2016 NBA FINALS - Runnin' it Back

Relic

1 hour ago, Matrim Fox Cauthon said:

Apparently Love will sit Game 3 out, as I suspected. Now let's see if they increase the defense of their lineup. 

All they need is for Kyrie to sit out and they might have a chance =P 

18 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

The odds are stacked against both (or either) from happening but do think it's probably easier to move Love somewhere for valuable swingmen then it will be to move Irving. Could be wrong. I do think winning a title requires trading one of the two and time for assistant GM David Griffin to get creative

OH MY!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/60/84/a8/6084a8ea90d4970c07589e3876e1a05e.jpg

You make some interesting points Jamie, but I have a hard time seeing the Cavs retooling in a way that can make them the favorite versus any of the elite teams in the West. Sadly, I think LeBron will end up losing the next few finals as well. And he's also clearly on the decline. Which is another reason why trading Wiggins was a bad idea. 

I'll admit this is gloating, but I feel like my prediction that "the Love trade is horrible" was perhaps my best sports prognostication ever:

8/7/2014: 

Who were the Cavs even bidding against?  Love is going to leave after this season if they don't trade him, so already the Wolves are bargaining from a position of weakness.  No team that could possibly trade for him can offer a young player that could eventually develop into a Top 5 (possible best in NBA) player.  Even trading Wiggins for Love is too much.  Then they throw in Bennett and a first rounder, just for kicks?  With Wiggins, Irving and Lebron, they could talk about winning championships as soon as the 2015-2016 season, and will only get better from there.  Now, they don't have any salary cap room, two of their three stars are very poor defenders, and the team as a whole has no way of getting better.  I don't see how this team possibly beats OKC or San Antonio in a 7 game series.  Irving and Love are a very poorly matched pair, whereas Wiggins, like Lebron, can play with anybody. 

Before this trade was made, if you asked me the chances that Cleveland wins a championship in the next 8 years, I would have said probably 75%.  Now?  I'd go lower.  For the Wolves, I would say it just went from ~1% to something more like 30-40%.  I'm sure Minnesota will still be bad this year, and they might be mediocre next year too.  After that, look out. 

It's also funny that I didn't even mention GSW as a contender from the West, it was just San Antonio and OKC.  They really came out of nowhere. 

Man you nailed it Maith, and you didn't even have the benefit of knowing the Wolves would get KAT. 

That said, my Vikings still probably have the worst trade ever in sports. You're welcome, Cruzboys fans. 

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Man you nailed it Maith, and you didn't even have the benefit of knowing the Wolves would get KAT. 

That said, my Vikings still probably have the worst trade ever in sports. You're welcome, Cruzboys fans. 

It's funny because that post came from an email conversation I have going with my college buddies where we talk about sports (Yes, I cross post between the two to save time).  In that conversation I actually compared Wiggins for Love with the Herschel Walker trade, and one of my friends said that comparison was ridiculous.  I am not so sure. 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You make some interesting points Jamie, but I have a hard time seeing the Cavs retooling in a way that can make them the favorite versus any of the elite teams in the West. Sadly, I think LeBron will end up losing the next few finals as well. And he's also clearly on the decline. Which is another reason why trading Wiggins was a bad idea. 

Yeah, agreed. I don't think it would make them a favorite, just would give them a fighting chance. They seem so overmatched right now. 

That said, I think this is the peak Warriors season. Can't keep this amazing depth together. Sure losing Harrison Barnes is one thing, but without grinning weirdo Mo Buckets, it's just not the same Warriors team. 

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's also funny that I didn't even mention GSW as a contender from the West, it was just San Antonio and OKC.  They really came out of nowhere. 

They really did. Coming off the 2014 season they were just a #6 seed who lost in the first round of the playoffs (a 7 game series to the Clippers). It's weird to think the "can't get their head out of their ass" Clippers were the last team to actually beat the Warriors in a playoff series. 

48 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's funny because that post came from an email conversation I have going with my college buddies where we talk about sports (Yes, I cross post between the two to save time).  In that conversation I actually compared Wiggins for Love with the Herschel Walker trade, and one of my friends said that comparison was ridiculous.  I am not so sure. 

Nah, they're not comparable at this point Imo. The Vikings gave away a ton picks that helped build a dynasty in exchanged for a player that was past his prime. If in 5 years the Wolves have won a title or two and Wiggins is a perennial all-star then we can talk about that comparison, but it's not really justified. Yet. 

49 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah, agreed. I don't think it would make them a favorite, just would give them a fighting chance. They seem so overmatched right now. 

That said, I think this is the peak Warriors season. Can't keep this amazing depth together. Sure losing Harrison Barnes is one thing, but without grinning weirdo Mo Buckets, it's just not the same Warriors team. 

Maybe, but the West is just so loaded right now. GS should be the favorite next year or two, the Thunder, if Russ and KD stay, will be a challenger for years to come, the Spurs are always there and the Wolves should be a force in two years if all goes right. I have a hard time seeing an aging LBJ winning another title if he doesn't have another legitimate star teammate whose a two way player.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah, they're not comparable at this point Imo. The Vikings gave away a ton picks that helped build a dynasty in exchanged for a player that was past his prime. If in 5 years the Wolves have won a title or two and Wiggins is a perennial all-star then we can talk about that comparison, but it's not really justified. Yet.

Sure, but it's only been two years.  I explicitly said that the TWolves would take time to build a contender, and I acknowledge that it is harder for a small market NBA team like Minnesota to win than a big market NFL team.  It remains to be seen whether the comparison holds up or not, but thus far I would say it is right on track. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Sure, but it's only been two years.  I explicitly said that the TWolves would take time to build a contender, and I acknowledge that it is harder for a small market NBA team like Minnesota to win than a big market NFL team.  It remains to be seen whether the comparison holds up or not, but thus far I would say it is right on track. 

OK that's fair. 

I have no idea what to expect in tonight's game. We could get a vintage LBJ game or another Warriors blow out. My heart leans to the former but my head says the latter.

Cavs by 4. Not confident at all with that pick.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have no idea what to expect in tonight's game. We could get a vintage LBJ game or another Warriors blow out. My heart leans to the former but my head says the latter.

Cavs by 4. Not confident at all with that pick.

I think Cleveland will play better (I mean, they can hardly play worse) but I do expect a Warriors win. I think the Thunder kind of lit a fire under their asses. I expect a much closer game, but short of LeBron just taking over I think the Warriors take it. 

56 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I think Cleveland will play better (I mean, they can hardly play worse) but I do expect a Warriors win. I think the Thunder kind of lit a fire under their asses. I expect a much closer game, but short of LeBron just taking over I think the Warriors take it. 

ETA: At what point does the NBA Ghostbusters commercial with Spike Lee, Carmelo Anthony and Peach Schnapps Bazingas stop being weird? 

Archived