Bakker's TGO Excerpts II: Mining our Merest Fraction [Spoilers]s

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I got some exclusive tidbits from Scott for an upcoming History of Earwa article: the locations of all nine High Mansions. I also got the names, but some of them are works-in-progress so I probably won't use them until Scott's happier with them.

Scott also confirmed that the Encyclopediac Glossary II will have a map of First Age Earwa in it, along with the "Reaches" (not quite borders, more a sort of rough area of influence) for each Mansion.

Win win win.

There you go.

Siol is located is the Northern Great Kayarsus, north of the Sea of Cerish.

Nihrimsul is located at the south-eastern tip of the Yimaleti Mountains. Scott also said this spur of the mountains was the eastern border of Aorsi.

You know where Viri, Ishoriol and Cil-Aujas are, of course.

Illiseru was located in the Betmulla Mountains. He wouldn't say if this was the same mansion as the one Moenghus was chilling in, but I got the impression it wasn't. Illiseru is really big, that one wasn't.

The other three names are not finalised and will probably change: Curunq in the Araxes Mountains, Cil-Mihmul in the Hinayati Mountains and Incissal, located near modern-day Domyot. Apparently Incissal (or whatever it ends up being called) was captured by men and is actually inhabited by the modern people of Zeum, the only such Nonman mansion to be repurposed. I didn't put these in the article as I wanted it to be as close to canon as possible.

That also confirms - since the one near Atrithau isn't on the list - that there lots of other "lesser" mansions knocking around.

Also, on population levels: tens of thousands of Nonmen were killed in Viri (not counted as one of the most populous mansions) alone during the Arkfall. The populations of the mansions in their heyday must have been absolutely immense.

Huh.

Hadn't realized that Agongorea was essentially radioactive waste for...uh, 4000 years? How is the Great Ordeal even going to get to Golgotterath through that?

I'm guessing that this being released makes it canon, not a guess, and therefore the womb plague actually killing the women directly is also canon. Ah well.

One thing this makes a bit clearer is the timeline of the major battles - but it also confuses me. The Inchoroi and the Cunioroi fought for 500 years. But it's not like the nonmen's armies could grow larger, right? Once  they started down the path of war and got all nine mansions to fight, that was basically it. The Inchies can eventually get more troops - but the nonmen cannot. Why would it be the case that it'd take 500 years to fight? I'd think that the nonmen would be strongest earliest, and get weaker and less capable over time. 

Specifically after the first surge that took out so many nonmen, why did it take so much longer to come back and fight? And win?

Agongorea isn't radioactive, I believe. It's just that the ground was blasted so fiercely that nothing can grow: more like if the ground was salted. During the original Great Ordeal there were battles fought there and there were the two Investitures, so human armies can survive there, just not particularly easily.

The effects of the womb-plague are straight out of the TTT glossary. Unless I misread it, it said that Cu'jara-Cinmoi's wife was killed directly by the plague and the rest followed over time.

The reasons for the war lasting 500 years are unknown. Maybe if the Nonmen employed the Halaroi as warrior-slaves that could explain how the conflict could have lasted so long, giving the Nonmen a renewable source of soldiers.

The Inchoroi cannot breed, can they? In fact, wasn't there speculation that they themselves were the victims of an earlier womb-plague of their own? Otherwise they wouldn't have had the same problem as the Nonmen, declining numbers and no way of renewing them. In fact, I wonder why they couldn't just clone themselves when they were breeding Bashrags and Sranc.

Might be to do with ensouling (is this even a word?) the clone?

Also

"Imburil was the name given by the Cûnuroi to the pole star, the brightest star in the sky. Men would later call it the Nail of Heaven, the star around which all others turned. One night the star suddenly blazed with a strange, sudden intensity. This waxing lasted a time and then abated. The Cûnuroi could not explain it, but then dismissed it as a curiosity and moved on with their lives.

Three years after this curious event, death came swirling down."

I just came on before bed, now i have to think about this!

Might support the wormhole/stargate theory, although Imburil had been there at least a while before the Ark appeared. Maybe a wormhole/stargate opening between Earwa (or whatever the whole planet is called) and the star?

44 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Agongorea isn't radioactive, I believe. It's just that the ground was blasted so fiercely that nothing can grow: more like if the ground was salted. During the original Great Ordeal there were battles fought there and there were the two Investitures, so human armies can survive there, just not particularly easily.

Huh. Okay. Well, they won't have any food or anything, but maybe that's cool.

The effects of the womb-plague are straight out of the TTT glossary. Unless I misread it, it said that Cu'jara-Cinmoi's wife was killed directly by the plague and the rest followed over time.

Right. I'm saying that either you're writing this with the knowledge that what is there is legit (in which case it blows away the theory of the plague not killing the nonmen outright) or that there's no knowledge of anything different in TGO (which means there's no evidence that it's wrong, and doesn't get confirmed). It's just likely the case that that pet theory isn't correct. I guess another possibility is that you are actively misleading and that the answer is in TGO, but I don't think that's likely.

The reasons for the war lasting 500 years are unknown. Maybe if the Nonmen employed the Halaroi as warrior-slaves that could explain how the conflict could have lasted so long, giving the Nonmen a renewable source of soldiers.

The Inchoroi cannot breed, can they? In fact, wasn't there speculation that they themselves were the victims of an earlier womb-plague of their own? Otherwise they wouldn't have had the same problem as the Nonmen, declining numbers and no way of renewing them. In fact, I wonder why they couldn't just clone themselves when they were breeding Bashrags and Sranc.

