College Basketball 2016-17: Trippin' Ain't Easy

Ded As Ned

It's not so much that I hate UNC in particular, it is that there is no equality under the rules when it comes to the NCAA.  Womens basketball was alone in the violations?  What a crock of bullshit.  If this had happened at WVU the NCAA would have firebombed Morgantown.  I don't care to see any program in particular get the hammer, but I would like it if the NCAA at least tried to pretend that the standards are equally applied.  Someone(s) with influence and UNC connections applied pressure and the NCAA caved and proved once again that they have no spine.  UNC and NCAA must have agreed to let the Women's program take the fall.  Pretty gross.  

1 hour ago, S John said:

It's not so much that I hate UNC in particular, it is that there is no equality under the rules when it comes to the NCAA.  Womens basketball was alone in the violations?  What a crock of bullshit.  If this had happened at WVU the NCAA would have firebombed Morgantown.  I don't care to see any program in particular get the hammer, but I would like it if the NCAA at least tried to pretend that the standards are equally applied.  Someone(s) with influence and UNC connections applied pressure and the NCAA caved and proved once again that they have no spine.  UNC and NCAA must have agreed to let the Women's program take the fall.  Pretty gross.  

Yes.  I have seen it bandied about questioning whether this could rise to a Title IX federal investigation.  :dunno: 

I don't know that I believe it could since it is the NCAA and not the university that it supposedly in charge.  Again, I'm disgusted but not surprised by the entire thing.  As you say, no one believes that other schools would get this same treatment.  They also conveniently moved the date of the allegations from 2002 to the fall of 2005 in this most recent notice.  Anyone care to guess when UNC won a men's basketball title?  Its not hard to figure out... 

If I was a UofL fan, I'd be spitting mad right now.  Louisville did what conventional wisdom has said a school should do when violations are discovered:  self impose and hope that the NCAA will accept those penalties.  UNC stonewalled and delayed and then got off essentially scott free in the sports they actually care about.  I'd also be angry if I was Jim Boeheim.  He was set to finish as the second winningest coach in college basketball history, and then the NCAA comes along and says a few hundred of those didn't count because a few students were getting too much help from a tutor.  Meanwhile, on Tobacco Road entire generations of athletes are taking fake classes and nothing happens.  Donnie Tyndall got a 10 year show cause for improper allegations with a couple of JUCO students.  Bruce Pearl got a three year show cause for hosting a cookout at his house at the wrong time of year!!!!  Kelvin Sampson sent too many texts and hasn't been able to return to the college ranks.

Daggum Roy?  Nothing to see here folks.  Move along.

:leaving: 

48 minutes ago, Rhom said:

They also conveniently moved the date of the allegations from 2002 to the fall of 2005 in this most recent notice.

As the start date?  I don't see how either '02 or '05 as a start or end date conforms with the known dates of the paper classes from '93-'11. 

49 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Bruce Pearl got a three year show cause for hosting a cookout at his house at the wrong time of year!!!!

Winter? ;) 

12 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

As the start date?  I don't see how either '02 or '05 as a start or end date conforms with the known dates of the paper classes from '93-'11. 

I didn't say it made sense or was consistent with everything we knew...

CBS Sports' very vanilla take on the NOA.

Allegation No. 4: From the 2005 fall semester through the 2011 summer semester, the University of North Carolina violated the NCAA Principle of Rules Compliance in its failure to monitor the ASPSA and the African and Afro-American Studies department.

That's the only date mentioned in there that I can see.  :dunno: 

• 2 weeks later...

Washington makes a huge play for 2017 Michael Porter Jr.

The headline "School hires top recruit's father" is certainly something we see all too often.  It caught my eye here too.  After reading the article, I do think this one stinks less than most others though.  Turns out Michael Porter Sr is an assistant coach of the women's team at Mizzou, so he already has more experience than most who get this kind of golden ticket.  The real kicker for me though is the fact that Romar is the godfather for Porter Jr and his younger brother Jontay.  (Who is a 2018 UW commit.)  So the combination of D1 experience and a personal relationship between coach and the new assistant makes this more palatable to me.

Porter Jr says this doesn't necessarily make UW the leader... but I'll be shocked if he goes anywhere else at this point.

The comments on the article I linked (from a Kentucky site) point out the famous line from Jay Bilas about the message for the next Ben Simmons being "Just go to Kentucky."  I'm not so sure its that simple though.  :dunno: 

6 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

I'd say I was at a 6/10 :cheers:  Derby day bourbon 

Damn shame that Old Forrester is now the "Official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby."  Ruins a good mint julip.  Never use anything lower shelf than Woodford in that.

• 2 weeks later...

Marques Bolden Day!  Decision coming in about an hour and a half.

I won't pretend to know which way it's going, but it might be worth tuning in just to see his mom go crazy and flip over the table if he picks UK!

:lol:

On 5/10/2016 at 5:58 PM, Rhom said:

Damn shame that Old Forrester is now the "Official Bourbon of the Kentucky Derby."  Ruins a good mint julip.  Never use anything lower shelf than Woodford in that.

I'm of the opinion that good bourbon is meant to be drank straight up, neat, or on the rocks. :leaving:

55 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Marques Bolden Day!  Decision coming in about an hour and a half.

I won't pretend to know which way it's going, but it might be worth tuning in just to see his mom go crazy and flip over the table if he picks UK!

:lol:

Haha that would be great! It was interesting the timing of Matthews' transfer announcement, conveniently freeing up another scholarship. 

4 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I'm of the opinion that good bourbon is meant to be drank straight up, neat, or on the rocks. :leaving:

My wife agrees... Except for the on the rocks part.  She doesn't think it should be diluted at all.  Interestingly, over at Charred in Louisville (restaurant inside the Marriott East) they have a new process that makes ice out of bourbon!  So you can get a glass of Woodford chilled with ice made of Woodford that never dilutes while you drink it!

The Matthews timing is interesting.  He had that surgery a couple weeks back and tweeted out with all the usual BBN hastags.  So part of me believes it was a recent decision. :dunno:

If Briscoe stays in the draft, we will be very thin in the back court.  Brad Calipari might see the floor after all!!!! :lol: 

Yea I'm really hoping Briscoe comes back and spends all summer working on his confidence (i.e. shot).  

Well Cal did say that Brad will play.  Don't forget about Johnny David as well.  :P

In seriousness, we'll still have Hawkins and Mulder to back up Monk and Fox... Willis could probably swing over to the 2 for short stints in an emergency.  

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

My wife agrees... Except for the on the rocks part.  She doesn't think it should be diluted at all.  Interestingly, over at Charred in Louisville (restaurant inside the Marriott East) they have a new process that makes ice out of bourbon!  So you can get a glass of Woodford chilled with ice made of Woodford that never dilutes while you drink it!

I like one big ice cube or rocks so it doesn't get diluted but still stays cold. My grandfather swears by a splash of water to open up the flavor. I'll drink it neat too and be happy though. I just never mix my bourbon (like a Blatons) with anything unless it's something like Jack which I don't rate.

17 hours ago, Mexal said:

I like one big ice cube or rocks so it doesn't get diluted but still stays cold. My grandfather swears by a splash of water to open up the flavor. I'll drink it neat too and be happy though. I just never mix my bourbon (like a Blatons) with anything unless it's something like Jack which I don't rate.

My wife got me to appreciate the flavor of a neat drink.  Typically I won't mix a decent bourbon, however I do make an exception for an Old Fashioned.  My inner Don Draper has come to appreciate that one quite a bit!  :lol: 

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

My wife got me to appreciate the flavor of a neat drink.  Typically I won't mix a decent bourbon, however I do make an exception for an Old Fashioned.  My inner Don Draper has come to appreciate that one quite a bit!  :lol: 

Hahaha myself as well. I love an Old Fashioned. I have a bottle of rye (my fav for OFs) next to my bitters just in case I want one.

I just recently bought a bar cart to fully channel Mr. Draper. It feels very 60s/70s though is a bit modern. Been spending the last month or two stocking it. Makes me happy.

I like my bourbon returned to the liquor store and exchanged for some scotch.  :smoking:

Actually, I'll drink both, but prefer scotch as I got used to it and now drinking bourbon tastes too sweet to me.  Either way, I like them both neat.

Archived