College Basketball 2016-17: Trippin' Ain't Easy

Ded As Ned

Life as the "Almost Hero." 

Its from a Kentucky point of view (obviously if I'm posting it!) but I thought this was a nice article on what its like to hit the legendary shot... that isn't.  Sean Woods hit the running bank shot in the lane with 2.1 seconds left to put Kentucky on top of Duke in 1992.  Anthony Epps hit a double clutch three with a defender in his face to tie the 1997 title game with Arizona.  They both talk about how their shots have been forgotten in history much like Paige's shot will be. 

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

Eh... that's a fallacy perpetuated by the crotchety old media.  Much like William Rhoden's assertion last week in the NYT that schools who perpetuate academic fraud (UNC and Cuse) were the perfect antidote to Kentucky's one and done culture.  :rolleyes:   The reality is that you can weather the storm of one or two players only pulling 7 months on campus; but just ask UConn hat happens to your APR if you have it happen repeatedly.

I use UK as an example because I am most familiar with it, but in the entire time Calipari has been in Lexington only Daniel Orton withdrew from school and didn't finish the semester.  I'm sure REG can tell you the same about Kansas recruits and if anyone were to actually claim to be a Duke fan, they could do likewise.

That being said, I don't disagree that the rule should be done away with.  The rule is in place to protect NBA execs from themselves.  Certainly does not benefit the players, which should be the only group we are concerned about.

The story I was half-jokingly referring to above was Thon Maker declaring for the draft.  A student at a prep school in Canada, his argument is that he was actually a member of the class of 2015 and should therefore be eligible for this draft.  Will be interesting to see what the NBA decides on that one. 

Let me preface this by saying that I don't blame Calipari one bit for recruiting one and done kids and helping them get to the league.  They just shouldn't have to pit stop on his campusf or 7 months.

But you're kidding yourself if you think guys like Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins are showing up to english 101 and psychology with regular students. I would almost guarantee you that they're fully in online classes. And that's within the rules as written, so I have zero problem with it, I just think it's a joke that these kids are forced to show up for something they aren't there to do.

And I am also with those who would want the baseball rule in effect, although I'd say 2 years instead of 3.

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

Let me preface this by saying that I don't blame Calipari one bit for recruiting one and done kids and helping them get to the league.  They just shouldn't have to pit stop on his campusf or 7 months.

But you're kidding yourself if you think guys like Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins are showing up to english 101 and psychology with regular students. I would almost guarantee you that they're fully in online classes. And that's within the rules as written, so I have zero problem with it, I just think it's a joke that these kids are forced to show up for something they aren't there to do.

And I am also with those who would want the baseball rule in effect, although I'd say 2 years instead of 3.

I have friends who went to UK and said that there were proctors (or something like that...) who would randomly show up and call out the ballplayers names to be sure they were there.  Some days they'd be there at the beginning of class, some days the middle, but they'd come routinely.

Now that was before the widespread adoption of online classes, but even before that the athletes had to have alternative schedules.  With the NCAA tournament falling in the middle of a semester, the teams are gone from Wednesday through the weekend.  So there are absolutely accommodations made.  However, the athletes do have to complete their course work or the university gets punished. 

Using the Anthony Davis example you brought up, I remember him on Kimmel right after the tourney and he told Jimmy that he had to get back to give a presentation on public speaking in a communications class.  Kimmel made a big deal about it and told him to blow it off.

In the end though, you and I agree more than we disagree on this though. 

I watched the championship game in Charlotte while on a business trip. I just stayed at the hotel bar to avoid the throngs of UNC fans, which yielded a predictably random but interesting crowd watching the game including sausage king Jimmy Dean's nephew and an NFL prospect in town to meet with the Panthers (an OU guy, sperry). Among the watchers were exactly one UNC fan and one Nova fan. The rest of us just had a huge time watching an incredible game. Never seen anything quite like that last sequence.

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Ga Tech targeting Pastner for coaching vacancy. :stunned:

How is this even possible, given Pastner's current contract? Surely Ga Tech isn't willing to pay the rest of what he's owed by U of M. I can't believe they would pay even a portion of it. 

I saw that this morning and was going to post about it later today.  I'm not sure how that works, but I know many Memphis fans wouldn't be sorry to see him go either...

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Tyler-Summitt-resigns-over-inappropriate-relationship-44688403

Oh man..........

Rule 1 as a male women's basketball coach, don't sleep with your players........

.....and certainly don't get one of them pregnant...........

.......especially when you're married with kids.............................

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Tyler-Summitt-resigns-over-inappropriate-relationship-44688403

Oh man..........

Rule 1 as a male women's basketball coach, don't sleep with your players........

.....and certainly don't get one of them pregnant...........

.......especially when you're married with kids.............................

:stunned: 

Yeah...  Bad stuff that.

I have that same tie he's wearing. 

Does anyone else think that hiring a 23 year old to coach a women's college basketball team is a bad idea?  I mean, he's an adult, and obviously responsible for his own (gross) actions, but he isn't going to feel a whole lot of distance from college kids since he just left there. 

53 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I have that same tie he's wearing. 

Does anyone else think that hiring a 23 year old to coach a women's college basketball team is a bad idea?  I mean, he's an adult, and obviously responsible for his own (gross) actions, but he isn't going to feel a whole lot of distance from college kids since he just left there. 

That was my first reaction as well. Obviously he wouldn't have gotten that shot at La Tech (which has a lot of tradition in WBB) had he not been Pat Summitt's son.  

ETA: And now it appears Pastner to Georgia Tech is all but done. Unbelievable. Local media is saying that Memphis will only be asked to make up the difference between the Ga Tech deal and the current contract - a massive bargain and a better outcome than they could possibly have hoped for under any sane set of circumstances. Enjoy a nice run of 13th-place ACC finishes, Jacket fans!

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

ETA: And now it appears Pastner to Georgia Tech is all but done. Unbelievable. Local media is saying that Memphis will only be asked to make up the difference between the Ga Tech deal and the current contract - a massive bargain and a better outcome than they could possibly have hoped for under any sane set of circumstances. Enjoy a nice run of 13th-place ACC finishes, Jacket fans!

Why would Memphis have to pay Pastner anything if he's the one leaving them?  

9 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Why would Memphis have to pay Pastner anything if he's the one leaving them?  

Solid point. :lol:  Typically you see a buyout in these circumstances by the hiring school but since his now-infamous contract has no buyout...??? May just be Pastner's agent blowing smoke about Memphis settling any amount of the deal.

21 minutes ago, sperry said:

Yeah wtf on hiring a 23 year old to coach a college girls basketball team.  I would have been shocked if he WASN'T banging out some of the players.

My thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't automatically assume he'd be chasing his players, but I wouldn't want a 23 year old coaching my non-existent kid's high school team, let alone a collegiate team. He should have been a graduate assistant, at best. 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wouldn't automatically assume he'd be chasing his players, but I wouldn't want a 23 year old coaching my non-existent kid's high school team, let alone a collegiate team. He should have been a graduate assistant, at best. 

But his last name was Summit...

If it hadn't been, then you are exactly right on where he would be on the coaching hierarchy.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Even if he wasn't actively chasing the players, there were still 15+ players who could actively be chasing him. When you put a bunch of kids together like that for 40+ hours a week in any environment, 99% chance they are going to start fucking.

10 minutes ago, sperry said:

Even if he wasn't actively chasing the players, there were still 15+ players who could actively be chasing him. When you put a bunch of kids together like that for 40+ hours a week in any environment, 99% chance they are going to start fucking.

How I do miss college. But yeah, 23 is waaay too young. They were just playing with fire from the start.

Also, Daniel Hamilton hiring an agent. Dude won't even make it on a D league squad and will be in Europe in no time. 

Archived