Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WolfQueenArya

Arya vs. the Waif

Recommended Posts

I'm having a tough time deciding what the heck actually happened last episode for this story.

I have a hard time believing Arya would be as stupid to walk around Braavos without a care on her mind knowing that "A girl has been given a second chance.  There will not be a third". 

I also have a hard time believing that she was expecting to get stabbed, but figured she wouldn't be killed immediately and is now faking bleeding to death. There's too much risk in that.  There is a chance the Waif could have just sliced her throat.

I like the idea that "The Kindly Man" or whatever they are calling him in the show is wearing Arya's face to test the Waif, but he can't have Arya's face because she's not dead.

I have a bad feeling it's exactly what we have seen.  Arya was caught off guard by the attack, luckily was not instantly killed, and is now wandering around bleeding to death.  In the next episode she'll probably run into Lady Crane who will help her stop the bleeding, and then recover enough to a level where she can jump off roof tops and kill the Waif in a single day.  I think anything aside from this would be better....but then again, there was Dorne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the episode where they take Aryas sight a fm go's from the waif to Jaqen, body size included.  The last face Arya sees before her own is also the face of the old lady the waif was disguised as when she did the stabbing in last nights episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Just re-watched & she does move a bit weird - not like the Waif but more like Jaqen. Jaqen is cool, calm & collected just like Arya was. Waif is more stiff. But like i said before, Jaqen can't have her face without peeling it off her first can he? Unless there's some weird glamour? 

Also, after being stabbed she's pretty convincing that she is in pain, shock & doesn't know what to do. I don't think she would be that convincing if she had a blood bag/animal & I'm pretty sure she would avoid crowds.

Waif should die now for not following Jaqens instructions! 

Maybe there is a spell to transfer ones wounds to oneself... ? Arya saved him so now he is repaying his final debt.

Either that or Arya dies & the Waif or Jaqen takes her face for the rest of the series, much to Arya fans disgust & horror!

This... I think the fact that she is in pain , shock and panicking when she was in the water is against the idea that was either Jaqen playing Arya, or Arya faking the stab.  The bad thing is that I still think it is Jaqen faking Arya (or Arya faking the stab) and the "panicking" was a case of bad writing/directing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the face that stabbed her just old-face Arya?  If the Waif can be old-face Arya, why can't Jaqen be present-day Arya?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

She was just fine in the water and coming on up out of it.

It’s only when other people were watching her that she behaved as though she were mortally injured.

I don't think so, watch the scene again. She panicked in the water. With nobody surrounding her

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, King Louis II (KLII) said:

I don't think so, watch the scene again. She panicked in the water. With nobody surrounding her

I just did, and you do seem to be right. Hm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rubicante said:

There is one theory that nobody has considered at all.

The Arya who got stabbed in the episode is an imposter.  She is actually Aeron Greyjoy, the Damphair, in disguise.

Or, she will be revived by Thoros of Myr and become Arya Stoneheart:P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a simple and satisfactory solution to this mess; Arya warging the cats of the canals to get the upper hand as she actually does in the book after being blinded. Why in seven hells do the writers didn't think about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Just re-watched & she does move a bit weird - not like the Waif but more like Jaqen. Jaqen is cool, calm & collected just like Arya was. Waif is more stiff. But like i said before, Jaqen can't have her face without peeling it off her first can he? Unless there's some weird glamour? 

Also, after being stabbed she's pretty convincing that she is in pain, shock & doesn't know what to do. I don't think she would be that convincing if she had a blood bag/animal & I'm pretty sure she would avoid crowds.

Waif should die now for not following Jaqens instructions! 

Maybe there is a spell to transfer ones wounds to oneself... ? Arya saved him so now he is repaying his final debt.

Either that or Arya dies & the Waif or Jaqen takes her face for the rest of the series, much to Arya fans disgust & horror!

Rewatch S5E10: Mother's Mercy. It is known that you apparently DO NOT need to kill a man to wear a man's face. When Jaquen drinks Arya's unused poison, he dies. Arya was being held by the Waif but when Jaquen dies Arya turns around to see that the Waif was actually Jaquen. Arya peels off the many faces of the corpse and the last one she sees before she goes blind was her own face.

So there is evidence that a man can have any face, living or dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense that this episode title is called No One because now Arya is truly No One now. 

Bleeding in the streets and no one notices her, no one helps her out even. The person that the Waif stabbed was No One. The real Arya, er No One, will be hunting down the Waif instead for failing the FM code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ludo Kressh said:

Or, she will be revived by Thoros of Myr and become Arya Stoneheart:P.

We probably shouldn't be giving D & D any ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, what is with the Waif and swimming? Maybe she fails to be a FM because she won't even jump into the river to finish off Arya or at least confirm that she was dead so she can collect her face. Christ, if the Waif can't swim or doesn't want to get wet she could've waited at least 10 mins to confirm that Arya doesn't resurface from the water.

