College Basketball 2016-17: Trippin' Ain't Easy

Ded As Ned

13 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Really good article on Marshall Henderson.  

I've come full circle on this kid.  I'm really pulling for him.

Judging from where he was a couple years ago he could've very easily taken the Manziel route and been a total trainwreck by this point, but he seems to be improving his life and his quality as a human being. Good for him.

27 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Yeah... Not a good look.

When the news first broke that he had been arrested for PI, I shrugged it off.  Once I found out the car was involved, I was less sanguine about the situation.

:(

Don't get the Marshall Henderson stuff. He's always been a bigot and a jerk, and continued to be exactly the same after he went to rehab. Now he's cut back on some of the rhetoric to try to be employable. Not impressed.

8 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

The video is pretty damning.  With that, I imagine he'll sit at least half the season, if he's lucky.  Very well may be kicked off the team.  

You're the first person I've seen bring up the nuclear option.

Its damning, but I think 10-20% of the games on suspension sounds more right in today's environment.  So 5 games or so.

Most of the time I don't think a kid should get booted for a first offence DUI, but definitely should for a second offence. How in the fuck was that not a DUI btw? That video is really bad though, as is his mug shot - the kid was seriously wasted, which shows how horrible his decision making was that night.

3 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Most of the time I don't think a kid should get booted for a first offence DUI, but definitely should for a second offence. How in the fuck was that not a DUI btw? That video is really bad though, as is his mug shot - the kid was seriously wasted, which shows how horrible his decision making was that night.

I've not heard for sure why it didn't rise to DUI.  Perhaps keys weren't in the ignition?

Personally, I take the cynical side and believe that if he weren't a UK player he would have been charged with DUI.

Holy Shit!  Thon Maker might be 23 years old!

Teams are dropping him down the draft board because they think he is likely 21-23 years old instead of 19.  :stunned: 

@Red Eye Ghost Probably pretty luck that Kansas/Kentucky didn't sign him!

(ETA:  I've never used that user tag feature before... dunno even what it does.  :dunno: )

ETA2:  And now I just realized it auto-populated with the wrong user too... @RedEyedGhost

I was going to post this yesterday, but apparently Jon Snow's parentage gets confirmed via infographic and the entire website goes down for the better part of a day.  :tantrum: 

New Western Kentucky head man Rick Stansbury got his first big commit:  #1 center in the class Mitchell Robinson  additionally, Malik Newman took a visit to Bowling Green last week.  Would be a crazy good start for him there if he could land both of them.  The Murray State alum in me looks upon these developments with trepidation.

15 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Crazy that Maker went top 10.  Makes me wonder if that was perpetrated by a team hopping he would slip to the back end of the first round.

Perry Ellis got his first endorsement deal - Perry Ellis.  :lol: 

Also, regarding the Maker top 10 thing.  I've been reading a lot of hand wringing for the last week about what this means when considering that Skal and Diallo went to school and dropped like lead weights.  I still don't think its the end of the world, however... I do think guys like Skal and Diallo who faced serious questions on their eligibility might consider just hitting a year of prep school and avoid showcasing their limitations against stiff competition.

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

I was going to post this yesterday, but apparently Jon Snow's parentage gets confirmed via infographic and the entire website goes down for the better part of a day.  :tantrum: 

New Western Kentucky head man Rick Stansbury got his first big commit:  #1 center in the class Mitchell Robinson  additionally, Malik Newman took a visit to Bowling Green last week.  Would be a crazy good start for him there if he could land both of them.  The Murray State alum in me looks upon these developments with trepidation.

Well, Newman made the smart choice at least.  The list of schools that even offered Robinson was a little strange for a kid ranked that high (LSU, Tulane, Troy, Alabama, DePaul, Murray State, UMass and UAB) - eligibility issues?  And isn't Ayton the #1 center (and overall recruit) in that class?  Another kid with likely eligibility problems.

ETA: Got talking about Robinson and forgot to finish my thoughts on Newman.  The most exciting thing about him, is that he is forced to sit out this coming season and will have that time to get stronger, improve (learn to actually play) defense, be a top flight practice player for our team, and learn a little humility.       

ETA2: How about Terrance Ferguson going overseas?  Should be just as interesting watching that play out as much as Maker's situation was.  He dropped his Alabama commitment after finding out he would be a partial qualifier and not eligible to play this year, committed to Arizona thinking that he would be good there because the PAC12 doesn't do partial qualifiers, but it wasn't happening there either.  Kid must really think he's pro material next year - after watching this year's draft you would think he's be a little worried :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Kinda off-topic, but what do I do during the lazy summer lull between basketball and football season?  I binge watch 30-for-30's, and soccer. 

Andrew Harrison and Devin Booker are tearing up the summer league.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived