely Balon Swann or some of the men in his sortie would have said something. It doesn't make sense.

At that point he was still heir apparent to Casterly Rock so there wasn't any real need for reward not that the 3 most responsible for handing them out would have given him one, Tyrion could have slain Stannis himself and he wouldn't have got so much as a nod of approval from his father, sister and nephew.  One of them even went so far as to try to assassinate him mid-battle.

35 minutes ago, GallowsKnight said:

I feel like everyone is forgetting Tywin actually had plans to make Tyrion Lord-Protector of Winterfell by marrying him to Sansa and making his heirs Lords of the North.

That's a pretty good deal. It obviously didn't work out. But it's more than a Knighthood.

That's less a reward for Tyrion and more a punishment for Sansa and the North itself. Tywin intended to put a claim on a rebellious kingdom and what better way to put them in their place than by taking the last surviving member of their ruling family and marrying them to second son who is also a dwarf?

54 minutes ago, The Ice Wolf of Loki said:

That sounds more like a way to get him assassinated by pissed off Northmen.

Just because someone is expendable, doesn't make them useless. If Tyrion didn't die the Lannister agenda is enhanced. If he does. Well that's not so bad.

41 minutes ago, King Floki of the Ironborn said:

That's less a reward for Tyrion and more a punishment for Sansa and the North itself. Tywin intended to put a claim on a rebellious kingdom and what better way to put them in their place than by taking the last surviving member of their ruling family and marrying them to second son who is also a dwarf?

Why can't it be both? Even if it  furthers Tywin's agenda and humiliates the North, it is still making Tyrion a rich and powerful man (if he can survive). Kevan and Tywin suggest Lancel might be up to it if Tyrion doesn't (though that might have just been a ploy).

The best way to put a claim on North is to marry Sansa to kinda good looking Lancel. Tywin chose less practical option to give his son good marriage.

In ASoS Tyrion I I actually side with Tywin, Tyrion is a spiteful little creature full of hate and someone said Tyrion could have killed Stannis to get Tywins nod, well now that goes other way, whatever Tywin does (with exception of Rock) wont make Tyrion happy. And I dont get why he demanded Rock, if Jaime stays in KG which is what he desires Tyrion is the lord by rights. Oh yes, and he was right about Tyrion organising drunken orgies in Rock or marring a whore again, that brings shame to house.

The old lion knew how to convince people to do the dirty work only to get the illusion of being rewarded for it. Take Roose Bolton as an example. He was appointed Lord Paramount of the North after killing Robb Stark. However to fulfill that role he would have to calm the North who hated the Boltons and get rid of the Ironborn. Once that was achieved he would then handle the North to Tyrion and Sansa's son like some loyal subject.

Same thing happened to Tyrion. He risked his life at Blackwater's bay and the reward was marrying Joffrey's unwanted toy, a woman who hates the Lannisters with all her heart and might as well murder him in his sleep. If Tywin had his way, Tyrion would spend the rest of his life in KL as a member of the small council, while breeding new Lannister-Stark children who would one day rule the North.  

On one hand Tyrion did get snubbed by Tywin very, very badly and he was rightly pissed off that he didn't gain anything after the Battle of Blackwater - at least if we look only at Tyrion's performance related to the battle (including preparations).

On the other hand, in the broader context, Tyrion has made a ton of mistakes and acted poorly. He wasted no time slapping the king (by comparison even knights could lose their limb if they struck royal nephews as seen in Dunk and Egg), poisoning his sister, threatening to whip his nephew for a whore, etc. Looking over Tyrion's life as a whole - his only positive contribution to the welfare of House Lannister was the defense of King's Landing culminating with the Battle of the Blackwater.

2 hours ago, devilish said:

The old lion knew how to convince people to do the dirty work only to get the illusion of being rewarded for it. Take Roose Bolton as an example. He was appointed Lord Paramount of the North after killing Robb Stark. However to fulfill that role he would have to calm the North who hated the Boltons and get rid of the Ironborn. Once that was achieved he would then handle the North to Tyrion and Sansa's son like some loyal subject.

Same thing happened to Tyrion. He risked his life at Blackwater's bay and the reward was marrying Joffrey's unwanted toy, a woman who hates the Lannisters with all her heart and might as well murder him in his sleep. If Tywin had his way, Tyrion would spend the rest of his life in KL as a member of the small council, while breeding new Lannister-Stark children who would one day rule the North.

Roose got a pretty nice deal - Lord Paramount of the North for as long as he (and his descendants) could keep it. Tywin just wasn't expecting that to be a very long time.

