(spoilers) Theory about the Night King...

Grayce Hornwood

On 5/23/2016 at 9:13 AM, Grayce Hornwood said:

CotF turned into the NK was likely one of the First Men (possibly a Stark ancestor?), who are known to have strong warging and greenseeing abilities.

Maybe I missed something but thought it was CotF that were the greenseers and wargs in the dawn age. don't recall reading that first men had strong warging and green-sight abilities. My hunch was that somewhere along the line in the very early days, there was some interbreeding (yes, odd as it may seem) btwn CotF and FM, possibly the "Pact" being a marriage btwn a Stark and a likely significant (greenseer?) child of the forest.

On 5/23/2016 at 2:47 PM, GeorgeIAF said:

I have a different, way more tinfoilish crackpotting theory :

BR's last words aren't aimed at Bran, he is talking to NK. The NK is approaching BR while all his generals stand around, he stares at him and Bloodraven says "The time has come, leave me". We all think he is talking to Bran, but in my opinion he is talking to NK, who either has warged him all this time or knows about BR through other visions. Maybe i'm reading too much into this, but even in the vision BR seems to be talking to someone else than Bran. 

There's nobody named Bloodraven in the show.

15 hours ago, Caraxes said:

Maybe I missed something but thought it was CotF that were the greenseers and wargs in the dawn age. don't recall reading that first men had strong warging and green-sight abilities. My hunch was that somewhere along the line in the very early days, there was some interbreeding (yes, odd as it may seem) btwn CotF and FM, possibly the "Pact" being a marriage btwn a Stark and a likely significant (greenseer?) child of the forest.

I'm onboard with that. Or maybe the Crannogmen are the result of that pact, and the Starks just married some Reeds long ago.

I think that the NK senses something into Jon and Bran, maybe that they are his descendants or something like that ? Also i don't think he wants to kill them, felt this when i saw him facing Jon and against Bran too.

Maybe he saw how powerful Jon and Bran really are and is attracted to them ... 

On 5/23/2016 at 9:16 PM, Grayce Hornwood said:

Lol, yeah it seems like it's been a few times now. ;) 

Is that like a mistake or something, or there is a possibility that he is being brought back? 

On 5/24/2016 at 3:05 PM, YorEmixam said:

I'd rather have Bran Stark and the builder to be one and the same, inspiring some people with dreams and whispers to build the wall and Storm Ends ( I believe the magic ward of SE has to be meaningful, the death of a dragon? Bran might even be the one they called the Storm God, bringing down the Castle 2 times I believe until it was strong enough.)

I believe the last influense we will see Bran leave in the past is with Rheagar, pushing him to take Lyanna and give birth to the one who will fight against the darkness.

For people saying, how could the 13th lord commander be the first Other?why was there 12 of them even before the White Walkers appeared? Well Bran inspired people to build the castle where the wall is and man it (with dreams and whispers) in order to be ready when they come.

The NK in the show probably wanted to kill Bran for him not to go back, not inspire the building of the wall and maybe even lose the first long night to the Others 10,000 years ago.

I'm reading Dunk & Egg now, and it says Bloodraven was a Blackfyre who went to the wall with Aemon.  So that pretty much shoots down my hunch.

7 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I think that the NK senses something into Jon and Bran, maybe that they are his descendants or something like that ? Also i don't think he wants to kill them, felt this when i saw him facing Jon and against Bran too.

I dunno - the WW at Hardhome sure looked like he wanted to kill Jon.

10 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

The NK noticed Bran because he was not part of his wight army and had on nicer clothes.  But I do remember that NK seemed to sense something about Jon before he killed the WW.  Not sure about the attraction theory though.  Maybe he wants to convert both of them to WW's due to their powers.  

So has anybody drawn any implications about two different actors playing the Night's King?

Can we deduce that the NK is a title, passed down the lineage, like Lord's Commander of the NW? Jon came face to face with the current one whereas the one that marked Bran is from the past - possibly the original NK, the 13th Commander of the NW.

Bran witnessed a guy being sacrificed at the Weirwood in the summer, then in his next visit it was winter and the tree was dead. Instead of children there were wights and WW, including the NK - same place, same guy but after the onset of Winter.

I don't think the Fist Men had any warging or greenseeing abilities until they made sacrifices to the weirwoods so that depends on whether the WWs were created before or after the pact at the God's Eye. I also read somewhere that the victim was referred to anachronistically as an andal in production notes so that muddies the waters...

8 minutes ago, hiemal said:

I also read somewhere that the victim was referred to anachronistically as an andal in production notes so that muddies the waters...

I'm not reading anything into that. I've already argued that the show is conflating the FM with the Andals to simplify the backstory, and this is just further evidence of that.

19 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

I'm not reading anything into that. I've already argued that the show is conflating the FM with the Andals to simplify the backstory, and this is just further evidence of that.

Makes sense to me. Although I reckon it is possible they are playing on the confusion in history frequently cited in the books, you're probably right.

Archived