Bond 25: No Time To Die

Rhom

1 hour ago, Conflicting Thought said:

I didnt say you cant judge the art of the past, i said the exact opposite.

You are quoting me wrong, i never said that.  Pls change it. 

I quoted you directly. Your words.  YOUR.  WORDS.  Cut and pasted into the quote function.

2 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Did black people and women thought it was ok to do and show those thing back then?  It didnt face any criticism at all?. 

Also i dont think is that clear that we cant "judge" art from the past with "modern" eyes. I mean, im sure black folk had some opinions on black face for example. 

This is what i said, i didnt edited. Where did i said that you cant judge past art by today standards?. 

Maybe the forum is acting strange and thas is a quote by Heartofice or someone like that with my name attached. But as ypu can see, i did not say that. 

21 hours ago, WarGalley said:

what was the ick factor in Live or Let Die?

And man, ya'll really making me want to watch From Russia with Love again.

More “did they really go there” and as others have since said its the horrid depiction of black people in general and the culture of New Orleans in particular.

unlike Rhom, i think we absolutely can and should judge this through a ‘modern’ lens. It was no more right back then than it is now. Just because there was less vocal criticism or acknowledgement doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be critical of it. 

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

unlike Rhom, i think we absolutely can and should judge this through a ‘modern’ lens. It was no more right back then than it is now. Just because there was less vocal criticism or acknowledgement doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be critical of it. 

As long as you understand that you will always be judging these movies through your own modern, and I would suggest heavily ideological lens, and with that in mind use that to understand your own way of thinking versus how thinking might have been different back then. It's difficult to know how people felt about certain scenes in these movies at the time, because you weren't there and you aren't them. 

But on top of that, I always wonder what outcomes people would like to see when they make these comments. Do we simply stroke our chins and feel superior or do we take action and burn these movies in case vulnerable people accidently see them. I get the sense from comments upthread that some would be up for the second option.

15 hours ago, Heartofice said:

You can of course judge movies from the past with modern eyes,

That's not the question. The question was:

15 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Did black people and women thought it was ok to do and show those thing back then?  It didnt face any criticism at all?.

You didn't answer that, but the answer is no, they didn't think it was OK. Bond films faced significant criticism at the time for these things. The fact that they were commonly shown in mainstream media does not mean that everyone thought that was OK.

Archived