Which houses would be Dany's allies in Westeros?

blckp

29 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

So if some guy popped up out of nowhere claiming to be the trueborn son of Brandon Stark, you'd be OK with that as long as he was fit to rule the north?

Yes, if by fit you meant he could stabilise it effectively, help it defend from the wights and southern aggression and keep its smallfolk fed through winter. As far as we know Gregor Clegane, Cersei Lannister, Walder Frey and Roose Bolton were trueborn heirs responsible for some of the worst self-serving cruelties in the books. Maegor the cruel was the eldest son of Aegon the Conqueror himself and Aerys II, one of the worst kings in the series was as trueborn son of Jahaerys II who was compassionate but effective in war and the grandson of Aegon the Unlikely who was very charitable and good at justice. That didn't stop Aerys II being awful for the realm, and being trueborn didn't make Viserys fit for the Iron Throne either.

32 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

The most capable leader should claim the realm in his real name. Don't pretend to be someone else. Perhaps pretending to be the rightful heir might work in the real world but this is a fantasy novel. Dany had a vision of a mummer's dragon. She had a vision of a king with no shadow. If it was OK for these characters to pretend then why is she considered the slayer of lies? Do you know about the Blood Betrayal? 

In an ideal world, sure an ideal king should rule under their own name, but Westeros is more complicated than that. Also, her vision of the king with no shadow was Stannis, foreshadowing its assassination of Renly. As for prophecies, they are usually true, but vague enough that they can be misinterpreted and usually have unfortunate ironic consequences. As Tryion says:

"Prophecy is like a half-trained mule. It looks as though it might be useful, but the moment you trust in it, it kicks you in the head"

^ Dance With Dragons p534

Besides, Dany lies through her teeth all the time.

2 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

She was told by the Undying and reminded by Quaithe. Yes, I trust her magical visions and you should place some trust in them too. The Brotherhood without Banners listened to a creepy woman and her prophecies have all turned out to be true...

After seing tonights ep of GoT I can just say I give up, you won. She is AAR, PtwP, SWMTHW, YMBQ, Last Hero, Valonqar, Hooded Man, High Sparrow, Nights King, I would even go as far to say that she is Euron and Daario is her subconciousness.

On 5/14/2016 at 0:05 PM, Paxter Redwyne said:

This actually leaves noone. Daenerys waited too long and now aegon vi took her place as savior of realm. He is brave, well-educated and looks good on a horse. He also isn't lost in hatred as much as dany ( usurper dogs stuff ). And smallfolk do not care really much about reigning dynasty as long as they have peace. If Dany will attack westeros they will only suffer again from war.

You're wrong.  Dany is the liberator of thousands of slaves.  To Westeros, that automatically makes her a hero.  Her dragons prove her identity while there will always be doubts about Aegon.  Oh, and Dany looks good on a dragon. 

3 hours ago, Lord High Papal said:

You're wrong.  Dany is the liberator of thousands of slaves.  To Westeros, that automatically makes her a hero.  Her dragons prove her identity while there will always be doubts about Aegon.  Oh, and Dany looks good on a dragon. 

Problem is that in westeros there are no slaves, so why should anyone care about her liberation of ghiscari cities?

9 hours ago, dariopatke said:

Parentage is not as important as peace is and couple of victories will tell them this can be over soon.

This is comparison of human mind who does change much, in hard wars people go eager and willing to crush enemy, after couple of years of constant death, betrayal, lack of suplies,... they just want it to be over and go home.

Some of them didnt btw. And they were following Tyrells because they had no other option, if someone offers them something real they might turn on Tyrells.

Balon might join Aegons KG, he is good knight and JonCon did say he must keep spots open for nobles. If you say he is KG, he swore a wow,... Well Barristan did it, too. If Lady Mertyns gets her offspring back she might join him. Not very likely, but not impossible. Also they dont need entire Stormlands.

Why?

parentage is everything to nobles it is the very legitimisation off there power over the small folk, and if a couple off victorys is an indication on things being over soon, then it would have been over after robb's victory's or after tywins, neither there victory's ended anything so why would one or two victory's convince the lords that the end is near.

