College Basketball 2016-17: Trippin' Ain't Easy

Ded As Ned

Welp... Crazy season in the books.  

Moving on:  Who wants to talk about Thon Maker declaring for the draft after a year of prep school?!!?

:lol: 

3 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

I live in Vienna now, and I had work this morning. 

Incredible end to the game. BTW, we'll be in Vienna for a few days starting April 30th. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Moving on:  Who wants to talk about Thon Maker declaring for the draft after a year of prep school?!!?

NBA has got to get rid of the one and done rule. It's a farce that these kids show up on campus for 7 months.

10 hours ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Oh, well. Disappointing to wake up to that score, but these things happen. 

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Did you miss the game????

Your heart is probably better off.  Helluva game with a lot of runs both ways.  I know I couldn't go back and watch it later if it had been my team though.

Yeah, trust me MFC, you're better off not having watched it live. That would have been a soul crushing final ten seconds. I'm sure the Dukies and NCState are gleefully trolling the UNC message boards and twitter.

3 hours ago, sperry said:

NBA has got to get rid of the one and done rule. It's a farce that these kids show up on campus for 7 months.

Why shouldnt an athlete be free to enter his future occupation as soon as he's capable of competing? We dont dictate to hospitals, grocers, or air conditioning companies what age their employees need to be? If a company determines an employee has value, they should be free to employ them as long as they meet adult age rules. It's a fundamental freedom to both worker and employer in a open society.

3 hours ago, sperry said:

Eh... that's a fallacy perpetuated by the crotchety old media.  Much like William Rhoden's assertion last week in the NYT that schools who perpetuate academic fraud (UNC and Cuse) were the perfect antidote to Kentucky's one and done culture.  :rolleyes:   The reality is that you can weather the storm of one or two players only pulling 7 months on campus; but just ask UConn hat happens to your APR if you have it happen repeatedly.

I use UK as an example because I am most familiar with it, but in the entire time Calipari has been in Lexington only Daniel Orton withdrew from school and didn't finish the semester.  I'm sure REG can tell you the same about Kansas recruits and if anyone were to actually claim to be a Duke fan, they could do likewise.

That being said, I don't disagree that the rule should be done away with.  The rule is in place to protect NBA execs from themselves.  Certainly does not benefit the players, which should be the only group we are concerned about.

The story I was half-jokingly referring to above was Thon Maker declaring for the draft.  A student at a prep school in Canada, his argument is that he was actually a member of the class of 2015 and should therefore be eligible for this draft.  Will be interesting to see what the NBA decides on that one. 

I support the way baseball does it.  If you want to go pro out of high school, do it.  If not, make a commitment of at least 3 years (preferably four) to your university and get a college education while you work on your game.  Combine that with some better protections of players by the NCAA so that scholarships don't get yanked, and you'd have a much better system.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

I'm glad he's planning that, and I imagine it's because the NCAA said he wouldn't be cleared. The prep school supposedly has his academics in line, but his massive group of hangers on seems to have violated some of the amateur rules.

It was also looking more and more like he was going to commit to us, and I wanted nothing to do with that eligibility nightmare - we've had enough of that in recent years (all cleared, but it's still frustrating).

23 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I support the way baseball does it.  If you want to go pro out of high school, do it.  If not, make a commitment of at least 3 years (preferably four) to your university and get a college education while you work on your game.  Combine that with some better protections of players by the NCAA so that scholarships don't get yanked, and you'd have a much better system.

I 100% agree. I also like the way hockey does it. 

He also had to declare in order for the NBA to determine if he is eligible for the draft or not, due to the pesky "one year removed from high school" rule.  His people are trying to say his 8th grade year was actually his freshman year, and that last year was a "post-grad" year of high school (whatever that is supposed to mean).  I don't buy it unless he actually received his high school diploma last summer, and decided to hang around for whatever reasons.  I hope they let him go pro.  I'm all for the free market.

I also like the baseball rule... and don't they also have something where you can get drafted and still go to college, but the money goes into a trust or something until you're done with your amateur career?  Seems fair to everyone to me.

