NBA Offseason: The Draft, Free Agency and Trade Rumors Oh My!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

16 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Being a middling playoff team is huge for them though, they arent that far away from record breaking awful seasons. To let this moderate success slip away for more rebuilding seems a waste. Kemba walker is about to enter his prime and you want to give him some help so he doesn't skip town when it comes time for his free agency.

Sperry is correct. Being stuck as a low playoff seed year after year is not the place to be. The truth is that unless you're one of the few destination teams you have to be bad for awhile and get lucky before you can be a contender. 

And there is no universe in which you can build a contender around Kemba Walker. 

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sperry is correct. Being stuck as a low playoff seed year after year is not the place to be. The truth is that unless you're one of the few destination teams you have to be bad for awhile and get lucky before you can be a contender. 

And there is no universe in which you can build a contender around Kemba Walker. 

So purposefully tank until a legend falls in your lap on draft day?

I don't think Charlotte could afford that.

It's not like it's Philly.

But, there's still hope that a past his prime Steph Curry will pull a lebron and come play for the home team.

52 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

So purposefully tank until a legend falls in your lap on draft day?

I don't think Charlotte could afford that.

It's not like it's Philly.

Several teams have done it. Just look at the Sonics/Thunder and the Wolves. 

Also, Portland has offered Chandler Parsons the max. Good luck with that nonsense.

"NBA announced free agent O.J. Mayo has been dismissed & disqualified from the NBA for violating terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program"

Uhhh, wow. 

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

"NBA announced free agent O.J. Mayo has been dismissed & disqualified from the NBA for violating terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program"

Uhhh, wow. 

Wait, what now? He can apparently apply for reinstatement in two years! I didn't even realize multi-year suspensions were a thing in the NBA, even for repeat offenses.

Is it PEDs or just weed?

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Several teams have done it. Just look at the Sonics/Thunder and the Wolves. 

Charlotte was worse than either of these teams during that stretch. 

Yet nothing close to Durant or Westbrook has been available to them on draft day.

At a certain point you have to realize there are fans and you have to build a roster than resembles effort. 

35 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Charlotte was worse than either of these teams during that stretch. 

Yet nothing close to Durant or Westbrook has been available to them on draft day.

At a certain point you have to realize there are fans and you have to build a roster than resembles effort. 

A quick Google search shows they've done a terrible job of drafting good players over the last several years. That's their problem.

56 minutes ago, Relic said:

Uhhh, wow. 

49 minutes ago, Fez said:

Wait, what now? He can apparently apply for reinstatement in two years! I didn't even realize multi-year suspensions were a thing in the NBA, even for repeat offenses.

Is it PEDs or just weed?

Heard that while out and about for lunch.  :stunned: 

I too am curious about just what exactly you have to do to get booted from the league.  I can't believe its weed.  No way Silver does that.  Gotta be something hard.  I can't even believe they'd do that for PED's without us hearing that he was already in trouble for them before.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A quick Google search shows they've done a terrible job of drafting good players over the last several years. That's their problem.

It's not that bad. 

They haven't passed on many great players. They passed on klay thompson in favor of kemba walker.

The big mistake was picking kidd Gilchrist in that draft that had Bradley Beal and some other sleepers but at the time it seemed logical to pick mkg.

And really I think mkg would be making a name for himself if he didn't get hurt more than Derrick Rose

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

My thoughts as well.

She is a cruel mistress.

Haha. 

57 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

It's not that bad. 

They haven't passed on many great players. They passed on klay thompson in favor of kemba walker.

The big mistake was picking kidd Gilchrist in that draft that had Bradley Beal and some other sleepers but at the time it seemed logical to pick mkg.

And really I think mkg would be making a name for himself if he didn't get hurt more than Derrick Rose

They've had some busts and in hindsight there was a better player available in each of the drafts. You need to have a string of hits to build a contender.

1 hour ago, David Selig said:

Evan Turner got himself a four-year, $70M deal with Portland. LOL. Today is by far the best day ever to be a half decent NBA free agent.

Tell that to OJ Mayo

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Haha. 

They've had some busts and in hindsight there was a better player available in each of the drafts. You need to have a string of hits to build a contender.

They still wouldn't be more than a middling playoff team even if they drafted those better players. 

There wasnt much available for them no matter how bad they were.

1 minute ago, Relic said:

Tell that to OJ Mayo

He isnt half decent though

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

4 years, $38 million for Delly.

You did not misread that.

not at all surprising. Listened to a podcast that did a mock FA thingy, and these were the prices they were coming up with. Liek someone said above, 8-10 mil is what an avg player will be getting per year. 

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Is it PEDs or just weed?

It's neither.  He wouldn't have gotten banned for two years for his second PED violation, and weed is a slap on the wrist in the NBA, which it should be.  It was more than likely a drug considered abusive like MDMA, but it could have been any harder drug like crack or heroin.  I'd guess MDMA or coke, though, as those are more recreational in nature.

Archived