I suggest you read septon meribalds story on broken men it is more accurate to the medieval state of mind during a war.

Only the Redwyn's did not join and that's because paxter's sons where held as hostages, as soon as that was no longer the case he came running. It is true that the Hightowers did not send there full strength but that's just plain prudence not defiance.

Barristan did not break a vow he got send away, big difference and Balon's brother is in the hands of the Lannisters in kings landing. As to needing the whole Stormlands i agree he does not need the whole Stormlands but the point is he is not going to achieve peace before dany arrives.

He will have Dorne, and if he plays his cards right he will have most of the Stormlands the Riverlands and the Crownlands, as to the Reach again if he plays his cards right he may have half of them on his side.

But that leaves the North, Stannis or a revived house Stark, the Vale Littelefinger in whose plans he does not feature or Sansa (basiccaly the revived house Stark again) and the Westerlands who still have a big army.

and to top it all off there is Ser Justin Massey who is hiring 20000 sellsword in essos and is under orders to take the Iron Throne even if Stannis is dead.

@direpupy

It is and this is why he has to lie,it wouldnt because Robb never cared about other parts and Aegon will. Like I said with Robb wanted to fight, now people want it to be over.

Because they have to loyal bannermen until some particular offer doesnt come.I was thinking about his bending knee to Robert.

Yes and LF is game changer, North is weak, they wont have more than 3,4k men. West does have a army but dont have great commanders, I can see them getting Oxcrossed. Vale will be game changer probably, however this can happen kinda fast, but she has to to A LOT of things by then. And by that time Kings peace might not be full but he will have KL.

If we assume that Aegon will have taken Kings Landing by the time she arrives, in alliance with the Dornish, then any House which is opposed to the new regime is a potential ally for Daenerys.

If the Tyrells are opponents of Aegon, then they would be natural allies for Daenerys, especially given that Mace fought for Aerys.  Of course, some of their Bannermen may choose to throw in their lot with the other side.

Other potential allies might be the Lannisters (other than Jaime) who will surely have lost power in Kings Landing, the Freys, who are increasingly beleaguered, and Euron Greyjoy (although allying with him would surely put the Tyrells into the other camp).

Really, the whole situation will surely be hugely complex when she arrives.

3 hours ago, dariopatke said:

@direpupy

It is and this is why he has to lie,it wouldnt because Robb never cared about other parts and Aegon will. Like I said with Robb wanted to fight, now people want it to be over.

Because they have to loyal bannermen until some particular offer doesnt come.I was thinking about his bending knee to Robert.

Yes and LF is game changer, North is weak, they wont have more than 3,4k men. West does have a army but dont have great commanders, I can see them getting Oxcrossed. Vale will be game changer probably, however this can happen kinda fast, but she has to to A LOT of things by then. And by that time Kings peace might not be full but he will have KL.

And you choose to focus on robb ignoring my comment on tywin, the fact is a few victory's mean next to nothing, not after there have been others who had victory's in battle yet still where not able to bring peace. It simple will not be enough to convince the Lord's and these are the ones that need to be convinced. So my point stands he will not have everyone he won't even be close, he will have kingslanding but that means nothing really as the dance of dragons showed us.

As to the North between the 4000 northmen with Stannis the between 4000 to 6000 with Roose and several houses having not show up at all or still holding back some of there strength (like Manderly and Dustin) the North will even after the battles that will take place there in winds, stil have a good amount of troops.

As to the Lannisters GRRM has already introduced two possible candidates to lead them Daven and Damion Lannister, Daven may be killed during his wedding to a Frey but Damion is castellan of Casterly Rock and in no danger of dying anytime soon. There are stong garrisons still in the west and apart from the 2000 men who went with Loras to dragonstone the rest of Tywins army some 18000 went home so they can be recalled into service.

As for the Lannister host, two thousand seasoned veterans remained encamped outside the city walls, awaiting the arrival of Paxter Redwyne's fleet to carry them across Blackwater Bay to Dragonstone. Lord Stannis appeared to have left only a small garrison behind him when he sailed north, so two thousand men would be more than sufficient, Cersei had judged.

The rest of the westermen had gone back to their wives and children, to rebuild their homes, plant their fields, and bring in one last harvest. Cersei had taken Tommen round their camps before they marched, to let them cheer their little king. She had never looked more beautiful than she did that day, with a smile on her lips and the autumn sunlight shining on her golden hair. Whatever else one might say about his sister, she did know how to make men love her when she cared enough to try.

And as i said before there is Justin Massey and his sellswords.

Ad to that the Vale which he has no chance of getting.

There is no way there is going to be peace already when Dany arrives.

2 minutes ago, direpupy said:

And you choose to focus on robb ignoring my comment on tywin, the fact is a few victory's mean next to nothing, not after there have been others who had victory's in battle yet still where not able to bring peace. It simple will not be enough to convince the Lord's and these are the ones that need to be convinced. So my point stands he will not have everyone he won't even be close, he will have kingslanding but that means nothing really as the dance of dragons showed us.

The only major battle when both sides were ready to fight was the battle of the green fork which was undecided.

Whispering wood, liberation of riverrun and oxcross was ambushes

As to the North between the 4000 northmen with Stannis the between 4000 to 6000 with Roose and several houses having not show up at all or still holding back some of there strength (like Manderly and Dustin) the North will even after the battles that will take place there in winds, stil have a good amount of troops.

Skagos has not involved itself till this point.

Karstark, Cerwyn, Glover, Stark, Tallhart, Umber are the houses which spent most of their military might

As to the Lannisters GRRM has already introduced two possible candidates to lead them Daven and Damion Lannister, Daven may be killed during his wedding to a Frey but Damion is castellan of Casterly Rock and in no danger of dying anytime soon. There are stong garrisons still in the west and apart from the 2000 men who went with Loras to dragonstone the rest of Tywins army some 18000 went home so they can be recalled into service.

Other male lannisters in the succesion are

Jaime Lannister "Capeble of leading men"

Lancel Lannister "little experience"

Martyn Lannister "to young"

Tyrek Lannister "to young"

Daven Lannister "Capeble of leading men, "

Damon Lannister "Unknown may be dead"

Damion Lannister "Castellan at CR"

Lucion Lannister "unknoen age"

As for the Lannister host, two thousand seasoned veterans remained encamped outside the city walls, awaiting the arrival of Paxter Redwyne's fleet to carry them across Blackwater Bay to Dragonstone. Lord Stannis appeared to have left only a small garrison behind him when he sailed north, so two thousand men would be more than sufficient, Cersei had judged.

The rest of the westermen had gone back to their wives and children, to rebuild their homes, plant their fields, and bring in one last harvest. Cersei had taken Tommen round their camps before they marched, to let them cheer their little king. She had never looked more beautiful than she did that day, with a smile on her lips and the autumn sunlight shining on her golden hair. Whatever else one might say about his sister, she did know how to make men love her when she cared enough to try.

2 minutes ago, norwaywolf123 said:

The only major battle when both sides were ready to fight was the battle of the green fork which was undecided.

Whispering wood, liberation of riverrun and oxcross was ambushes

Ambushes resulting in a short but violent battle, and when it comes to tywin there is the victory over the riverlands at the golden tooth and later riverrun where they captured edmure the first time, and also the blackwater.

6 minutes ago, norwaywolf123 said:

Skagos has not involved itself till this point.

Karstark, Cerwyn, Glover, Stark, Tallhart, Umber are the houses which spent most of their military might

As to you comment on the North i am not sure whether you are agreeing with me or not. but apart from Skagos there is is the house Slate two brances of Flint the Locke's and the mountain clans did send some troops with robb be the majority is now with Stannis. The Manderly's and Dustin's still have lots of troops and the Ryswell's also are not tapped out.

6 hours ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Problem is that in westeros there are no slaves, so why should anyone care about her liberation of ghiscari cities?

Cersei said the exact same thing. :D

"The slave revolt in Astapor has spread to Meereen, it would seem. Sailors off a dozen ships speak of dragons . . ."

"Harpies. It is harpies in Meereen." She remembered that from somewhere. Meereen was at the far end of the world, out east beyond Valyria. "Let the slaves revolt. Why should I care? We keep no slaves in Westeros. Is that all you have for me?"

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

If we assume that Aegon will have taken Kings Landing by the time she arrives, in alliance with the Dornish, then any House which is opposed to the new regime is a potential ally for Daenerys.

If the Tyrells are opponents of Aegon, then they would be natural allies for Daenerys, especially given that Mace fought for Aerys.  Of course, some of their Bannermen may choose to throw in their lot with the other side.

Other potential allies might be the Lannisters (other than Jaime) who will surely have lost power in Kings Landing, the Freys, who are increasingly beleaguered, and Euron Greyjoy (although allying with him would surely put the Tyrells into the other camp).

Really, the whole situation will surely be hugely complex when she arrives.

Which would be Lannisters (if we assume she accpets them) like you said, some houses from Reach (but there wont be many of them because of war), Vale will probably either stay neutral or side with Stannis, depends on who leads them.

By the time Dany arrives, Tyrells will lose a lot.

About Freys, I guess they might fall by that time, something really interesting is happening in Riverlands, and Freys are not as strong as they were, half of their army will get butchered by Stannis and other half will try to hold Riverlands, if they kill at least one third of them (which is very likely, especially with RW 2.0 coming) they will have around 1.3k men.

Euron will come to her only if she accepts marriage offer, if not they can just take a dragon and go to Westeros. Similar like Martells people are waiting to see what can they get and Dany is not ready to give them anything.

I agree about complex situation especially if Justin arrives with sellswords which I gues will be aroung time Dany lands, Justin has to go to CB, Eastwatch, Braavos, gather sellswords, find ships and return so this wont be fast, just like her journey wont. 

1 hour ago, direpupy said:

And having KL was everything in early stage of Wo5K, having Joff there brought Tyrells and victory at Blackwater.

What did you say about Tywin?

This is really different since everyone pretty much despises them and Varys is effectively working on separating them from their only ally, Tyrells. If Reach hates idea of being with Stannis and broke alliance with Lannisters they have Aegon and if he is smart enough to treat them correctly he can have most of them.

But what expirience any of those Lannister have compared to seasoned warriors who commanded amries in constant warfare during decades?

True about Massey, but he wont be there soon, probably around time Daenerys lands and Stannis is no dummy to march with little army.

I can not see how Aegon can make that many important enemies, most of their forces will be butchered in war before she comes. This is not counting Stannis because he will be fighting her, too.

21 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

And having KL was everything in early stage of Wo5K, having Joff there brought Tyrells and victory at Blackwater.

What did you say about Tywin?

This is really different since everyone pretty much despises them and Varys is effectively working on separating them from their only ally, Tyrells. If Reach hates idea of being with Stannis and broke alliance with Lannisters they have Aegon and if he is smart enough to treat them correctly he can have most of them.

But what expirience any of those Lannister have compared to seasoned warriors who commanded amries in constant warfare during decades?

True about Massey, but he wont be there soon, probably around time Daenerys lands and Stannis is no dummy to march with little army.

I can not see how Aegon can make that many important enemies, most of their forces will be butchered in war before she comes. This is not counting Stannis because he will be fighting her, too.

No having Joff and tommen and Myrcella there was the reason everybody wanted to go there kingslanding itself has little strategic value it was about taking out the competition not about controlling the realm.

That Tywin won many victory's both on the battlefield and diplomaticly, and still could not end all hostility's.

That will only happen if tommen dies and then they would want a marriage alliance to faegon if he is unwilling to give them that  they may decide to sit back and see who wins faegon or the Lannisters.

Seasoned commanders? constant warfare? i take it your talking about the officers of the golden company because they are the only ones who fit that description and even they don't fit it that well. Both Damon and Damion have experience at war and command under Tywin so that's not much of a argument on your part.

Oh making enemies is easy its making friends that is hard, because al those "friends" want something and many of them will want the same thing and you can only give it away one's, lands, titles, marriage it does not matter what they ask for if you give it to one you cannot give it to another.

That's why Dany actually has a better position than faegon, she already has a large army and it looks to only get larger, large enough that she does not need to suck up to the Lord's like faegon has to because he only has the GC.

7 hours ago, direpupy said:

No having Joff and tommen and Myrcella there was the reason everybody wanted to go there kingslanding itself has little strategic value it was about taking out the competition not about controlling the realm.

That Tywin won many victory's both on the battlefield and diplomaticly, and still could not end all hostility's.

That will only happen if tommen dies and then they would want a marriage alliance to faegon if he is unwilling to give them that  they may decide to sit back and see who wins faegon or the Lannisters.

Seasoned commanders? constant warfare? i take it your talking about the officers of the golden company because they are the only ones who fit that description and even they don't fit it that well. Both Damon and Damion have experience at war and command under Tywin so that's not much of a argument on your part.

Oh making enemies is easy its making friends that is hard, because al those "friends" want something and many of them will want the same thing and you can only give it away one's, lands, titles, marriage it does not matter what they ask for if you give it to one you cannot give it to another.

That's why Dany actually has a better position than faegon, she already has a large army and it looks to only get larger, large enough that she does not need to suck up to the Lord's like faegon has to because he only has the GC.

Well if they wefe at Casterly Rock while Robb was at West andif Stannis held KL I reakky do not think Tyrells would acceot deal.

Tywin almost unified Realm, when he died Riverrun, SE and Dragonstone along with II were in rebelion so Tywin had pretty much unified Kingdom.

Just having mad Cersei there ciuld separate them pretty quickly and even if they do not accept his terms he can call friends in Reach.

How not? Officers of Golden Company have way more expirience, Lannisters participated in 3 or 4 battles and that was under command of Tywin which means they only had to follow instructions from either Tywin or Kevan, there is no chance soms mi or Lannisters have more expirience than best sellsword company in the world.

Which is why it is a good thing to bring down despised lord (Freys, Tyrells) amd share their lands and wealth to allies. They can give Highgarden, Brightwater Keep, Storms End, Rosby, Stokeworth (depends on Bronn), Harenhall (depends on Baelish), Ruverrun (if Tullys rally Riverlords doubtless they would be allowed to keep Riverrun), Twins, Darry,...

But she wont have ships if she doesnt suck up. And if she doesnt need to suck up people will see her like they see Stannis, "Throne is mine, I have dragons and my father who btw was called Mad King was a King before me so this is my right, now bow to me".

19 hours ago, dariopatke said:

Well if they wefe at Casterly Rock while Robb was at West andif Stannis held KL I reakky do not think Tyrells would acceot deal.

Tywin almost unified Realm, when he died Riverrun, SE and Dragonstone along with II were in rebelion so Tywin had pretty much unified Kingdom.

Just having mad Cersei there ciuld separate them pretty quickly and even if they do not accept his terms he can call friends in Reach.

How not? Officers of Golden Company have way more expirience, Lannisters participated in 3 or 4 battles and that was under command of Tywin which means they only had to follow instructions from either Tywin or Kevan, there is no chance soms mi or Lannisters have more expirience than best sellsword company in the world.

Which is why it is a good thing to bring down despised lord (Freys, Tyrells) amd share their lands and wealth to allies. They can give Highgarden, Brightwater Keep, Storms End, Rosby, Stokeworth (depends on Bronn), Harenhall (depends on Baelish), Ruverrun (if Tullys rally Riverlords doubtless they would be allowed to keep Riverrun), Twins, Darry,...

But she wont have ships if she doesnt suck up. And if she doesnt need to suck up people will see her like they see Stannis, "Throne is mine, I have dragons and my father who btw was called Mad King was a King before me so this is my right, now bow to me".

Yes they would because they would get what they wanted margery as queen.

Tywin almost unified the realm and then it went to shit again that's the point you can never be sure the hostility's are really going to end.

Not really most sellsword would prefer to scare the enemy into submitting, because you can't spend gold when your dead. just look at the historical White Company which was GRRM's basis for the GC, honestly being as big as they are they probably would only have had some skirmishes before some peace deal was made, actual battles would have been rare fore a company this powerful, just like they where rare in the history of the real world mercenary company's they are based on.

And to who will they give the lands to you name because for every one there are between 3 to 5 candidates who would want them and like i said you can only give it to one.

Not really the Ironborn are there specifically to take her to westeros and everything points to her getting the Volantis fleet without having to suck up to anyone. That she is powerful enough not to have to suck up means she can give away these lands to people she trust and who have proven there loyalty, and the fear of her power will keep those who also wanted those lands in line. So my point stands she is in a better position than faegon.

Really i get that you like faegon and are rooting for him, and i agree is he is going to be a major player for sure, but not they ultimate bringer of peace you are trying to make him out to be. There will still be fighting going on when Dany does arrive.

48 minutes ago, direpupy said:

Tywin almost unified the realm and then it went to shit again that's the point you can never be sure the hostility's are really going to end.

Not really most sellsword would prefer to scare the enemy into submitting, because you can't spend gold when your dead. just look at the historical White Company which was GRRM's basis for the GC, honestly being as big as they are they probably would only have had some skirmishes before some peace deal was made, actual battles would have been rare fore a company this powerful, just like they where rare in the history of the real world mercenary company's they are based on.

And to who will they give the lands to you name because for every one there are between 3 to 5 candidates who would want them and like i said you can only give it to one.

Not really the Ironborn are there specifically to take her to westeros and everything points to her getting the Volantis fleet without having to suck up to anyone. That she is powerful enough not to have to suck up means she can give away these lands to people she trust and who have proven there loyalty, and the fear of her power will keep those who also wanted those lands in line. So my point stands she is in a better position than faegon.

Really i get that you like faegon and are rooting for him, and i agree is he is going to be a major player for sure, but not they ultimate bringer of peace you are trying to make him out to be. There will still be fighting going on when Dany does arrive.

And how would they do thar without LF?

But he wasn't slain by Euron or Blackfish. 

Some get lands, some places in small council, Kingsguard, LC of City Watch, Wardenship, even gold (like LF did, for example this can happen to sway Tarly, he has two castles but he is in debt),...

Ironborn are there to wed her or take her dragons, this is no mistery, Volantis didnt send enough ships to transport her army. She is in better position but only because of dragons, everything she ever did is thanks to them and Drogon will rescue her from Dotrakhi and so on and on.

I am rooting for Stannis actually, but I prefer Aegon over Daenerys. 

56 minutes ago, direpupy said:

Aurane can take Dany to westeros

we dont know how and if she will go to westeros

1 minute ago, dariopatke said:

And how would they do thar without LF?

But he wasn't slain by Euron or Blackfish. 

Some get lands, some places in small council, Kingsguard, LC of City Watch, Wardenship, even gold (like LF did, for example this can happen to sway Tarly, he has two castles but he is in debt),...

Ironborn are there to wed her or take her dragons, this is no mistery, Volantis didnt send enough ships to transport her army. She is in better position but only because of dragons, everything she ever did is thanks to them and Drogon will rescue her from Dotrakhi and so on and on.

I am rooting for Stannis actually, but I prefer Aegon over Daenerys. 

what makes you think Littlefinger is the only one who can make such a deal

Euron and Blackfish? they have nothing to do with our discussion. the point is that you can never be sure of they end of hostility's.

And still there will be 2 or more candidates for every of the position you name there are to many lords he cant please everybody. Tarly does not have two castles and he is never mentioned to be in debt.

I think you should reread the parts about the Volantis fleet it alone is big enough for her army. And as to the Ironborn most don't know why there there, only Victarion does and he is not long for this world, and when he is dead who will they turn to.

I don't prefer any of them i am just looking at this realistically, there is no way in the current situation that faegon has brought about peace by the time Dany arrives.

Archived