3 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I also like the baseball rule... and don't they also have something where you can get drafted and still go to college, but the money goes into a trust or something until you're done with your amateur career?  Seems fair to everyone to me.

I am not up to date at all, since most of what I know about baseball drafting is from recently reading Moneyball (2003).  But in that, they described the system where teams can draft high school or college players, and offer contracts to all players they draft.  If a high school player signs an MLB contract, he gives up his NCAA eligibility forever.  If he chooses to go to college, he doesn't sign the contract and therefore receives no money.  Teams must weigh how good a player is against how likely they are to actually sign the contract, because if he doesn't sign within one year, that pick is essentially wasted. 

But please, correct me if I'm wrong, I know very little about baseball, this could be totally outdated or wrong.

38 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think either going full on eligible like the previous rule (not gonna happen in a million years) or going with the baseball model would be for the best.  Perhaps even just saying 2 years of college rather than 3 like baseball.

The hang up is that baseball has a legit farm system that players who are unready for the bigs can be relegated to, while the D league really isn't quite that.  :dunno: 

24 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm glad he's planning that, and I imagine it's because the NCAA said he wouldn't be cleared. The prep school supposedly has his academics in line, but his massive group of hangers on seems to have violated some of the amateur rules.

It was also looking more and more like he was going to commit to us, and I wanted nothing to do with that eligibility nightmare - we've had enough of that in recent years (all cleared, but it's still frustrating).

Yeah, I 'm glad Cal shut down recruitment on the kid.  A lot of energy for a questionable result.  I am interested in seeing what comes of the whole thing.

In quasi related news... Skal Labissiere is signing with an agent.  The hangers on around Maker and Labissiere lead to similar situations.  Best of luck to him.  I wouldn't want to be the NBA exec who ties my reputation to him... but they all think they can extract the diamond from all that coal. 

I think you could get kids to stay for 3 or 4 years if we actually paid them. Just have a base pay for all college athletes (something like $2,000 per month) and let them negotiate endorsement deals independent of the school and you could get a lot of guys to stay. 

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I am not up to date at all, since most of what I know about baseball drafting is from recently reading Moneyball (2003).  But in that, they described the system where teams can draft high school or college players, and offer contracts to all players they draft.  If a high school player signs an MLB contract, he gives up his NCAA eligibility forever.  If he chooses to go to college, he doesn't sign the contract and therefore receives no money.  Teams must weigh how good a player is against how likely they are to actually sign the contract, because if he doesn't sign within one year, that pick is essentially wasted. 

But please, correct me if I'm wrong, I know very little about baseball, this could be totally outdated or wrong.

Me too.  Poking around on google for 5 minutes or so I found this on the mlb draft rules website, which still sounds confusing:

Eligibility: Resident of United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and other United States territories, or anyone enrolled in a United States high school or college. Have never signed major or minor league contract

• High school players: Graduated, and not attended any college. A player that dropped out must be out of school for at least 1 year
  • College players: Completed Junior or Senior year or at least 21 years old
  • Junior college and community college players: Number of years does not matter

Signability: Team retains rights until 11:59 August 15th or if player returns or enters a four-year college full-time. If not signed, player can be drafted again another year if eligible. Unless agreed upon by player, team can not draft player in subsequent year. The notable exception is college seniors, who may sign at any time during the year until the next draft.

So I read that as you either get drafted right out of high school or play 3 years, but if you're drafted after your junior year, you can still go back to college another year (I'm assuming as long as you haven't taken your signing bonus).  :idea:

(don't know why my post quote comment showed up in the quote... don't know how to fix it.

5 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

So I read that as you either get drafted right out of high school or play 3 years, but if you're drafted after your junior year, you can still go back to college another year (I'm assuming as long as you haven't taken your signing bonus).  :idea:

Just because you are drafted doesn't meant you have to sign.  If you do sign, as far as I know, you have given up your NCAA eligibility.  But again, that's just my understanding of it. 

Archived