The inchies can't breed, but they can produce bashrag and sranc at least - whereas the nonmen got nothing. I guess maybe the humans, but I'd think we'd get at least a mention of the humans toiling against the hideous creations of the Inchoroi at that point.

Though good call on the cloning thing. I guess they can't produce things that are souled - at least on purpose? 

Pretty sure the Inchoroi are antinatalists, probably precisely because of the inverse flame. That's why the smell the 'stench' of pregnancy. They don't want to see any more babies damned. Giving them a secret quality one might appreciate. Not sure if their position would change if they closed the gates.

I wonder if population matters kind of like in this comic : http://i.imgur.com/8dpnSgr.png

As in you get enough people, they all start to conflict in their wants in a world where wanting something a lot makes it more likely to happen. Unable to handle conflicting requests, the system crashes. And since men have souls and breed a lot (unlike sranc who breed a lot but don't have souls), this is what undid the world.

Speaking of, that wertzone article sure draws the parralel between sranc and men into sharp relief, in terms of breeding and the Cunuroi deciding to do something about these roving populations.

An Inchoroi would be too complex for them to produce at that point (even unsouled, like a skin spy), I guess. The Bashrags were their attempt to create something as strong as a Nonman physically and they ended up with that deformity. Don’t know about dragons.

Best part about that article is that it’s only part 1... (actually, I haven’t read it yet.)

One night the star suddenly blazed with a strange, sudden intensity. This waxing lasted a time and then abated. The Cûnuroi could not explain it, but then dismissed it as a curiosity and moved on with their lives.

Has this flaring been noted before? Is it new information?

Maybe the Matrioshka Brain thinks long and hard at this point, flaring from it's exhaust port like a massive bitcoin miner. Thinking upon the new variable that was the Inchoroi.

Edit: Also off that topic, I wonder if the Inchoroi wore corpses into battle or if their body armour was simply bodies? Ie, they grow body armour - sure, it might by dying and rotting away so after a month it's useless, but then grow up another one. Or did they just wear dead bodies (of humans??) out of ritual? I ask because they seem pretty canny at manipulating, yet they didn't recognise wearing dead bodies would freak out their allies. However, if the bodies were proper body armour, then the practicality of that (and their damned fate) would make the mistake more understandable.

Another edit:

Sranc, a piteous abomination of man

Wait, this is from the wertzone post - isn't it incorrect?? Or am I just remembering it wrong that sranc were developed from from Cunuroi? There's bits in the books about the beautiful faces of sranc (as well as bald) - they get those from the nonmen, not men, don't they?

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Might support the wormhole/stargate theory, although Imburil had been there at least a while before the Ark appeared. Maybe a wormhole/stargate opening between Earwa (or whatever the whole planet is called) and the star?

It could be a product of the technology they use to travel between solar systems./Galaxies. They create an opening at either end, a "star" appears at the destination and also where they are. Due to some crazy time dilation it flares and for the inchies it happens straight away roughly, but it takes 3 years on Earwa between Flare and arrival.

Also the flaring.waxing of light reminds me of the translocation of Kellhus/Serwe. A flaring of light accompanied by him appearing just after.

Perhaps they picked the pole star as it helps with navigation. The travel might be quick for them, but in the timeframe of Earwa it will be much, much longer (if relativity is relevant) So picking a star that has a constant relationship with the plant over a long period might be useful. Well pole stars change, but not very quickly, and Earwa may not have a precessional axis like earth (the wobble that causes the axis to change over a period of 26000 years).

It's guiding device or something.

3 hours ago, themerchant said:

Also lets get working on the velocity of the ark :) Impact to Earth simulator.

http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth

From that, doesn't look quite right. The problem is that for an impact to have caused massive earthquakes 400 miles away where mines are destroyed and the mansion is wrecked, you need an absurdly large impact - like something the size of London. It also has to be going pretty fast in order to cause a firestorm like that too - like 30 km/s. But if it's doing that, you'd get things like ejecta covering an area about the size of the great north of multiple meter depth and some kind of global cooldown event.

I couldn't figure out how to get an earthquake that damaging from 400 miles away that did not also essentially obliterate the planet or cause other weird effects like a 100-mile deep crater, but perhaps you can play with it more. It's fun!

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

I couldn't figure out how to get an earthquake that damaging from 400 miles away that did not also essentially obliterate the planet or cause other weird effects like a 100-mile deep crater, but perhaps you can play with it more. It's fun!

Perhaps deceleration jets smelt the entire ground of the field appalling, creating the blasted hell scape we will soon know. But they couldn't decelerate completely and thus still hammered into the planet pretty hard, not enough to cause a planet cool down but enough to cause major effects. 

10 hours ago, Kalbear said:

. Why would they do that? They immediately ask a question that either begs a question or assumes common knowledge, but both are odd from a Dunyanic perspective. How does that help them manipulate and control the situation? 

And that in order for Akka to stop the ending of the world.

To the first re read the Leweth scene right after the first probability trance, kellhus asks direct questions akin to this one because the trance concludes it doesn't have enough information to parse out an answer.

To the second, isn't that a bit backwards, stop? Shouldn't it be facilitate? After all this is eschatological. And it's not as though shit can't continue after the end of the world, after all this is the SECOND apocalypse. 

potential mindfuck: emwamma:men::cunoroi:sranc

humans are an inchoroi creation and abomination exactly like sranc. Forged from the genome of the emwamma.

Archived