Exercise and Fitness - Olympic spirit!

baxus

Yesterday I played golf again with my wife.  It was a lot of fun and less frustrating than before.  It gets better each round, but that's what I'd expect for a beginner.

Then yesterday evening I went to the gym for an upper body session: shoulder press, pull-ups & lat raises.  I skipped arms because they were pretty fatigued by that point, presumably from the addition of golf before the workout.

Even though my level of weights has plateaued a bit, I still feel like I get a thorough workout and I seem to be still gaining muscle mass slowly but steadily.  I'll keep looking for sources of variation without dropping the foundation heavy lifting.

I had my physical this week and asked my doctor about my feet. He thought that since I don't have worse pain in the morning it was probably not PF, more likely achilles pain at the insertion point or minor bone spurs. He couldn't feel any abnormalities in the heel so basically just keep doing what I've been doing--avoiding running, stretching, massaging, etc. Sigh. I know that is has improved over the past 3 months but it's frustrating because I never know when it is going to flare up or what things are really helping or not. I ordered a new foot massager since the tennis ball isn't cutting it anymore, we'll see if that helps. Hoping to be running again by the new year...

In the meantime, I am working through a modified form of P90X. I'm skipping the Plyo and Kenpo workouts for my feet's sake, subbing in a bike ride and a long walk instead.

Sorry to hear you can't get rid of that thing Starkess. Hope it gets better soon.

I broke my pb for 10k yesterday evening (perhaps having to jump over the puddles helped ;)). It's 51:25 now. I doubt I will be able to achieve my goal of breaking 50 minutes by the end of the year, but at least I can say I'm making some progress here as well.

On Friday evening I got a quick gym session before my massage.  Just leg press, stretching and some biceps (neglected recently). 

Then this morning was bench press, pull downs and arms.  I kept a fast pace but was still very strong on all sets. 

This afternoon we played a 9-hole par 3 golf for some light fun.  It was my son's first round of golf -- he had a lot of fun. If only he wasn't so talkative while I was hitting. 

Two completely different runs for me on the weekend. On Saturday I went for just a quick 3k and it turned out to be a really quick one, I broke my pb for 3k with 13:29 time (pace of 4:30) and improved my Cooper test result to 2,69 km (previously 2,61 km).

On Sunday, on the other hand, I went for a 5k run and it didn't go so smooth whatsoever. I finished in 24:18 (4:51 pace), so anywhere near my new pb. But 'm glad I could keep it under 25 minutes.

It's getting colder here and going out running becomes more of a challenge every day. It was just 2C degrees yesterday morning.

You need to find the rhythm that suits you best. For me, it's two short breaths in, two short breaths out, one on each step. It may be the same for you, but it doesn't have to be. If you have a specific breathing rhythm while climbing stairs, you can start with that and see if it works.

Hope this has been helpful. 

I was told it's best to inhale by nose and exhale by mouth, but personally I can't do it while running, I do both in and out by mouth. I usually do three steps per inhale and another three per exhale, or two steps in and two out when the training is intensive.

11 hours ago, baxus said:

You need to find the rhythm that suits you best. For me, it's two short breaths in, two short breaths out, one on each step. It may be the same for you, but it doesn't have to be. If you have a specific breathing rhythm while climbing stairs, you can start with that and see if it works.

Hope this has been helpful. 

My next run is this afternoon I'm going to give it a try. 

11 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I was told it's best to inhale by nose and exhale by mouth, but personally I can't do it while running, I do both in and out by mouth. I usually do three steps per inhale and another three per exhale, or two steps in and two out when the training is intensive.

A runner I'm friends with breathes by mouth too. I'm going to try this on Wednesday and compare with today and see where it goes. 

The incorrect breathing is what has really been holding me back. A trainer of mine had observed that I tend to hold my breath.  

Breathing during running: I breathe in for four steps and out for two at low speed (up to 7.5mph) and then drop that ratio to 3:2 and 2:2 as speed increases.  10mph is usually the mark to move to 2:2. 

Last night I squeezed in a quick gym session before a dinner with colleagues.  Shoulder press, pull ups, etc.  Wearing a T-shirt to dinner (very warm evening here) while I was still pumped up from lifting was not the most decourous choice.  

Another business dinner tonight but I managed again to fit in a gym session first: squats, deadlifts and calf press.  I did all my usual sets at full weights, but in just over half the usual time.  I was working pretty hard at that pace but it felt good. I expect sore legs in a couple of days. 

3 hours ago, Starkess said:

I don't think I have ever thought about how I breathe while running. I just...breathe. Oh gods I'm probably doing it all wrong.

If you're not having any problems, you're doing it right. ;) 

hit a PR on the clean at 265lns and almost had a C&J pr at 255, got too excited and pushed forward instead of...well...doing it right.  Get that one soon.

Snatch is still lagging, but getting better.  Feeling a lot more comfortable getting the bar up and punching up.

Pretty excited for my coach - he is going to the University World Championships in a few weeks competing in the 105+ division.  He swept the US competition and should have a shot at a medal, which would be amazing!

On 10/18/2016 at 10:27 PM, Starkess said:

I don't think I have ever thought about how I breathe while running. I just...breathe. Oh gods I'm probably doing it all wrong.

Now you won't be able to stop thinking about it! 

If it starts getting in your head, take some long deep breaths out, even if they span several steps.

I'm far from being an expert and I don't know how much you run per training, but generally I wouldn't recommend running every day if you haven't been running for a while. I think 4 or 5 times a week would be more than enough. 

How's your breathing? I've recently discovered another manner of breathing that suits my especially when I'm already tired: two steps per breath in and three steps per breath out.

Got myself some snazzy new running shoes yesterday. Did the whole gait analysis, and the sales lady was kind of shocked to hear that I didn't now I have high arches. I'd done a wet-foot test before and thought they were regular. Nope. Confirmed I have a neutral gait. Stuck with a relatively low drop (8 mm). They were expensive but...running is a cheap hobby, really, so what's an extra few dollars? I purchase shoes maybe once a year, and I wouldn't have been due for another ~200 miles, but I figured getting new shoes could help me move past injury.

So I went for a run today for the first time since my (terrible) half-marathon back in July. I know that I can be overzealous, so I decided to use the C25K app to help me ease into it and build back up my baseline. Probably a good thing because it felt so good to start running that I probably would have tried to do like 4 miles, which would have been unwise. Instead did an easy walk-run combo for 30 minutes. I don't think I'll do the entire program, but I figure the first 3-4 weeks and then see how I feel.

The run felt good. The shoes felt great, nothing but minor aches in my heels and some tightness in my shins and hips. Fingers crossed!

Archived