NHL 2015-16: We finally needed a new thread!

Joe Pesci

7 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Can we just Ban Duncan Keith from the league already please....

He should get at least 5-10 games, but I have no clue on if he has any prior disciplinary actions taken against him. That was a bullshit retaliation.

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

He should get at least 5-10 games, but I have no clue on if he has any prior disciplinary actions taken against him. That was a bullshit retaliation.

He has a history...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/chicago-blackhawks-duncan-keith-another-high-sticking-intent-to-injure

if he's back on the ice this year, it's a travesty.  

4 hours ago, Swordfish said:

He has a history...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/chicago-blackhawks-duncan-keith-another-high-sticking-intent-to-injure

if he's back on the ice this year, it's a travesty.  

He will be back on the ice this year and that won't be a travesty because there's no precedent in suspending players that long for an offense like that. I agree, it's dirty, but it doesn't appear that nhl players get large suspensions unless it's a Bertuzzi-like play.  That twat Dennis Wideman cross checked the living hell out of an official whom wasn't even looking in his direction and that suspension got reduced to 10 games, I believe.  Big suspensions in the NHL just don't happen.

25 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

He will be back on the ice this year and that won't be a travesty because there's no precedent in suspending players that long for an offense like that. I agree, it's dirty, but it doesn't appear that nhl players get large suspensions unless it's a Bertuzzi-like play.  That twat Dennis Wideman cross checked the living hell out of an official whom wasn't even looking in his direction and that suspension got reduced to 10 games, I believe.  Big suspensions in the NHL just don't happen.

Fair point. 

Another big win tonight by these red-hot Pens! Much needed going into the weekend with huge games against the islanders and flyers, should be a great weekend of hockey. I still can't get over how lopsided the Daley/Scuderi trade has been. What a steal.

As shite as Sportsnet is up here, I appreciate that they regularly broadcast good matchups that don't involve canadian teams, like this one. 

Anyway, these pens are scary as fuck. They simply outclassed the Preds everywhere, and have been doing that lately to every opponent. 

Also how has Justin Schultz been for you guys? From what I saw today his role isn't extensive but he appeared to be pretty effective. 

Which first round matchups are you hoping for? Now that a Rangers-Islanders series is unlikely, here's my top three:

Blues vs Blackhawks - these division rivals last met in the 2014 playoffs

Stars vs Wild - the former North Stars against the current Minnesota team

Lightning vs Red Wings - but Detroit needs to win most of their remaining games to reach the playoffs

17 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Another big win tonight by these red-hot Pens! Much needed going into the weekend with huge games against the islanders and flyers, should be a great weekend of hockey. I still can't get over how lopsided the Daley/Scuderi trade has been. What a steal.

Agreed.

Malkin skated yesterday, but appeared to have almost no use of his left hand.  I'd be surprised if he's back anytime soon.

On 4/1/2016 at 0:08 AM, Jabronius Maximus said:

Also how has Justin Schultz been for you guys? From what I saw today his role isn't extensive but he appeared to be pretty effective. 

Very useful considering the massacre that hit the blue line recently.  He pinches really, really hard and its nerve-wracking, but it also helps keep up the stupidly high zone possession % the Pens have.  They also have been giving up dangerously large numbers of 2-1s the wrong way, but Fleury and Murray have been bailing them out.  He's been working out well, I think, and contributing more than he's hurting.  A very budget Letang, maybe.  

Daley/Scuderi was an insane steal, yes.  

Yeah gotta agree on Schultz, he has come in handy with the injuries. His game fits well with what the Pens ask their D to do. Rutherford has seemingly made all the right moves this year on the trade front. They lack a big hitter and the physicality that most teams need to advance in the playoffs, but their speed offsets it. I'm interested to see how it translates in the playoffs. 

Also, they quietly (at least to me) are gonna top 100 points this season. Didn't expect that in January.

2 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Keith gets 6 games, which means 1 playoff game.  Player Safety remains a joke.  

E: MAF out with a concussion.  Shit.  At least Murray is pretty damn good.  Injury God hates the Penguins.

Son of a bitch it never ends! 

14 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

Very useful considering the massacre that hit the blue line recently.  He pinches really, really hard and its nerve-wracking, but it also helps keep up the stupidly high zone possession % the Pens have.  They also have been giving up dangerously large numbers of 2-1s the wrong way, but Fleury and Murray have been bailing them out.  He's been working out well, I think, and contributing more than he's hurting.  A very budget Letang, maybe.  

Daley/Scuderi was an insane steal, yes.  

Yeah up here he was gifted (didn't earn) about 25 minutes/g of icetime, and it was frustrating watching him constantly miss assignments and make bad puck decisions. Being sheltered in Pittsburgh can only help his development, as he clearly has some talent.  

And the team keeps on rolling, as they just stomped out the Isles. Assuming they make it to round 2, the series vs the Caps should be a phenomenal one. 

8 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

And the Pens do it again! There's no quit in this team now, and I'm really enjoying it.

Yeah what a win. Reminiscent of our team of old when no deficit was too much to come back from. It was against the Sens, but so hot right now can't help but to be excited.

Just now, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah what a win. Reminiscent of our team of old when no deficit was too much to come back from. It was against the Sens, but so hot right now can't help but to be excited.

3 games in 4 days, while clinched for the playoffs, can probably take a bit of urgency out of someone.  I hope Sheary's okay and wasn't ritually sacrificed to the injury roster to ensure the win. :P

20 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

3 games in 4 days, while clinched for the playoffs, can probably take a bit of urgency out of someone.  I hope Sheary's okay and wasn't ritually sacrificed to the injury roster to ensure the win. :P

Har! Let's hope not. I didn't really give too much thought about Malkin's return before, but now it's almost hard to ignore. How could you possibly break up the first 2 lines? At the same time, it's Malkin.... The guy is world class, no doubt, but I wouldn't mess with the top 6 right now. Mark Madden said he'd put Malkin in between Fehr and Bennett. I guess that makes sense. Who else would you put with him? Cullen will be your fourth line center at that point. Yikes what a situation!!!!

On 4/2/2016 at 8:29 AM, MerenthaClone said:

Keith gets 6 games, which means 1 playoff game.  Player Safety remains a joke.  

E: MAF out with a concussion.  Shit.  At least Murray is pretty damn good.  Injury God hates the Penguins.

This could be a blessing in disguise.  I have high expectations for Murray.  He just looks really really poised back there.  it will be good to get an extended look at him.

With the Pens cap situation, if they think Murray is the real deal, you have to at least consider putting Fluery on the block.

4 hours ago, Swordfish said:

This could be a blessing in disguise.  I have high expectations for Murray.  He just looks really really poised back there.  it will be good to get an extended look at him.

With the Pens cap situation, if they think Murray is the real deal, you have to at least consider putting Fluery on the block.

While I agree that moving Murray up would probably be the cap smart move, Fleury is loved here.  Loved. People would flip their shit.

And yes, I would put Malkin on the 3rd and give all three lines relatively equal time.  It'd mean that for 50m a game, you would have one of Malkin, Crosby, and the Kessel-hagelin pairing, and that's a ton of constant pressure.  Of course, now that I know that Madden is in favor, I might reconsider.

Archived