Who can Dany marry in Westeros?

norwaywolf123

5 hours ago, Kytheros said:

For example, if Robb had not already been betrothed, Catelyn might very well have cut a deal with Stannis to betroth him to Shireen. Robb wouldn't be kneeling, per se, and would have kept his bannermen who named him King happy, but it would have re-unified the Realm, and satisfied Stannis.

This is a very poor example as Shireen isn't the ruler of Stannis' kingdom. He just send Shireen to Robb and there's peace while both rule their own kingdoms.

Jon and Dany marrying would mean one of them has to kneel, they're both the rulers of their respective faction.

11 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

This is a very poor example as Shireen isn't the ruler of Stannis' kingdom. He just send Shireen to Robb and there's peace while both rule their own kingdoms.

Jon and Dany marrying would mean one of them has to kneel, they're both the rulers of their respective faction.

As illinifan and thor2006 said, there are examples in the real world of monarchs marrying monarchs and keeping sovereignty over their own realms. Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon being perhaps the most famous. 

9 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

They could very well end up being a latter-day, postapocalyptic Jaehaerys and Alysanne... this universe's Ferdinand and Isabella equivalent. Any children they had would rule the united kingdoms, or another Great Council will be called and an heir found.

I've never thought the idea of the 7 Kingdoms separating again was plausible. Sure, if they had the population and resources they had on the first page of AGoT, but not after multiple devastating wars, famines, and plagues. I don't think the North will be independent in the end.

3 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I certainly agree with everything you’ve said in your second paragraph, but no, I haven’t seen Kit and Emilia on screen together anywhere yet. If she can act more like she did around Peter Dinklage in the last episode than she has, well, nearly anywhere else, then that might work.

Yes, I meant interviews. Apologies for not clarifying. While I know that's not when they're in character, I think they'll pass the screen test metric for whether they'd work as a plausible couple on the show.

8 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

You really think that Stannis would totally be okay with the North not kneeling?

And it isn't the best example but there have been many examples throughout European history of such marriage alliances.  In this possible scenario, Jon would remain KitN and the North would remain independent.  Dany would rule the rest of the Seven Kingdoms.  Jon would have the primary say over the North as its acclaimed ruler and Dany would have the primary say over the rest of Westros.  Their children would be heirs to both kingdoms.

6 minutes ago, Liz Stark-Targaryen said:

They could very well end up being a latter-day, postapocalyptic Jaehaerys and Alysanne... this universe's Ferdinand and Isabella equivalent. Any children they had would rule the united kingdoms, or another Great Council will be called and an heir found.

I've never thought the idea of the 7 Kingdoms separating again was plausible. Sure, if they had the population and resources they had on the first page of AGoT, but not after multiple devastating wars, famines, and plagues. I don't think the North will be independent in the end.

Interesting that people have theorized that Jon's Targ birth name might be Jaehaerys.  

7 minutes ago, Liz Stark-Targaryen said:

Yes, I meant interviews. Apologies for not clarifying. While I know that's not when they're in character, I think they'll pass the screen test metric for whether they'd work as a plausible couple on the show.

I'm assuming that they had Kit and Emilia do a screen test to make sure that they had chemistry with each other.

19 minutes ago, illinifan said:

Interesting that people have theorized that Jon's Targ birth name might be Jaehaerys.  

I'm assuming that they had Kit and Emilia do a screen test to make sure that they had chemistry with each other.

I saw the guesses of Jaehaerys from fans who read lips! My guess would be either Jaehaerys or Aemon. I hope that we get some Tourney at Harrenhal flashbacks. 

Kit and Emilia also did some photoshoots in season 2 or 3 (can't remember when). They work together just fine, and Emilia's best friends with his girlfriend, Rose Leslie (who played Ygritte). They're all good friends, and both have mentioned over the years how much they'd like to work with each other.

I think that Jon and Dany be such an interesting deconstruction of "prince meets princess." I've always marveled by those who bemoan it as too Disneylike -- which Prince Charming was resurrected from the dead through questionable means and a shady character like Mel? Which Disney princess takes her house words "fire and blood" so seriously that she repeatedly shows her enemies no mercy?

Besides, what could be more alluring than the beautiful unknown?

On 6/28/2016 at 8:14 PM, Quyen Thuy Tran said:

No one except Bran knows Dany and Jon are related at the moment. 

And also Howland Reed, but I wonder how quickly that will change, if at all. That will most likely be a big factor in deciding a lot of people's allegiance and how Dany will need to marry.