Bad FM form, Waif.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going with a blood bag from the acting troupe (I know there's no way Arya would have known she'd not get her throat cut but that's the kind of shit D&D have been glossing over this season) or it is another faceless man sent by Jaq'en to test the Waif on following orders.  After Arya dispatches the Waif if it's the former, she'll either return to the HoBaW wearing the Waif's face and kill Jaq'en. If it's the latter she'll just return there and Jaq'en will officially declare her as no one. I think either way Arya will refuse the title and declare herself Arya Stark and take or be given some faces. It'll really be sweet if she kills Jaq'en wearing the Waif's face thus proving that she has been learning. Then she steals some faces and burns the place down before leaving. That way there will be no more faces for them to hunt her with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that too much weird shit was going on in that scene for it to be simply her being a dumbass and being stabbed. 

Ten minutes ago I decided that it was the Kindly Man wearing her face who was stabbed, and is still acting like a dying Arya to draw the Waif out. He'll confront her for failing her mission - she clearly wanted Arya to suffer. If the Waif had just gone for a real kill, she'd have passed her test. I think Real Arya will kill her with Needle, and go on her merry way. Whether she does this as a proper Faceless Man, or as Arya Stark with the Kindly Man's blessing, I don't know.

Or, perhaps, it was Real Arya the whole time, acting like an idiot on purpose as instructed by the Kindly Man, and she really was surprised to be stabbed. The Kindly Man, I presume, will heal her (I suppose the FM can heal a few gut-stabs?). That seems kind of shady, as the Waif could have killed her in a much more final way, and this theoretical plan goes to shit pretty rapidly.

Anyway, I'm going with KM was stabbed, Real Arya kills the Waif, and returns as a Stark, not as a FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tmug said:

It makes sense that this episode title is called No One because now Arya is truly No One now. 

Bleeding in the streets and no one notices her, no one helps her out even. The person that the Waif stabbed was No One. The real Arya, er No One, will be hunting down the Waif instead for failing the FM code.

I have the same feeling: everything in this scene really was black and white (sorry).  The Waif just failed her test, while Arya passed hers, but I believe that Jaq'en will kill the Waif, not Arya.  Arya will then choose to leave the FM and sail to Westeros, maybe with the information from Jaq'en that some of her family is still alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rubicante said:

I'm having a tough time deciding what the heck actually happened last episode for this story.

I have a hard time believing Arya would be as stupid to walk around Braavos without a care on her mind knowing that "A girl has been given a second chance.  There will not be a third". 

I also have a hard time believing that she was expecting to get stabbed, but figured she wouldn't be killed immediately and is now faking bleeding to death. There's too much risk in that.  There is a chance the Waif could have just sliced her throat.

I like the idea that "The Kindly Man" or whatever they are calling him in the show is wearing Arya's face to test the Waif, but he can't have Arya's face because she's not dead.

I have a bad feeling it's exactly what we have seen.  Arya was caught off guard by the attack, luckily was not instantly killed, and is now wandering around bleeding to death.  In the next episode she'll probably run into Lady Crane who will help her stop the bleeding, and then recover enough to a level where she can jump off roof tops and kill the Waif in a single day.  I think anything aside from this would be better....but then again, there was Dorne.

They could just run a subtitle..."two weeks later...." Then have Arya wake up from a deep slumber somewhere.....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To confuse things more: isn't a part of the FM cult sacrificing one's self for the Many Faced God, like in the scene where Arya goes blind?  That also speeks for it actually being Arya, but with the help of Jaq'en.  Or I need more coffee this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arya = Waif = No One

I'm pretty certain catNamedStupidity called it. Check out 2 mins of footage from Season 5 Episode 6. Watch from 16:40-18:40 but pay special attention to the face Arya focuses on at 17:58 while Jaqen h'ghar says the following:

Quote

Is the girl ready? To give up her ears, her nose, her tounge? Her hopes and dreams, her loves and hates, all that makes a girl who she is...forever? No, a girl is not ready to become no one! But she is ready to become someone else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Joe Anderson said:

Arya = Waif = No One

I'm pretty certain catNamedStupidity called it. Check out 2 mins of footage from Season 5 Episode 6. Watch from 16:40-18:40 but pay special attention to the face Arya focuses on at 17:58 while Jaqen h'ghar says the following:

 

I would much prefer that Arya just leave. I absolutely hate the FM arc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JonisHenryTudor said:

I would much prefer that Arya just leave. I absolutely hate the FM arc. 

I can understand that the whole inner battle has been a bore to watch especially since its on display in just about every superhero movie.

Did you actually see the face Arya was fixating on? The nose looks a little off, but it that looks like the face the waif removed after she stabbed Arya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×