Westeros's answer to Dany's dragons (Possible Spoilers)

The Lash

6 minutes ago, The Lash said:

I have also suggested in another thread, to poison their feed animals.  Give them enough poison to have it in teir system but not kill them.  So over multiple feedings it might make the dragons ill.  Maybe by letting a herd be 'captured.'  Or try to plant someone on the inside to accomplish this.  And if they get the shot to give a large, potentially fatal dose, take it.

Maybe also booby trap any structures in the major holds that could house dragons in the eventuality of one being taken.  That would vary by the structure and whatis feasible with it.

I don't think poison has an effect on dragons.

45 minutes ago, The Lash said:

Is there a precedent? I don't have the world book.

In AFFC, Maester Marwin claims that Maesters murdered the Dragons in Westeros. Not sure how, since not one of Dragons died suddenly other than of expected old age or being physically damaged. But there is a fact that the last dragons in Aegon III reign were born dwarvish or deformed and died soon after. So either Maesters somehow did this - to newborn dragons but there is also a claim that the size of dragons was affected because they were completely chained up and locked up in small cells by Aegon III himself who was afraid of dragons and hated them for eating his mother.

So, we only have Marwin claim to go on and no obvious result

They still don't seem to be invulnerable. Spears were shown to be able to penetrate Drogon for example during the pit fight. Have a system that can consistently fire spears or arrows at a flying target with some degree of accuracy and you likely could pin cushion one to death like Wun Wun was. As far as size goes, they're still quite small compared to Aegon's dragons, though of course they seem to get a huge boost every off season regardless of how much(or little) time goes by between episode 10 and episode 1.

14 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

They still don't seem to be invulnerable. Spears were shown to be able to penetrate Drogon for example during the pit fight. Have a system that can consistently fire spears or arrows at a flying target with some degree of accuracy and you likely could pin cushion one to death like Wun Wun was. As far as size goes, they're still quite small compared to Aegon's dragons, though of course they seem to get a huge boost every off season regardless of how much(or little) time goes by between episode 10 and episode 1.

Drogon was young when he was pierced by spears tho'. General rule of thumb with dragons seems to be that the scales and body armour get stronger with age. What worked then may not work now. The wings would appear to be the most obvious weak spot.

1 minute ago, Rory Snow said:

Drogon was young when he was pierced by spears tho'. General rule of thumb with dragons seems to be that the scales and body armour get stronger with age. What worked then may not work now. The wings would appear to be the most obvious weak spot.

That was just last season.

to me, the biggest thing is that we don't know what the Westerosi armies are capable of.  Yes, we have seen the Battle of the Bastards, the Battle at Blackwater Bay, and some taste of the war that Robb was fighting vs the Lanisters, but do we really know what the Seven Kingdom's possess as far as defenses go?  We didn't know about the huge crossbow or swinging scythe that the Crows had until they used it.  We didn't know about all the catapults that the Master's had until they started using them from the ships.  We had no idea about the Wildfire until Tyrion used it at Blackwater Bay.  I just feel that if the Dragons start to attack, we may see the use of weapons that we didn't know had even existed as we don't know the true power that each Kingdom possesses. 

6 hours ago, KINGpanther said:

What people don't see is Dany's army and dragons have never seen snow nor fought in winter climates so by the time she reaches a Long night 2.0 hit Westeros she will loose most of her army and a dragon or 2 either through death or desertion.

Actually, IRL  the world just had that rescue of the two researchers from the South Pole (a success - YAY!).  Many of the articles talked about how dangerous it was to fly in such cold air.  One stated that fuel and hydraulic fluid can turn jelly-like in such cold temperatures. Maybe the dragons will not be able to fly easily and will be grounded more, perhaps it takes more effort to fly.  Probably easier to kill on the ground then overhead.

It all comes down to how controllable a dragon is for the rider. If the dragon reacts nimbly good luck catching it with ballistae, you'll only get one shot. If the dragons act like normal beasts however, their movements will be much less agile and much more predictable, far easier targets.

Many dragons were killed by man in the history of targaryen rein. I don't see westeros welcoming dany's dragons and her army either. Ironborn, dothraki, second sons, unsullied... They are rapers, pillagers, thiefs and they have very bad reputations even unsullied. final test to become an unsullied is killing a baby in front of his/her mother. I dont believe dany would control her army and prevent them from raping, burning and killing the innocent. She cant also control three dragons. Although they want us to believe dany is going to westeros to build a better world, it is very probable that she builds her kingdom on blood, fire and massacre. Also remember she is mad kings daughter and in both the books and the show we see her father in her in some decisions and actions. 

I think the more important question is who is actually going to fight against Dany? The Martells and Tyrells are likely to align with Dany. The Lannisters? The North won't fight against her or her dragons if Jon is KITN. He knows the WW are coming, and he will easily see Dany's army as an asset rather than an enemy to fight against. 

1 hour ago, GravyFace said:

I think the more important question is who is actually going to fight against Dany? The Martells and Tyrells are likely to align with Dany. The Lannisters? The North won't fight against her or her dragons if Jon is KITN. He knows the WW are coming, and he will easily see Dany's army as an asset rather than an enemy to fight against. 

Should be interesting, I see a big parley in season 8 between Jon and Dany and the rest of the surviving players on their respective sides, where Jon warns of the WW threat but Tyrion laughs it off as snarks and grumpkins. Que a Walker attack and see the shit on Tyrions face.

17 hours ago, GravyFace said:

bend or be destroyed not much of choice except for lannister and WW, they have only one choice

19 hours ago, dbunting said:

So basically you ignore the 95% of the post and only comment on 5%? The dragons were chained down in a cell and asleep. Pretty important facts.

4 of the 5 were chained in the dragon pit. The 5th was stabled at the red keep. IIRC, there were hundreds to thousands of deaths during the storming of the Dragon pit. That said, in ASOIAF, 2500 men to take out a dragon or two isn't a bad deal. 

Archived