I'm kind of hoping Dany won't get married at all. Towards the end of season 6 Theon was pushing for his sister Yara to become the next leader of their house which is kind of promoting a sort of girl power movement where women can rule without needing to marry a noble husband. I mean Cersei at the end of season 6 didn't take the throne by marrying someone. She just took it because both her sons are dead and she just took it upon herself to take it. Besides with Westeros being as chaotic as it is right now I don't think it really matters anymore if you are a noble male anymore to take leadership. Dany and Jon Snow are proof of that. Dany being a woman and building her own army and taking over kingdoms and Jon being a bastard and becoming commander of the nights watch and gaining the trust of the Wildling. I don't think Jon will be king in the end because in my opinion I don't think he would make a great king. I think he makes a better commander and fighter than a king. This is just my opinion.

1 minute ago, King Jon Stark Targaryen said:

Yes.He is still the handsome prince and she is still the beautiful princess. I'm hoping they don't get married. I hope Jon states in the North as King. 

It's really not though. If they weren't related or just cousins or something, then maybe that qualifies as Disney. But they're aunt and nephew. There's no way you can name a Disney or fairytale story that has aunt/nephew or uncle/niece hooking up. Doesn't matter how young and handsome/beautiful they are. 

Just now, Lady Knows Nothing said:

I'm kind of hoping Dany won't get married at all. Towards the end of season 6 Theon was pushing for his sister Yara to become the next leader of their house which is kind of promoting a sort of girl power movement where women can rule without needing to marry a noble husband. I mean Cersei at the end of season 6 didn't take the throne by marrying someone. She just took it because both her sons are dead and she just took it upon herself to take it. Besides with Westeros being as chaotic as it is right now I don't think it really matters anymore if you are a noble male anymore to take leadership. Dany and Jon Snow are proof of that. Dany being a woman and building her own army and taking over kingdoms and Jon being a bastard and becoming commander of the nights watch and gaining the trust of the Wildling. I don't think Jon will be king in the end because in my opinion I don't think he would make a great king. I think he makes a better commander and fighter than a king. This is just my opinion.

Maybe he will be a warrior king and leave to the ruling and politicking to his hand the Lady of Winterfell Sansa.  Like Robert did except he won't be a man whore. 

8 minutes ago, Lady Knows Nothing said:

So you want the only relevant king to stop being king so women assume all leadership roles in Westeros? This is still a society grounded in inspiration by late medieval Europe. Suddenly turning into a full blown matriarchy and discarding all semblance of marriage alliances sounds silly, to put it lightly. Hell, marrying for the advancement of a family's political or economic standing happened into the 20th century in the western world and in parts of the world still happens today.

I don't agree with the idea that Jon wouldn't make a good king, but that's more based on the books than the show. I'm hoping they introduce some of his book 5 subplots next season, but I'm not sure there's time.

2 minutes ago, nothatso said:

So you want the only relevant king to stop being king so women assume all leadership roles in Westeros? This is still a society grounded in inspiration by late medieval Europe. Suddenly turning into a full blown matriarchy and discarding all semblance of marriage alliances sounds silly, to put it lightly. Hell, marrying for the advancement of a family's political or economic standing happened into the 20th century in the western world and in parts of the world still happens today.

I don't agree with the idea that Jon wouldn't make a good king, but that's more based on the books than the show. I'm hoping they introduce some of his book 5 subplots next season, but I'm not sure there's time.

That is where the show is going. I like Jon as King in the North and hope he stays in that position. I preferred him as Lord Commander on the front likes of the War with the Night King. I think Jon as King will be like Jon as Lord Commander he is going to use it to prepare the North for the war but without the celibacy.

29 minutes ago, nothatso said:

Yep.  Women power makes as much sense to this world as Disney fantasy endings do.  

And my understanding for Season 7

Spoiler

That Alys Karstark is being cast.  They can do a one episode subplot with the Karstarks refusing to pledge fealty to King Jon and continued tensions between the Northerners and the Free Folk and he resolves it through a marriage pact.  But not Tormund please...  Tormund needs to marry his true love Brienne.  It also might be nice foreshadowing if the story is going there with another marriage pact.

6 hours ago, illinifan said:

Yep.  Women power makes as much sense to this world as Disney fantasy endings do.  

And my understanding for Season 7

Reveal hidden contents

That Alys Karstark is being cast.  They can do a one episode subplot with the Karstarks refusing to pledge fealty to King Jon and continued tensions between the Northerners and the Free Folk and he resolves it through a marriage pact.  But not Tormund please...  Tormund needs to marry his true love Brienne.  It also might be nice foreshadowing if the story is going there with another marriage pact.

Where did you heard about Alys? Only option for marriage would be Tormund or some random wildling. Karstarks would swear fealty as whole North did but if Alys is being casted it could be interesting. Jon needs to do some Northern politics.

Archived