Rant and Rave without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers Part 2

WolfQueenArya

10 minutes ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

He seemed serious about it, the part that HBO has a trained sniper ready to take him out if he revealed it seemed to be a joke

The sniper part "seemed" to be a joke? I don't buy it. Martin may very well have told actors some intersting things about their characters, but I don't believe for a second he'd give away a major secret to anyone, regardless of how much he trusts them. 

More on the alleged "secret":

This was a couple of years ago. It was the first time I met him, and I was awestruck. He said, ‘I’ve got something to tell you.’ And he leaned in and he told me this secret. He said, ‘Don’t tell anybody.’ So I’m not.” 

So, supposedly Martin told Cunningham this "secret" 5 mins after meeting him for the first time, he just leaned in and spat it out, completely out of the blue? Nah, not buying it at all. 

That seems odd, though didn't Alfie say GRRM told him the truth about Jon Snow back in season 2 or 3?  You know, back when the cast members spoke about the story and the books and the author, the good ole days....when there were no rants, only nitpicks.

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

That seems odd, though didn't Alfie say GRRM told him the truth about Jon Snow back in season 2 or 3?  You know, back when the cast members spoke about the story and the books and the author, the good ole days....when there were no rants, only nitpicks.

Gods remember when the good days when the worst change D&D had done was Talisa 

12 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

More on the alleged "secret":

This was a couple of years ago. It was the first time I met him, and I was awestruck. He said, ‘I’ve got something to tell you.’ And he leaned in and he told me this secret. He said, ‘Don’t tell anybody.’ So I’m not.” 

So, supposedly Martin told Cunningham this "secret" 5 mins after meeting him for the first time, he just leaned in and spat it out, completely out of the blue? Nah, not buying it at all. 

Hey if

Spoiler

Davos is AA

then GRRM would want the actor to know so he understands his arch

12 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, kind of my point. If Martin told Theon Alfie (that was not intentional lol) that R+L=J, how big a secret that is, really? Just google Jon Snow's parents and voilà. Hell, I found this forum ages ago, long before signing up by doing a Google search on that question. The most I'm willing to concede here is maybe he told Liam some minor thing that hasn't been fully revealed yet, and Liam thinks it's some huge secret. Also, not that long ago Cunningham said that Martin 'sees the actors from GoT when writing' (paraphrasing), and Martin said the opposite, that he's been writing these characters for 20+ years and has had his own image in his head long before the show was even an idea. 

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, kind of my point. If Martin told Theon Alfie (that was not intentional lol) that R+L=J, how big a secret that is, really? Just google Jon Snow's parents and voilà. Hell, I found this forum ages ago, long before signing up by doing a Google search on that question. The most I'm willing to concede here is maybe he told Liam some minor thing that hasn't been fully revealed yet, and Liam thinks it's some huge secret. Also, not that long ago Cunningham said that Martin 'sees the actors from GoT when writing' (paraphrasing), and Martin said the opposite, that he's been writing these characters for 20+ years and has had his own image in his head long before the show was even an idea. 

With respect, GRRM somewhat contradicts himself on a lot of the stuff related to the show.  First it was an adaptation and the books were canon, then it was Scarlet O'Hara's children and the books are the books the show is the show.  He definitely said he loved Osha and I think he may have said something to the effect of he has to work? concentrate to keep the show actors out of his head when writing or something like that.

All reasons why he should have buckled down YEARS ago and prevented all of this hellish madness going on.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

With respect, GRRM somewhat contradicts himself on a lot of the stuff related to the show.  First it was an adaptation and the books were canon, then it was Scarlet O'Hara's children and the books are the books the show is the show.  He definitely said he loved Osha and I think he may have said something to the effect of he has to work? concentrate to keep the show actors out of his head when writing or something like that.

All reasons why he should have buckled down YEARS ago and prevented all of this hellish madness going on.

I think, and I'm not 100% sure, that with Tena what he said is that she was so amazing that he planned on expanding Osha's role in the books. Again on Alfie, I'm not even sure if he told him R+L=R or just that it'd be a "Luke Skywalker type twist", and I think it was a reply to Alfie's "who's Jon Snow's mum". 

Regardless, I don't think he'd give any big secret away to so,Rome he met 5 mins before. 

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think, and I'm not 100% sure, that with Tena what he said is that she was so amazing that he planned on expanding Osha's role in the books. Again on Alfie, I'm not even sure if he told him R+L=R or just that it'd be a "Luke Skywalker type twist", and I think it was a reply to Alfie's "who's Jon Snow's mum". 

Regardless, I don't think he'd give any big secret away to so,Rome he met 5 mins before. 

That kinda gives it away though, doesn't it?  LOL. Secret son of noble birth.... I don't think Davos is AA, he'll be lucky to stay alive at the end, and I also doubt that GRRM gave anything significant away either.

The more actors talk....the more you wish they would stop talking in their real voices....because so much of what they say is silly and/or nonsensical.