Tywin also explicitly tells Tyrion that he can very well get to rule as regent in Winterfell for his children (which makes perfect sense) and being a member of the Small Council is hardly a huge imposition (unless you make a habit out of slapping and humiliating the king).

6 hours ago, The Ice Wolf of Loki said:

At that point he was still heir apparent to Casterly Rock so there wasn't any real need for reward not that the 3 most responsible for handing them out would have given him one, Tyrion could have slain Stannis himself and he wouldn't have got so much as a nod of approval from his father, sister and nephew.  One of them even went so far as to try to assassinate him mid-battle.

He never really was the heir apparent to anything.

I think Tywin would have gladly picked any nephew over him if it ever came to that.

Or any grandchildren. Joffrey becomes king, but Tommen or even Myrcella might end up being heirs to Casterly Rock. A son comes before an uncle, and Tyrion is an uncle.

He was made MoC thus remained part of the small council, people who aren't that well liked by the people the continent over. Married to the daughter of a man that for all intent and purpose was a "traitor" who tried to remove the "true born" son of the beloved King Robert I before he was cold in his deathbed, and Lord of Winterfell in a land where the banner men are fiercely loyal to the Starks (( Except... you know... Boltons' and Karstarks'... I don't know so much happening in Dance that it's hard to be sure who's what)) and would be hard put to even keep the remains of the town and castle. The fact that he got very little credit for his leadership and defense of KL when shit hit the fan, and snubbed for it as Tywin and the Tyrells got the credit he deserved, these rewards are as poisonous as Eurons' to Victarion. Not to mention all the hate, and slights and laughing he endured, he felt after all he went through, that after doing what he could to keep his nephew and family in power, that the Rock would be a suitable "reward", though it's his by rights. I mean, Jaime is a King's guard, Cersei is a woman (( don't even start with sexism, it sucks, but it was the medieval times, wasn't pretty)) Tywin was so stubbornly proud of his Family name, and their prestige that he couldn't see that Tyrion was truly his son ((I don't know how Genna Lannister had put it)) instead focusing on his killing of Joanna, his wife. Tyrion is not the fighter, in fact, he really only fights to prove something to his father, or if all hell breaks loose. A knighthood..... Ser Tyrion the Ant, Ser Tyrion the Knee cutter... not quite becoming. Sorry.

I actually disagree with you guys. I do think the North is a good reward for Tyrion. It's the largest of the 7 kingdoms and Winterfell is one of the nicest castles in Westeros. Tywin always planned to get Jaime to get the Rock. also about Sansa hating Lannisters, she really hates 3 lannisters, Cersei Joffrey and Tywin (well atleast after RW). She liked Myrcella and Tommen, and she had conflicted feelings towards Tyrion. Tyrion also hates those three Lannisters. I think eventually their relations would become similar to that in the show. Heck the northmen might not kill Tyrion if Sansa eventually likes him. I have the feeling if Tyrion ever did have a son that son would wipe out the Boltons and Freys. Stark heart with Lannister brains. 

12 minutes ago, Abdallah said:

I actually disagree with you guys. I do think the North is a good reward for Tyrion. It's the largest of the 7 kingdoms and Winterfell is one of the nicest castles in Westeros. Tywin always planned to get Jaime to get the Rock. also about Sansa hating Lannisters, she really hates 3 lannisters, Cersei Joffrey and Tywin (well atleast after RW). She liked Myrcella and Tommen, and she had conflicted feelings towards Tyrion. Tyrion also hates those three Lannisters. I think eventually their relations would become similar to that in the show. Heck the northmen might not kill Tyrion if Sansa eventually likes him. I have the feeling if Tyrion ever did have a son that son would wipe out the Boltons and Freys. Stark heart with Lannister brains

Lannister brains as in?

So far we've met a few Lannisters, but it's not like the family name is a guarantee for brains: Tytos, Jaime, Cersei, Lancel...

1 hour ago, Hoppy Hour said:

Lannister brains as in?

So far we've met a few Lannisters, but it's not like the family name is a guarantee for brains: Tytos, Jaime, Cersei, Lancel...

Tywin/Tyrion brain. 

3 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Knighthood? Tyrion doesn't need no stinking knighthood.

He's not in the fighting business, which knighthood is all about. It would be totally irrelevant to his character to be knighted. Why would this even be a question?

Why would this even be a a question? I'm going to go with his impressive feats while engaged in the fighting business. These things typically lead to knighthoods.

Archived