Can't edit the post above. Obviously, R+L=R was a typo, I don't think Rhaegar and Lyanna are Rickon's parents. :P

As to the contradictions, it's an adaptation, to Scarlett's kids, to books and show are different... Well, I don't really see any contradiction there. It's pretty much what we've been saying all along. It started as a proper adaptation, then it got wonky, and now it's a completely different thing. 

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

That kinda gives it away though, doesn't it?  LOL. Secret son of noble birth.... I don't think Davos is AA, he'll be lucky to stay alive at the end, and I also doubt that GRRM gave anything significant away either.

The more actors talk....the more you wish they would stop talking in their real voices....because so much of what they say is silly and/or nonsensical.

Yeah, I think reading/watching interviews is becoming almost as painful as watching the show. Mostly b/c the two are so hugely different now, the characters have different motivations, the plot is all over the place, and the actors don't know, they just know what's going on in the show. But for those who have read the books, a lot of what they say makes zero sense. Not their fault, but it's a fact. Like Rheon saying we'll see a different side to Ramsay. Ehrm... There isn't one. :lol:

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think that was a joke. Just Cunnigham playing around. 

I thought that, as well. I mean, in the very next exchange with Conan, there's a red laser pointer on his chest. I seriously lawled. 

Maisie, bless her teenage heart,  needs to spend some time studying Liam doing promotional interviews. He's very funny, very supportive of the show (and hells yes, I know how it is in a public sphere, I worked in the American news media for years, for some supreme *es, but I'd never badmouth them, nor the customers who gave us their cash for our labors), and very good at being both charming and engaging without giving much away.

He's also mature, and Maisie is not, but gods be good, she has been nasty about the books, and THE SHOW WOULD NOT EXIST WITHOUT THEM. Martin has written the LOTR of our times. When WoW's publication date comes out, preorders alone will put it atop the bestseller lists worldwide.  Even in this appearance on Conan, Liam shows deference to GRRM and makes light of HBO's "security." 

I also find Carice van Houten very funny, very charming, and surprisingly sharp in her interviews, and I love it when she openly criticizes the disparate amount of nudity between the sexes. Emilia Clarke did some of that recently, but it didn't come off as well. She renegotiated and hasn't had to get naked to entertain the male gaze in the past few seasons, so suggesting that the show just strip off all the male actors and focus on their penises is a little grating. To do that would be to do what D&D have done with all those Craster wives/various prostitutes/Dothraki victims in Weiseroff: exploit actors. 

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, I think reading/watching interviews is becoming almost as painful as watching the show. Mostly b/c the two are so hugely different now, the characters have different motivations, the plot is all over the place, and the actors don't know, they just know what's going on in the show. But for those who have read the books, a lot of what they say makes zero sense. Not their fault, but it's a fact. Like Rheon saying we'll see a different side to Ramsay. Ehrm... There isn't one. :lol:

Yes, painful in a different way.  

6 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

I thought that, as well. I mean, in the very next exchange with Conan, there's a red laser pointer on his chest. I seriously lawled. 

Maisie, bless her teenage heart,  needs to spend some time studying Liam doing promotional interviews. He's very funny, very supportive of the show (and hells yes, I know how it is in a public sphere, I worked in the American news media for years, for some supreme *es, but I'd never badmouth them, nor the customers who gave us their cash for our labors), and very good at being both charming and engaging without giving much away.

He's also mature, and Maisie is not, but gods be good, she has been nasty about the books, and THE SHOW WOULD NOT EXIST WITHOUT THEM. Martin has written the LOTR of our times. When WoW's publication date comes out, preorders alone will put it atop the bestseller lists worldwide.  Even in this appearance on Conan, Liam shows deference to GRRM and makes light of HBO's "security." 

I also find Carice van Houten very funny, very charming, and surprisingly sharp in her interviews, and I love it when she openly criticizes the disparate amount of nudity between the sexes. Emilia Clarke did some of that recently, but it didn't come off as well. She renegotiated and hasn't had to get naked to entertain the male gaze in the past few seasons, so suggesting that the show just strip off all the male actors and focus on their penises is a little grating. To do that would be to do what D&D have done with all those Craster wives/various prostitutes/Dothraki victims in Weiseroff: exploit actors. 

Well said, Cunningham is very good at handling it all. But yeah, he is a mature actor, experience counts a lot here. I thought he was excellent, too, and very funny. Emilia, otoh, blaming stuff on Martin for changes the show made... :/

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Well said, Cunningham is very good at handling it all. But yeah, he is a mature actor, experience counts a lot here. I thought he was excellent, too, and very funny. Emilia, otoh, blaming stuff on Martin for changes the show made... :/

I think I missed something?

Particularly this line:

"Yes. Well, Daenerys and Khal Drogo's arranged marriage, and the customary rape that followed—ask George R.R. Martin why he did that, 'cause that's on him. But I thought the consensual sex she has thereafter was genius. She is physically saying, "You can't rape me again. I'm going to be in control and show you something you've never seen before."

Well, she allegedly walked around with the book, but maybe she was just using it as a doorstop. Because that ain't how it happened. 

Archived